Let's talk exercise.

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
What do you do for exercise on a regular basis?

I punch a heavy bag for 20 - 30 minutes at a time.... ( somehow, this doesn't hurt my back, and my back can give me incredible pain )

I go to the gym and use the "TruStretch" machine.

And I walk.

Sometimes, when nobody is around I throw on my kids Nintendo and do some Wii Dance, if my back is feeling OK.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 to 6 days a week, take a kickboxing class once a week and occasionally do cardio - maybe two or three times a week.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lift twice a week, cardio intervals 4 times a week.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lift with a trainer 2x a week, Aquafit once a week, and get I a daily walk with the dog.
  • eatbadlyplate
    eatbadlyplate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Walk just under 3km (circular route) in just under 30 mins, aim for daily but in reality 5/7
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do weights and strength training 3 - 5x per week. I also do yoga 1-2x per week.
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I take Krav Maga classes 4 times a week, which includes at least one sparring and or ground fighting class. Lift 1-2x a week and walk an average of 2 miles total back and forth to work.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I walk. I prefer running but arthritis is trying to steal it from me (and I'm actively working with doc, chiro, massage therapist trying to steal it back!!). Recently added 2, 10-minute sessions of "dead bug" exercises in an attempt to begin core strengthening but it's too soon to tell if it's going to be useful.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I walk. I prefer running but arthritis is trying to steal it from me (and I'm actively working with doc, chiro, massage therapist trying to steal it back!!). Recently added 2, 10-minute sessions of "dead bug" exercises in an attempt to begin core strengthening but it's too soon to tell if it's going to be useful.

I love dead bug exercises lol my PT had me do them for my back years ago. It's kinda of relaxing.

Walking does it for me right now though, I'm just getting back into exercise. I'm very excited though to rediscover my hibernating gym rat. I used to love working out before the lbs piled on, but I'm getting there.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Running 2-3 times per week between 3-5 miles each, 2-3 swims per week about an hour each time. 3-4 days per week I cycle commute so easyish pace for about an hour total per day. Karate training 2 nights per week and I'm trying to get back to lifting a couple of times a week. It looks like a lot when I write it down! I probably average 8 hours per week of cardio. My endurance has improved amazingly well since I switched to low carb, I very rarely feel like I don't have the energy for one of my activities, where before I would be struggling by Thursday or Friday every week.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I walk the dog because she insists.

I bike to the store or to the library when the weather is nice and car traffic is at a lull. Sometimes just for the fun of it.

I run a few days a week. Mostly because it's easy and I can track my progress in terms of speed and endurance. I figure it probably helps maintain bone strength too. Longer trail runs some days, hill sprints some days, mid-pace 5K most days.

I do bodyweight stuff pretty much daily. My favorite is declined push ups on a balance board -- I try to keep it interesting.

I hate the gym. It makes me feel like a hamster in a Habitrail(TM), but I try to go once in a while to lift weights.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I walk a few miles every lunch hour during the week. I'll start biking more consistently now that the weather is changing. I also try to go to the gym once or twice a week for weight lifting but since we started renovating our upstairs, we haven't been there in a LONG time! :) I also do yoga on a pretty consistent basis, it is healing all my back/sciatica issues!!
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. It's the one thing that I can do without wanting to give up after 10 minutes. I've also been walking and using a portable peddler while I watch tv.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just walk, I aim for 15kms (9-10m) everyday.
    I keep saying I'm going to join the gym and hit the weights.. One day...
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    12 hours per week of moderate to intense cardio

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical machine. It's the one thing that I can do without wanting to give up after 10 minutes. I've also been walking and using a portable peddler while I watch tv.

I fall off of ellipticals. Repeatedly. Kudos to you! :-)
  • anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Lift every other day (compound lifts squat, bench, deadlift, military press, rows, pull-ups, and dips). On lift days I also run as fast as possible for about 1.5 miles (~7:15 min/miles). Non lifting days are a 4 mile run (~8:15 min/mile). Rest day every 6-7th day. Will start mountain biking once the trails are ok to ride.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I do free weights/machines - 1 -1.5 hours 3 times a week. I don't do real cardio - I hate treadmills. I'm walking almost every day, 5-8k, I used to do 10-12K, but I have less time right now.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If I can get my back fixed, my goal is to eventually be able to do TRX exercises.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I like to stop off at the park and walk a half hour on my way home from work.

>:) or o:)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I try to do strength 3x/wk (You Are Your Own Gym, which is a body weight workout and pretty good to start with).
    I am also trying to do running or HIIT a few times a week, and I'd love to do yoga/stretching more often. I think I have too many goals and I end up not doing enough. :tongue: