Barbell Routines - when you only have dumbbells

Options

Replies

• AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a brace, but even then it is still weak. I snapped both bones at two places at the base of my wrist, and another clean break a little further up near my elbow. Which I guess explains the locking up. I have a hard time increasing the weight because the right side, I can increase a lot quicker, but I have to keep holding back. I've been stuck at curling 20's for a while now. Even those feel like two much after a few reps.

As for hammer curls, I haven't really tried those. Would they still work just as good? I feel like this may be what's hindering any loss in inches. I also have a bad lower back/left hip issue from dislocating it badly. :grumble: I guess arthritis makes these issues a little worse. So when I do dead lifts/rows, things of that nature where the back is arched, it causes sharp pains as well. Would you also suggest a back brace?

I apologize for the rant! I just want to be able to continue lifting, and not let my issues cause a set back in any loss. :ohwell:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have a brace, but even then it is still weak. I snapped both bones at two places at the base of my wrist, and another clean break a little further up near my elbow. Which I guess explains the locking up. I have a hard time increasing the weight because the right side, I can increase a lot quicker, but I have to keep holding back. I've been stuck at curling 20's for a while now. Even those feel like two much after a few reps.

As for hammer curls, I haven't really tried those. Would they still work just as good? I feel like this may be what's hindering any loss in inches. I also have a bad lower back/left hip issue from dislocating it badly. :grumble: I guess arthritis makes these issues a little worse. So when I do dead lifts/rows, things of that nature where the back is arched, it causes sharp pains as well. Would you also suggest a back brace?

I apologize for the rant! I just want to be able to continue lifting, and not let my issues cause a set back in any loss. :ohwell:

Hammer curls are slightly where they hit, but they hit biceps.

Lifting does not impact loss of inches, diet does. It helps maintain LBM though (and increase it while recomping/bulking)

To be honest, the easiest thing would be to have access to the cable and other machines in a gym. Is that an option at all?
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AmandaMaitland
    Options

Lifting does not impact loss of inches, diet does. It helps maintain LBM though (and increase it while recomping/bulking)

To be honest, the easiest thing would be to have access to the cable and other machines in a gym. Is that an option at all?

Oh I know it's mostly diet! I have been on the regimen that you guys gave me for almost 3 weeks and I'm down 5 lbs! Hopefully I will see a difference soon. I just wasn't sure if being unable to lift heavier than I am, will hold me back? I usually do at least 45min to an hour of weights, 3-4 days a week.

I am in the process of saving for things for a new house, so a gym membership.. I can't really afford right now. I do have resistance bands. The machine we have, has interchangeable items. It has an underhand/widegrip pull down bar, and a preacher curl piece. Which is tough. Still, no cables .. I see a lot of routines that are suggested such as stronglifts 5x5 and a few others. I just struggle with some of the exercises, so I'm not sure what to go with..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh I know it's mostly diet! I have been on the regimen that you guys gave me for almost 3 weeks and I'm down 5 lbs! Hopefully I will see a difference soon. I just wasn't sure if being unable to lift heavier than I am, will hold me back? I usually do at least 45min to an hour of weights, 3-4 days a week.

I am in the process of saving for things for a new house, so a gym membership.. I can't really afford right now. I do have resistance bands. The machine we have, has interchangeable items. It has an underhand/widegrip pull down bar, and a preacher curl piece. Which is tough. Still, no cables .. I see a lot of routines that are suggested such as stronglifts 5x5 and a few others. I just struggle with some of the exercises, so I'm not sure what to go with..

Could you link me to a picture of the machine you have.

SL is a great program, but it, and similar ones, are not the only way to mitigate LBM loss.
  • AmandaMaitland
    Options

SL is a great program, but it, and similar ones, are not the only way to mitigate LBM loss.

I guess it's more of a piece of equipment. This is a link to one very similar to mine. The addition to this, is where the preacher curl piece is, it can interchange with a pulldown bar piece.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-Classic-MCB-252-Combo-Bench-with-120-lb-Weight-Set/15571383

I have about 300 lbs worth of weights. I have a barbell, a curling bar, and barbells with interchangeable weights.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this info Sara. I am going to be without free weights soon and will only have dumbbells. These should help until I can save up to get a full weight set and hopefully during that time convince everyone in this house of their necessity. Shouldn't be a hard sell.
  • ghfit
    ghfit Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I guess it's more of a piece of equipment. This is a link to one very similar to mine. The addition to this, is where the preacher curl piece is, it can interchange with a pulldown bar piece.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-Classic-MCB-252-Combo-Bench-with-120-lb-Weight-Set/15571383

I have about 300 lbs worth of weights. I have a barbell, a curling bar, and barbells with interchangeable weights.

I need to cogitate about the chest more...but to hit your biceps a bit (and lats), you can try a narrow grip, supinated lat pull down, where your hands are close together and your palms face you. That may or may not be easier on your wrists.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    some great info on here thanks very much, bumping to have for again.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara!

Question about the Dumbbell OHP. Is it also called the shoulder press? I'm asking because I looked it up and I'm coming up with different approaches.

One is sitting, but I want to do standing ones.

Another shows them as shoulder presses.

And another is showing them more as a standing tricep extension.

Can you verify which it is or maybe a link to it?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Bump for awesomeness. I'm going to try some of these at home this evening.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump so i ca track and reference
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump, Thanks!