Why won't it stop....

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
So the past few days my anxiety has skyrocketed and I'm shaky. I don't know if it's correlated to this diet or not. I am dizzy and anxious and shaky again today. I've been eating to my calories a day or over. I almost want to eat something carby to just see if that helps, but my mind is telling me NO!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you should get a blood sugar monitor and check it when this is happening.
    If it is low blood sugar, eating carbs would certainly "fix it", but it's not a good long term plan to manage it that way as the underlying cause will just progressively get worse.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Most likely the anxiety is hormonally or situationally driven, rather than dietary unless something has changed drastically in the last week or two. Stick with your carb consumption. Don't up it unless this continues on 6-12 weeks.

Exceptions being if you have known/treated issues in this arena and/or already take medications.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    My coworker has diabetes and I've asked him before to check it when I was having these symptoms and it was 86. I've been trying to get lower my AS and not drink caffeine. I don't kn
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Whoops. I don't know if it's coupled with that and the awful weekend I had or what.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Most likely the anxiety is hormonally or situationally driven, rather than dietary unless something has changed drastically in the last week or two. Stick with your carb consumption. Don't up it unless this continues on 6-12 weeks.

Exceptions being if you have known/treated issues in this arena and/or already take medications.

I take Effexor daily at the lowest dosage. I've tried to up it (per dr order) and I had awful side effects with it. I was prescribed an "emergency drug" for my anxiety a couple of weeks ago. I just feel like it's gotten worse since I started this WOE. But I love it and don't want to stop doing it because I love the results I'm getting.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...
    There must be a hormonal trigger of some other sort then. Or possibly just a mental thing? Do you find yourself feeling restricted and thinking about foods you "can't have" but you still want?
    I had to literally work in my definition of what food is. I do not even consider bread, pasta, sugary stuff... Etc, food anymore. It took some work, and I had to think of that stuff like a bad drug, but I am no more tempted by those foods than I am a can of dog food. I could eat either one to stay alive, but they aren't ideal foods for me. I don't want to just stay alive, I want to be the best I can be.
    If there are thoughts like that on your mind consistently, it could simply be a little panic related to feeling like you're missing out or restricted too much.
    You could either lighten up a bit or work to change the mindset.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I don't think that is the issue. I don't think of bread and pasta anymore. Sweets is still my big thing. I haven't found one I like yet and being TOM I want all the sweets. I wish I would have documented when it happened last time. Maybe it is just a hormonal thing. I'll document it this time and then see what happens next month.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I take Effexor daily at the lowest dosage. I've tried to up it (per dr order) and I had awful side effects with it. I was prescribed an "emergency drug" for my anxiety a couple of weeks ago. I just feel like it's gotten worse since I started this WOE. But I love it and don't want to stop doing it because I love the results I'm getting.

A good friend of mine had to shift from keto levels to a higher low carb because it was fueling her manic episodes within her bipolar/manic-depressive disorder. Do you take anything like Inositol or any other natural (non-interfering) supplements to help with the anxiety? It sounds like the "emergency drug" might not be working. I know that neither myself nor my ex-husband had any real luck with Effexor - and the withdrawal symptoms from it were total hellish misery.

And like with our health and metabolism, sometimes things have to get worse before better. I would make sure you are actually seeing a psychiatrist for anything to do with anxiety if you're aren't already. A PCP has limited knowledge of prescription meds, which typically only extends to the stuff from pharma reps and their own studies...
  • emilybeaver
    Options

A good friend of mine had to shift from keto levels to a higher low carb because it was fueling her manic episodes within her bipolar/manic-depressive disorder. Do you take anything like Inositol or any other natural (non-interfering) supplements to help with the anxiety? It sounds like the "emergency drug" might not be working. I know that neither myself nor my ex-husband had any real luck with Effexor - and the withdrawal symptoms from it were total hellish misery.

And like with our health and metabolism, sometimes things have to get worse before better. I would make sure you are actually seeing a psychiatrist for anything to do with anxiety if you're aren't already. A PCP has limited knowledge of prescription meds, which typically only extends to the stuff from pharma reps and their own studies...

I've been on Effexor for almost 5 years at the same dosage. I have yet to take the emergency drug because they have not been full blown panic attacks yet. I'll have to do some research on the other supplements. I never thought of doing that.
    I actually have a referral in to see a psychiatrist and have yet to get a phone call. I probably will be calling today.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    So I've been doing some research this morning. I think at some point I'm going to order SAM-e and GABA. They are all natural and have been proven to help with anxiety. They are more expensive than my Effexor but if they are natural and help me I'm willing to try them.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Oh and I got a unsweet tea with AS from McDonald's. Not near as shaky now and I feel better!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    So I've been doing some research this morning. I think at some point I'm going to order SAM-e and GABA. They are all natural and have been proven to help with anxiety. They are more expensive than my Effexor but if they are natural and help me I'm willing to try them.

With the SAM-e, lookg for the balancing side of it too, the I think it is 5-HTP? Definitely worth a try!!! Good luck. :) Mental...hiccups....shall we say are so annoying, darn it!
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'll have to look in to that one as well!!! I just refilled my Effexor too. Ugh. At least it's only $4. I've been struggling with anxiety/depression/OCD for years. And I hate it! Especially when I have (I like how you said) mental hiccups!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'll have to look in to that one as well!!! I just refilled my Effexor too. Ugh. At least it's only $4. I've been struggling with anxiety/depression/OCD for years. And I hate it! Especially when I have (I like how you said) mental hiccups!

I'm currently fighting to find out formally if I truly bipolar, and I've run the gamut of diagnoses myself, so I promise, I get where you're coming from... If you need to vent more, I'm SOOO here. (hugs) Mental hiccups suck.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Same here actually. I told my PCP that I thought I was bipolar. He put in a referral to a psychiatrist just waiting for a phone call. But I would love to not have to take "man made" drugs if I can help it.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for an absolute nightmare of a time coming off of that Effexor if you don't want to take man made drugs any more. I think it's good to come off of it if you don't need it anymore or can go to something milder. I know several who have gone off it and they were horribly miserable for weeks until it finally let go of them. I think the drug company made it that way intentionally.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I haven't had time to read all the responses so if this has been said I'm sorry... I went threw something like this and it was because I had lost weight and my blood pressure Meds was dropping my bp to low is if u take Meds check ur bp. Feel better soon!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    The dizziness and shakiness could be from low sodium, have you tried drinking heavily salted broth or adding a lot of extra salt to you food?

That said, I take daily meds for my anxiety, but have read a lot that this WOE could actually help my anxiety, so I'm hoping that in the future I'll be able to get off of it completely, but for now, it's what I need to be a sane and functioning member of society.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Be prepared for an absolute nightmare of a time coming off of that Effexor if you don't want to take man made drugs any more. I think it's good to come off of it if you don't need it anymore or can go to something milder. I know several who have gone off it and they were horribly miserable for weeks until it finally let go of them. I think the drug company made it that way intentionally.

The last time I went off of it, I weaned myself from taking one every other day to three times a week and so on until I was off of it. I was off of it for a month and then I got pregnant and I had no anxiety while pregnant. Since I've been on it now for almost 5 years I think this time will be harder to wean myself. I was talking to my husband last night about taking those other natural supplements and he said are they FDA approved...and I said no...but I still want to try them!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    St. John's Wort is a very inexpensive remedy to try. I've never seen anyone mention side effects. At one time there was a study on WebMd that stated it was more effective that any single prescribed medication. I can only guess why it isn't mentioned now.

I have only mild depression but got results with 1.5 times the recommended dose. It does take a while to see results. YMMV.