April Challenges

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    What about processed meats, like sausages containing a couple of grams of carbs?

In general, I read the labels and avoid anything with more than 1-2 grams of carbs per serving (and make sure the serving is what I would eat). So, if something has 1 gram per serving and two servings per link, I might eat it. If it was 2 grams per serving and two servings per link, I might not. That's borderline. I definitely wouldn't have more than one in a day. These are also foods that I wouldn't make a regular part of my diet. As a treat, sure. But, I don't eat them every day. I might eat them a few days in a row, to finish off the package, but it wouldn't be long-term.

In short, it's not a big deal if they're not an everyday thing and they aren't a huge portion of what you eat. I don't count carbs. I have no intention of starting to count them, because I avoid things with carbs in the first place.

I worry less when eating out. If I am getting smoked ribs, for example, I don't stress about the carbs in the dry rub. They are what they are. If I am getting sausages, when out, I can't know for sure how many carbs are in one. I don't freak out about it. It is one meal, on one day, in a lifetime of meat eating. It's not going to be a huge setback. I do avoid things that are obviously sweet or carb-filled. For example, I won't get ribs covered in BBQ sauce.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    Question:
    Since I use MFP in mobile, exclusively, If I apply the calorie hiding script on PC, will it continue to hide calories on the phone app?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The script is modifying how the specific browser is displaying. So if we are using a different browser or device, it isn't going to work.

That's what I expected. I'm going to just not log at all probably. It's funny that I will find that difficult. Lol
    Hmmm. Or maybe like he suggested, log it but don't let calories dictate anything and I'm already "eyeballing" my entries anyway.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    At the end of my first bacon day I am really really hungry. I had my bacon eaten by 3:30... twelve slices wasn`t a lot. I think I might cut back on my coconut oil so I can have more bacon.

Protein was really low too. Only 46g for the day. The fat to protein ratio for my bacon is 3:1. that does not leave much wiggle room.
    baconslave wrote: »
    Question:
    Since I use MFP in mobile, exclusively, If I apply the calorie hiding script on PC, will it continue to hide calories on the phone app?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The script is modifying how the specific browser is displaying. So if we are using a different browser or device, it isn't going to work.

That's what I expected. I'm going to just not log at all probably. It's funny that I will find that difficult. Lol
    Hmmm. Or maybe like he suggested, log it but don't let calories dictate anything and I'm already "eyeballing" my entries anyway.

You could always assign the foods a 1 kcal value for April. For example, 1 oz of cheddar could be logged as cheddar - April 1 kcal. It would be more work but you would be truly blind to calories.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Started all meat today, wish me luck.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Best of luck @krazyforyou !!

I'm in for both, since I do them already, too! Will report in when the threads are up. I did begin the ground beef challenge today, so my first three weeks of April will be that, then I will continue with foods from the animal kingdom only!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Good luck, everyone!
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'd like to do one of these challenges, but I'm curious, what's the benefit of eating all meat instead of meat and vegetables? Don't you need vegetables to be healthy? I understand not eating bread or any kind of crap like that, but I guess I don't see the point of cutting out vegetables. Or is there some reason why it's good to cut them out temporarily?
  • lisawinning4losing
    At any rate, count me in! I guess I'll be doing Ad Lib. Basically, just meat, eggs, vegetables, and a little bit of dairy, nothing else. I could do that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I'd like to do one of these challenges, but I'm curious, what's the benefit of eating all meat instead of meat and vegetables? Don't you need vegetables to be healthy? I understand not eating bread or any kind of crap like that, but I guess I don't see the point of cutting out vegetables. Or is there some reason why it's good to cut them out temporarily?

You actually don't need vegetables at all. Meat contains way more nutrients than it's ever been given credit for. It is a complete food that meets all of our nutritional requirements.
    The benefit of doing it? Well, you would have to give it a shot and see if there is benefit for you. Maybe there wouldn't be, but I know that I heard from some that tried it last year that they felt great and never realized they could actually feel even better. Kind of how we are so surprised by all of little ways low carb made us feel better... Turns out, it's possible some people reach even greater health on carnivore.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,046 Member
    Count me in for AAA ! I will likely start right after Easter. The timing is right, can't wait.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    I'm in for Ad Lib April.

This is close to how I usually eat anyway, protein and calorie tracking is just too much work and I very much doubt it can be done accurately. What I know is that as long as I control carbs everything else takes care of itself and the weight keeps going down. I started with a huge amount to lose, so that may have helped. Also, I don't like meat or fat so by controlling carbs I'm in fact controlling all the foods that I'm likely to overeat. My carb indulgence is fruit but I'm willing to go zero carb all day just so I can have an apple with my lunch.

I have a 50g/day limit, with a 20g limit on any one meal. Most days I stay under 20-30g. It'll be interesting to track carbs more carefully.

:flowerforyou::
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    OK, so, if we are doing all meat, do we weigh it, or do we just eat enough to feel satisfied then stop. This has me intrigued, and I must say, a little frightened. I am one who lives and dies by the food scale, and even with that, I've been steadily gaining. The thought of not weighing, measuring, logging scares the begeebers out of me. That said, I'm curious to try it. Same with the Ad lib. I think I am one of the "lucky" few, who calories do matter for. I would love to be proven wrong.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Hmm, thanks for the explanation. But I'm still afraid of becoming constipated. Lol. We'll see. Maybe I have to ease into it. But, I'm actually starting already, because I might as well get a jump on it!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    @ChoiceNotChance you don't have to do both All Animal and Ad Lib ... they're both just themes for fun ... it should reduce stress not add to it, so if you want to continue logging, but try the theme of All Animal or All Meat or whatever, that's totally cool! :smile:

@lisawinning4losing I like this link http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html and the rest of the blog too
  • lisawinning4losing
    kirkor wrote: »
    @ChoiceNotChance you don't have to do both All Animal and Ad Lib ... they're both just themes for fun ... it should reduce stress not add to it, so if you want to continue logging, but try the theme of All Animal or All Meat or whatever, that's totally cool! :smile:

@lisawinning4losing I like this link http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html and the rest of the blog too

Thanks for blog! It's not entirely new info for me, but, it does help to explain things. Heck, maybe I will just go full on animal style for 30 days and see what happens. I can always add some veggies back in if I want to, but I guess the point is to reset your system. At this point, I have nothing to lose. It won't be the first time in my life that I've gone 30 days without vegetables. Lol! The SAD diet usually doesn't contain much, and I know all about that, though I've been eating a lot more veggie lately. What I'm trying to say is that 30 days without veggies certainly won't kill me. I'm still not sure how my digestive system is going to react without some source of fiber, but maybe it won't be that bad.
  • Magpie469221
    Magpie469221 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm in for trying the Ad Libitum April :)
  • FIT_Goat
    You don't get constipate from not eating fiber. Things move along very well. There will be less of it, significantly so, but you won't have problems actually going when you need to.
  • FIT_Goat
    Bump for those who haven't seen it yet.
  • tigakai
    tigakai Posts: 23 Member
    I'm in for the all-animal April. Will be using this last week to transition and will use up the rest of my veggies consuming more meat on a gradient. Excited to see how it turns out!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    My all bacon starter challenge is a fail for me. Fourteen strips of bacon a day is not filling. Tasty, but not filling. I've added in other meats to help me feel satiated... Still not feeling full before about 2200 kcal but I'll cut calories when I can... maybe when hormones level out. So not worth it at the moment. LOL