I very much dislike...

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
Coconut oil. I just can't do it. I hate coconut anyway so I just can't get over the taste. I made fat bombs last night with butter, coconut oil, and cocoa powder that go in your coffee. They smelled good. I went to drink it. Vomit. Ugh!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    lol if you hate coconut why did you think you would like the unrefined coconut oil :) if you get the refined kind it has no taste
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I guess I need to look for the unrefined kind. I just bought the one I found at Aldi. Thank goodness I have coffee here at work I can make and I have HWC. Blergh.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of coconut oil either. I like coconut milk in recipes or pina coladas ;) but I don't care for the texture of actual coconut or the smell of coconut oil. The taste doesn't really bother me.

At first I made bulletproof coffee with coconut oil and didn't mind the taste too much but the smell of the coconut made me sick. I switched to MCT oil because it has no smell or taste.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, coconut oil is a new obsession and not, at all, required for LCHF. You don't need MCT oil either. If you don't like it, don't bother with it. I stopped consuming any coconut oil a long time ago, although there is still some hanging out in my pantry.

Just find a fat source you do enjoy.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I like butter and HWC does that count as a fat source haha....I will be throwing it away tonight. I've tried about 4 different things with it and I just can't do it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to look for the unrefined kind. I just bought the one I found at Aldi. Thank goodness I have coffee here at work I can make and I have HWC. Blergh.

You need REFINED, not unrefined. Refined has no flavor.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Sorry. I just reread her comment. My coffee had not kicked in yet. I'll try to go find some.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Refined is less flavourful. My oldest does not like coconut oil but I can cook with refined coconut oil. I use it for frying and baking.

Perhaps just skip the coconut oil and buy some MCT oil? It is virtually flavourless and has similar fats. No sense eating food you don't like, right? :)
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I need to find some of that as well and try it!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with @FIT_Goat eat the fats you enjoy! I find it much more fulfillment eating my food rather than drinking it anyway. I tried BPC once, just for curiosity's sake, but it sure as heck didn't fill me up like eggs and bacon do. I find the best way to approach fats is to select the fat based on the food I'm preparing as opposed to trying to consume a set volume of a particular fat each day just to check it off a list. I totally respect those who are committed to their MCT consumption, but it's just not for me. I love food and have to find the best way to achieve total food satisfaction while maintaining eating habits that are best suited to my body, and that includes eating fats that have a taste I enjoy and that enhance the taste of the food I'm eating.

I also find fat a lot more satisfying if I add some protein to it, and vice versa, fat bombs leave me hungry and craving meat. I love the taste of coconut and made the huge mistake of making my husband some chocolate coconut cream pudding last night, I couldn't resist it and had a small bowl and put the rest in the fridge. Then I pulled the bowl out this morning and shoveled it all in my mouth. It tasted great, but my stomach felt like an empty pit of hunger afterward, even though there were only 3 carbs in it. Eating a bowl of fat just does nothing to satisfy my hunger or cravings.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @ paleoinscotland recipe for that please!

@emilybeaver DH cannot stand coconut oil but I like it. I keep two kinds at my house. The unrefined and the refined. He will even cook with it sometimes but more frequently he's been using my homemade ghee. Just glad it's healthy fat...
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @megemrj It's superduper simple. I use 100 ml coconut cream to 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and just mix them together with a spoon or my emulsion blender if I feel like pulling it out. We enjoy it without any sweetener as the coconut offsets the bitterness of the cocoa, but you could always add in your favourite sugar free sweetener to sweeten it up. Then let it set in the fridge for at least an hour.

I tossed in a tbsp of double cream last night too and that made it a little fluffier, and I did use my emulsion blender on this batch. I shared this in the LCHF recipe group and someone else suggested tossing in some peanut butter too - that would probably be yummy, though it would make it more carby.

If you can only buy coconut milk, just scoop the cream out of the tin and leave the coconut water behind. It's a little harder to find the cream vs the milk. It comes in a box on the shelf at my grocery store here.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland Thank you! I will have to try that with some chunky dark chocolate & almond butter. Yummy
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    do you hate the smell of it too or just the taste. you can use it as a moisturizer or after sun lotion if you don't mind the smell.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    do you hate the smell of it too or just the taste. you can use it as a moisturizer or after sun lotion if you don't mind the smell.

This - I'm not a big fan of coconut and I bought some (unrefined - now I know to get the refined kind if I bother getting it again, lol) coconut oil to try out. Don't like the taste, but I do use it on my skin, and on my kids when they get dry skin - I don't have to worry about them ingesting it like regular lotions.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    The smell doesn't bother me, just the taste. I have a coworker (who was the one who actually got me on this WOE) and she uses it for her dry skin. I may try this! Has anyone used it for shaving yet?
  • tigakai
    tigakai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Butter and HWC are great sources of fat if you're doing dairy! Personally I eat coconut oil straight off the spoon, but I don't like cooking with it so I understand how you feel.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    And I did find that I love HWC,butter, and bacon! I don't get paid until Thursday and I've been out of bacon for a week....I want BACON!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    <3