Very lc eaters...ever experience this?

Options
LemonMarmalade
LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
Last Feb I began eating a basically zero carb diet. I lost a lot of weight and felt great until I started having severe reflux and upper right quadrant discomfort. I went to my doctor and they ran blood tests and sent me for an ultrasound and found nothing at all wrong. Gallbladder was clear, liver was fine as were my pancreas and kidneys.

I was advised to try getting back on a carb heavy diet. The discomfort went away after awhile and I absolutely refused to take the Prilosec for longer than two weeks. The reflux went away as well with the carb heavy diet eventually. Unfortunately the cico ideal does not work for me and I have gained 5 of the 50 pounds I lost back. Even with exercise.

Has anyone experienced this?? I tried a wild diet version recently and had the same issues but when I ate a bowl of white rice and the discomfort subsided. I don't understand and never had this issue before my 40s. I am trying again against my drs wishes because I hate feeling fat and bloated....plus I still have weight to lose.

Sorry I hope this all makes sense I am typing on my phone and editing is a bit more difficult for me.

JC

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder any longer but I have had an issue on and off recently with pain under my ribs where my gallbladder used to be. Not sure if it's my liver or what. Last check my blood work was good so IDK what causes the pain. I haven't tried eating carbs to see if it would help. It seems to come and go.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that. If aything I have less pains (like from constipation) since I have gone very low carb.

I hope you figure it out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There is another thread here on pancreatitis. I suggest reading it. There were some great tips about adjusting to the higher fats slowly... To me, it sounds like this might be a warning sign to take the adjustment slowly...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10356619/pancreatitis-anyone#latest
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!! My doctor is fairly sure it isn't pancreatitis but I will take it slow this time and see what happens. :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to scare you, I just want you to know of my experience with my gallbladder. Over an almost two year period I had what I considered to be gallbladder attacks. Had right upper quadrant pain that radiated through the shoulder blades. Three "normal" gallbladder ultrasounds later they decided to go ahead and remove it. It was no where close to normal! Was full of stones, and had a white color to it! Normal ultrasounds can't be trusted when symptoms persist! Do not ignore the pain, but I do not believe what you are experiencing is keto related! Hope you feel better!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!! My doctor is fairly sure it isn't pancreatitis but I will take it slow this time and see what happens. :smile:

@5marshallsstrong I was not indicating a thought of it being pancreatitis - but rather to use the technique indicated of how to add the fats in slowly, since going back full on low carb was triggering your issue. The spelled out clarity of how to add the fats in and allow your body to adjust rang true to me, regardless of WHAT your body is going, just that it is reacting to the higher fats without enough ramp up time.