April Challenges

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    I use only Olive or avocado oil mixed with MCT oil for my mayo- no corn or canola products. I will use it sparingly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I use only Olive or avocado oil mixed with MCT oil for my mayo- no corn or canola products. I will use it sparingly.

Do you have a good recipe for that? It sounds good!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I'm in for ad lib April!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    @nvmomketo This is the basic recipe I go by:http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

It's super easy and delicious ☺
  • nvmomketo
    This is the basic recipe I go by:http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Thank you! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    @nvmomketo This is the basic recipe I go by:http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

What kind of egg do you use for that? Do you get pasturized or just brave the unknown with regular?
    I need to make my own mayo, but DH would lay an egg if I bought expensive eggs just for it. I don't have access to farm fresh ones.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

What kind of egg do you use for that? Do you get pasturized or just brave the unknown with regular?
    I need to make my own mayo, but DH would lay an egg if I bought expensive eggs just for it. I don't have access to farm fresh ones.

Rotflmao brilliant. Just visualised that with appropriate chicken laying sound effects. Thanks!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

Rotflmao brilliant. Just visualised that with appropriate chicken laying sound effects. Thanks!

I try to mentally imagine that when he gets like that so I can stay uncranky about his reactions.
  • nvmomketo
    LOL
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Do you know how hard it is to make a "good" bacon-grease mayo? It's nearly impossible! But, it is that or live without mayo at all (which is actually what I do most of the time).

So have you found a decent bacon grease mayo recipe? I was thinking (if I turn out to be okay with coconuts) I'd make it with some MCT to decrease the viscosity. The flavor's enough to deal with, without it drying out a chicken salad instead of adding moisture.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    I'm in for All kinds of Meats along with mct oil on April 1. I couldn't do the All Bacon Challenge, after I saw what PaleoinScotland was going through after 1 day... I porked out!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    @baconslave- I just use regular old eggs for the mayo. DH knows a guy who raises chickens so we get them pretty cheap. I don't like the idea of paying extra for something that comes out of a chicken's rear.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm in for both! I need to get back to all meat (though I am proud of myself for doing better this Easter than I did last year).
    kvinson80 wrote: »
    I am a newbie - have been doing LC for a little over 2 weeks now and am seeing pretty good weight loss but am still struggling with cutting out "sweetened" things... So, I am interested in the All Animal April as I think it may help me break those habits. Question though: what is included in the allowed "high fat/low carb dairy"?

Go for the highest fat content available, basically. Heavy whipping cream (heavy cream) is ideal for fluid dairy. Butter is good. Full fat cheeses and sour creams. None of that "reduced fat" crap. Cream cheese over Neufatchel cheese, etc.
    OK, so, if we are doing all meat, do we weigh it, or do we just eat enough to feel satisfied then stop. This has me intrigued, and I must say, a little frightened. I am one who lives and dies by the food scale, and even with that, I've been steadily gaining. The thought of not weighing, measuring, logging scares the begeebers out of me. That said, I'm curious to try it. Same with the Ad lib. I think I am one of the "lucky" few, who calories do matter for. I would love to be proven wrong.

The fact that you're intimidated by the idea is arguably the best reason to go ahead and do ad lib. However, that's up to you.

In the ZC world, intake is generally measured by weight, not calories. You might eat 1-2lbs of meat a day, for example. It's encouraged to eat when you're hungry, eat enough until satisfied, then stop. If you're not hungry for meat, then you're not hungry.

I think you'd be surprised about the calorie thing, especially if you do all meat. Personally, I actually lose weight on a caloric intake in which I stall or even gain on any other way of eating. It's all about the hormones.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I think I'm going to try all meat, at least for a while. Don't know if I'll make a whole month. It could be a budget killer. It's going to be all animal, not going to restrict myself to ground beef. Are we saying no condiments? I sure do love a glob of home made mayo on my meat.
    Are there actual guidelines anywhere?

It really isn't as bad on the budget as you might expect. You're dropping the foods with a very high $/calorie ratio. Veggies don't pack much punch per dollar spent. You're also not going to be replacing the veggies by volume or weight, just by calories. An extra 200 calories of meat is probably even cheaper than it would have been to get the 200 calories of veggies.

Condiments are fine. Multiple types of meat are encouraged (don't be one type of meat unless you've done this before or have a reason to go that simple). I try and avoid vegetable oils, but if a little homemade mayo is what it takes to keep things achievable, go for it. Supplements aren't deal-breakers either (although no fiber supplements). Seasonings, coffee, tea, sparkling water... all fine. No artificial sweeteners.

That's basically it.

Edit: My issue with vegetable oils is that they're really not healthy for you. They also mess up the omega ratios and can cause inflammation. Long-term, I highly encourage them to be removed from your diet. They are 0 carb, though, and shouldn't really negate the benefits of doing all-animal. If the difference between success and failure, for someone, is a couple TBS of mayo a once or twice a week, then I would say they should keep the mayo. There's time to clean up the little things after the big things are addressed.

I'd qualify that condiment one -- certain ones are fine. ie - mayo is fine, but ketchup isn't (it's got way too much sugar in it).
  • ChoiceNotChance
    OK- I've started today- a little in advance of April. I'm all animal. I have 2 6oz burgers lined up for supper, doubtful that I would be able to eat that much. It will be interesting to see. I did weight the meat because I had no idea how much my burgers weighed and where they stood, calorie-wise. now that I know, I won't stress about it.
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    I'll do both! I already don't track, but since I have stopped losing, I imagine carb creep is the problem. All meat and continued not tracking sounds great.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    Another question, if you please... If I'm doing all animal, do I try to get more fat than protein or just not sweat it?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Another question, if you please... If I'm doing all animal, do I try to get more fat than protein or just not sweat it?

It really depends on how much you're eating. I mainly focus on fatty cuts, which gets me more fat (percentage by calories) than protein. But, if you're not eating very much, you might end up closer to 60% fat and 40% protein. Obey your desire. If fat nauseates you and has no appeal, stick with leaner cuts. If you find yourself thinking of fried skin, butter, or mayo then you might want to try fattier cuts.

Not every meal has to be full of fat. Not every meal has to be lean. Eat meat you like and want. I don't sweat the macros at all.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    I started All Animal April yesterday. I had 2 nice big burgers with grease for supper. I'm trying to somewhat limit my daily, it's too easy to rely on that for extra fat. Scale weight was down about 2 lbs today from yesterday but, truth be told, I believe yesterday's high was an anomaly due to my weekend "indiscretions". Not "sweating the macros", just want to make sure I eat enough to not be hungry. I'm not used to eating large portions of meat, but I'm sure I can adjust, lol. Must take BACON out of the freezer!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    I am on day 4 my all animal april. Made a go of beef mince only for 3 days... crashed n burned.... no survivors!

Will do this all meat for the days I am not playing with my girlfriends in Kuala Lumpar or later when my mum visits. Thus the early start n poss late finish into meativore May.

In 4 days of meat and not calorie counting, tonight I am finally feeling genuinely hungry. This morning sinus happy plus scale shows 1 kilo lost in 3 days, so off to a healthy start and bonus weight loss.