I'm guessing bone broth is very good for us?

Options
13»

Replies

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I've been making chicken bone broth for a few months, but made beef broth for the first time 2 weeks ago. I browned them in a 400 degree oven, then put them in crockpot w/ ac vinegar, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf and black peppercorns. After 12 hours it didn't smell very good and I was worried about the taste. But after 24 hours I strained it, and it was delicious! I had a hard time finding beef bones, but finally asked butcher at the Piggly Wiggly, and they stocked them in the freezer section. I used a combination of marrow and shank bones. When making chicken broth, I've started using just wings b/c they contain a lot of collagen. I read that oxtails make wonderful broth because they also contain a large amount of collagen. I'll keep a lookout for them!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    right, only cellular should have a data charge. not wifi.

She's in Australia, though. As I recall, they charge for data usage, not just bandwidth. (Don't even get me started on the stupidity of data usage caps.)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    A first for me, for lunch today I had: oxtail bone broth. Very good!

Dan

Hey Dan! Have you done marrow broth before? How is oxtail different? My butcher convinced me to buy (steeply discounted!) oxtail today, so I'm simmering my first batch. I can hardly wait til tomorrow to eat it. :smiley:

Yes, to marrow broth. I had that last week. Here is what I wrote on my MFP wall:
    WOW! I may have to start a new hobby: Bone broth. So I went to yet another store and found another bone. It was beef marrow bones. They were big and flat like a disc shape about 3/4 inch thick and 2 1/2" diameter. 5 pieces. $1.99 lb, weighed about 1 1/2 lbs. When I looked at it, I didn't see any fat, just ice crystals where the marrow was. I hesitated ... thinking there would be nothing there to boil out.... but I bought it anyway. $3.25 wasn't going to kill me.

So I set it up to boil over night, at the lowest setting on my stovetop, just about 210 degrees or just about boiling. I used about 2 quarts of water, some vinegar, salts and spices, cracked pepper. Covered with a lid. In the morning, I went to pour it out into my mason jars and I notice that the whole interior of the bone ~ was gone. There was just a thin walled donut of a bone left. I saw the marrow floating on top, so I tasted it, yummy!

But, wait, there's more. I chilled it down, and at lunch, in the pint jar, there was about a solid inch or maybe more of white lard/fat on top. I couldn't believe how much fat was in the marrow! I looked at my other jars when I got home, and they have slightly less. I think if I put all of in one container, I could of rendered ~ maybe 1/2 lb of fat/lard (more or less). The taste was wonderful ~ as usual.

So far, I haven't been disappointed with any bone broth I've made so far: pork neck, chicken, beef rib bones, and the above marrow bones. If you haven't made bone broth yet, you might as well not make any now. I don't want you to kick yourself ~ for not doing so sooner.... : )

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• DittoDan
    Options

Dan

Hey Dan! Have you done marrow broth before? How is oxtail different? My butcher convinced me to buy (steeply discounted!) oxtail today, so I'm simmering my first batch. I can hardly wait til tomorrow to eat it. :smiley:

How many oxtails did you use? Those things are tiny.

I found a package that had a pound and half. There was one big one, then it looked like they kept chopping the tail and they got smaller and smaller. The biggest was 2 1/2" diameter, the smallest 1" diameter.

It used to be when I went to different grocery stores to search for different season salts (it's a hobby of mine to collect them). I have over +50 season salts. So I pretty much don't search for that anymore, but now, I look forward to seeing what kind of different bones I can find. Every store has different bones. I buy them all! And its really good, cause I can use all different salts with all my different bone. Kinda like women's shoes, I can eat a different broth/seasoning every day! Only in America... :smile:

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A timely topic for me: I just finished picking Henney Penney down to the bone for broth. I cook my broth overnight in my crock pot, which I put in the garage so I don't dream about chickens all night.

Several people mentioned adding vinegar. As I understand it, apple cider vinegar helps to extract the maximum mineral goodness from the bones; it's not for taste or texture. Here's my formula: chicken carcass (haven't tried beef bones yet), two onions, some celery stalks, four carrots, two small sweet potatoes, 3 unpeeled garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, whatever aromatics take my fancy at the time, just enough filtered water to cover the veggies. If you don't have all that on hand, I'm thinking onions and carrots would be the minimum for a full, rounded flavor. You can sub lemon juice for the apple cider vinegar but use one or the other.

It may sound like a lot of trouble (certainly more than popping open a can of Swanson's Chicken Broth) but when you see the result you'll understand why it's worth it. Right now my own digestive system is in a parlous state and I'm kicking myself for not having broth already made and ready to work its magic.

I was never very good at those combination/permutation problems in statistics class but I'm pretty sure there are NOT 200 ways to do this. If you want some other ideas, however, do a search on Pinterest for "bone broth."

On the vinegar. I'm reading a great book from Dr. Kellyann, "Bone Broth Diet". She recommends 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar. Vinegar will dissolve the collagen/some of the bone. It will not impart the strong taste, heat neutralizes that taste.

On the amount of water. She says, 1 inch over the thickest bone. The extra is to account for evaporation.

She recommends for cooking time:
    12-24 hours for beef & pork bones.
    6-8 hrs turkey bones
    4-6 hrs chicken bones
    1 hr 15 minutes: fish bones

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Another tip I do when making broth - I put the bones on a sheet pan and roast them at a high temp (about 375-400) for half an hour to 45 minutes. That roasting kind of carmelizes things and gives an extra layer of flavour to broth. Then I load up the stock pot and let it simmer for 4 or 5 hours. I throw in onion & garlic & bay leaf, peppercorns, carrots & celery if I have it on hand.

I've only done it with turkey bones though. I've not attempted a beef broth before. I currently have fifteen 2 1/2-3 cup baggies of broth in the freezer for making soups.

The book I'm reading says this also. Since you confirmed this, I gots ta do it! I can't imagine it tasting better, but this does sound tastier... :)

Thank you CakeDiva!

Dan
  • TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another tip I do when making broth - I put the bones on a sheet pan and roast them at a high temp (about 375-400) for half an hour to 45 minutes. That roasting kind of carmelizes things and gives an extra layer of flavour to broth. Then I load up the stock pot and let it simmer for 4 or 5 hours. I throw in onion & garlic & bay leaf, peppercorns, carrots & celery if I have it on hand.

I've only done it with turkey bones though. I've not attempted a beef broth before. I currently have fifteen 2 1/2-3 cup baggies of broth in the freezer for making soups.

The book I'm reading says this also. Since you confirmed this, I gots ta do it! I can't imagine it tasting better, but this does sound tastier... :)

Thank you CakeDiva!

Dan

No problem! I'm a bit of a Food Network junkie - I'm in Canada though, so some of our shows are different. And one of my favourite chefs - Michael Smith - recommends this. So I do it! I can't say it really improves flavour, but all the little carmalized bits of meat & fat can't be all that bad!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    motown13 wrote: »
    right, only cellular should have a data charge. not wifi.

She's in Australia, though. As I recall, they charge for data usage, not just bandwidth. (Don't even get me started on the stupidity of data usage caps.)

Yes indeedy, I've been looking in to it. Right now I pay $55 a month for a pathetic 7GB a month, which is why I cant watch you tube vidaos, it sucks too much data. To get unlimited data, I have to get a modem that plugs in to my phone line, that'll cost around $80-100 per month. Sorry don't want to derail... This whole internet/wifi thing is just plain confusing.

I am however learning lots about how make a killer bone broth :+1:
  • DittoDan
    Options

Dan

Yes, to marrow broth. I had that last week. Here is what I wrote on my MFP wall:
    WOW! I may have to start a new hobby: Bone broth. So I went to yet another store and found another bone. It was beef marrow bones. They were big and flat like a disc shape about 3/4 inch thick and 2 1/2" diameter. 5 pieces. $1.99 lb, weighed about 1 1/2 lbs. When I looked at it, I didn't see any fat, just ice crystals where the marrow was. I hesitated ... thinking there would be nothing there to boil out.... but I bought it anyway. $3.25 wasn't going to kill me.

So I set it up to boil over night, at the lowest setting on my stovetop, just about 210 degrees or just about boiling. I used about 2 quarts of water, some vinegar, salts and spices, cracked pepper. Covered with a lid. In the morning, I went to pour it out into my mason jars and I notice that the whole interior of the bone ~ was gone. There was just a thin walled donut of a bone left. I saw the marrow floating on top, so I tasted it, yummy!

But, wait, there's more. I chilled it down, and at lunch, in the pint jar, there was about a solid inch or maybe more of white lard/fat on top. I couldn't believe how much fat was in the marrow! I looked at my other jars when I got home, and they have slightly less. I think if I put all of in one container, I could of rendered ~ maybe 1/2 lb of fat/lard (more or less). The taste was wonderful ~ as usual.

So far, I haven't been disappointed with any bone broth I've made so far: pork neck, chicken, beef rib bones, and the above marrow bones. If you haven't made bone broth yet, you might as well not make any now. I don't want you to kick yourself ~ for not doing so sooner.... : )

I hope this helps,
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

Here is a pic of the fat ~ from the bone marrow. (this was one of 4 jars, albeit it had the most fat):

qwyfygp4sbgy.png

I skimmed it out and left a little. I'll use it to cook something in it.

Dan

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Dan

What is so incredible is how filling it is, easy to make, perfect to have on hand! Hope I'm not going overboard here to say that, for me, it is like my body ( digestive system) wanted this.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have a question about bone broths. I love drinking broth at work (like tea). And am thinking I'd like to add bone broth to my mornings at home. The issue is: our house is mostly vegetarian. I cook chicken or beef in the crockpot on weekends, and periodically grill a steak, or sausages but hubs is mostly vegetarian.

I see that some folks are cooking it in the crockpot, I could see that happening at my house...
    Does anyone buy bones just for that? I don't interact with bones a lot. :)

Also, does anyone use organic store bought bone broth like the ones that come in the tetra pack?

Thanks!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    How do y'all figure out the calories/macros in bone broth?
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    For chicken bone broth, I mostly use wings b/c they're a good mix of bone and collagen. I buy a large bag of frozen wings at Costco. I buy beef bones (usually frozen) at the grocery store; some of the bones have a little meat on them. I used to buy the organic broth, but what I make in the crockpot is so, so much better. Do try it!

As far as calories, macros---I have no idea how to do that. I'm not really concerned about it, either, since drinking broth is allowed/encouraged during intermittent fasting. I'm thinking if I can drink it w/o throwing my fasting out of whack, I don't have to worry about macros. Somebody can correct if I'm wrong about that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For chicken bone broth, I mostly use wings b/c they're a good mix of bone and collagen. I buy a large bag of frozen wings at Costco. I buy beef bones (usually frozen) at the grocery store; some of the bones have a little meat on them. I used to buy the organic broth, but what I make in the crockpot is so, so much better. Do try it!

As far as calories, macros---I have no idea how to do that. I'm not really concerned about it, either, since drinking broth is allowed/encouraged during intermittent fasting. I'm thinking if I can drink it w/o throwing my fasting out of whack, I don't have to worry about macros. Somebody can correct if I'm wrong about that.

Thanks for this. And yes, my understanding is BB can be used during the fasting stage.
  • DittoDan
    Options

I'm not tracking now, BUT, if I did, since there is so much variation in the fat content, this is what I would do:

1) Make the broth and put in mason jar, set in fridge.
    2) After it fully cools, carefully remove the fat (I do it every day, its not hard).
    3) Weigh it on a gram digital food scale.
    4) Trim and/or record amount of fat there and put it back into the jar. Sometimes I get an inch thick slab of fat, which is just too much taste-wise and calorie-wise. I cut it down and drop the leftover into my grease can.
    5) There is mostly water and jello (collagen) left, which has hardly any calories/macros.

All oils are the same caloric-wise per gram.

Dan
  • Christine_72
    Options

I'm not tracking now, BUT, if I did, since there is so much variation in the fat content, this is what I would do:

1) Make the broth and put in mason jar, set in fridge.
    2) After it fully cools, carefully remove the fat (I do it every day, its not hard).
    3) Weigh it on a gram digital food scale.
    4) Trim and/or record amount of fat there and put it back into the jar. Sometimes I get an inch thick slab of fat, which is just too much taste-wise and calorie-wise. I cut it down and drop the leftover into my grease can.
    5) There is mostly water and jello (collagen) left, which has hardly any calories/macros.

All oils are the same caloric-wise per gram.

Dan

Awesomness Thank you :smile:
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that collagen is a protein. It's not a complete protein source, but I'm guessing if you did an analysis of good quality bone broth that there would be a fair amount of protein in it.

For logging, I use the "Homemade Bone Broth" entry, logs it as 86 cal/cup some fat and some protein.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried any recipes from the Brodo book? It sounds tasty!