Why won't it stop....

Options
2»

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    St John's wort can help but dosage control is unreliable n unregulated.

Hope you feel better soon. I found Mindfulness (our March challenge) as the best technique to use to identify n observe racing thoughts then let them go. Imagine: (like watching trains of thought come into your busy station and recognise that you do not have to get on board each train. That train can leave the station without you and you can chose one with a more fun destination). That visual helped me disconnect from repettitve anxiety creating background thoughts.

Aside from life stresses n unhealthy thought patterns other anxiety causes for me are a lack of exercise/ movement plus nutrient stress like inadequate sodium levels, too much caffiene, insufficient water and high histamine foods. Hope that helps.

• Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I really don't wanna be the odd one out, but I do wanna warn against mixing prescription meds with natural ones. If they have similar mechanisms of action, they can cause serotonin syndrome or other synergistic, undesired side effects.
    I side with the warning about natural drugs as well considering they are not regulated and can easily be unnatural or lack the ingredients they claim (they are trying to make $ just like big pharma).
    These are all your choices to make of course, but please include your PCP or psych in the discussion. They are there to work for you and often have an understanding of brain physiology that can aid you and a learned skepticism of scientific research that can act to filter the countless "studies" that lack significance/appropriate methods.
    I do hope you get the relief you desire. My father suffers with bipolar disorder and refuses to take medicine because of the side effects. It has taken him on a very mean and dark ride for the last 30+ years, but he is quite stubborn. I'm guessing in hindsight, the side effects would be a lot less undesirable than the jobs he's lost, the financial despair and the strain on all of his relationships. This is strictly speaking from my experience with my father though.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @Evelynandchris you're not the odd one out, I totally agree. Even basic OTC cold remedies and pain relievers can cause problems when you're taking prescriptions. It's so important to talk to your doc and pharmacist about herbal remedies and OTC drugs when you take prescriptions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. I would get the shakes, with increased adrenalin and dropping blood pressure, when my blood glucose was falling. Even if BG wasn't that low, the dropping seemed to cause it. I would be shaking by time my BG was in the 4s.

Could it be the BG drop that started it? Too much protein or carbs, or more than normal? As Michelle mentioned, low sodium would magnify it by causing BP to be more affected.

The funny thing is that if I am fasting, or deep in ketosis, my BG can go much lower than where it is when I go the shakes. There is no sudden drop of BG so low is fine.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    As someone who has bipolar disorder and struggled for over a decade prior to getting a proper diagnosis - very nearly dying from it - I will also say don't knock the drugs too much either! If your brain is missing chemicals... well I can only say for ME, the drug medications were a godsend and absolutely lightyears better than the herbal/supplemental stuff I desperately tried on my own for the years before I finally secured a diagnosis and proper medication.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I really don't wanna be the odd one out, but I do wanna warn against mixing prescription meds with natural ones. If they have similar mechanisms of action, they can cause serotonin syndrome or other synergistic, undesired side effects.
    I side with the warning about natural drugs as well considering they are not regulated and can easily be unnatural or lack the ingredients they claim (they are trying to make $ just like big pharma).
    These are all your choices to make of course, but please include your PCP or psych in the discussion. They are there to work for you and often have an understanding of brain physiology that can aid you and a learned skepticism of scientific research that can act to filter the countless "studies" that lack significance/appropriate methods.
    I do hope you get the relief you desire. My father suffers with bipolar disorder and refuses to take medicine because of the side effects. It has taken him on a very mean and dark ride for the last 30+ years, but he is quite stubborn. I'm guessing in hindsight, the side effects would be a lot less undesirable than the jobs he's lost, the financial despair and the strain on all of his relationships. This is strictly speaking from my experience with my father though.

@Evelynandchris your points are medically valid. I take or have taken a boat load of 'natural ones'. My wife is a pharmacist and I hold on OD degree and we know 'natural ones' can be helpful or deadly just like most any Rx of manufactured medicine.

It boggles my mind the way some people thinks "natural" means "medically safe". While I am Rx med free thanks to LCHF and some supplements there are real health issues that do not need to be managed with web based sources of 'medical advice' and Amazon secured 'natural' meds.

Wishing the best for your father.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You could look into some of the gut bacteria stuff. Adding fermented foods, kombucha and the like shouldn't be an issue for meds and many believe gut bacteria are the overlords of the body and wellness. I don't doubt they are probably right.
    Could be a worthwhile experiment.