All Animal April (Advanced Experimenters)

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to eat normal meat and get protein higher than fat. Even chicken, so long as you're eating it skin on, is more than 50% fat by weight.

Here's an example that someone posted of the foods they eat: http://www.borntoeatmeat.com/not-a-high-protein-diet.html

Roasted chicken hits 52% fat, and is one of the lowest around. Of course, there are meats that are lower than this (canned tuna, skinless chicken breast, and so on) but most meat comes fully packed with the right amount of fat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, when I roasted a chicken over the weekend I made sure to eat the congealed fat & gelatin from the leftovers. It was good!
    Did a beef roast in the crock pot alllll day too, and even though I only added some salt and 0 water, it cooked long enough that there was kind of a gravy fluid at the bottom --- super flavor dense!
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me at this point is not throwing things into my mouth without thinking. This morning I was packing my daughter's lunch and a blueberry rolled across the counter. I had it in my hand and almost shoved it in my mouth before I remembered to not eat it. I had two pieces off popcorn on Sunday because of the same mindlessness. I do it all day long. I never realized how bad this habit had become. I used to snack like this when I ate the carbs. I wasn't even aware I was still doing it to the extent I am. Back to focusing on my habits!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am just finding this waaaaaay too easy to do as far as being happy with my food and not missing anything. The only trouble is adjusting to the idea of paying for a plate of food at a restaurant but only eating the meat. Extra butter, of course!
    I'm planning to go to a steakhouse with my friend tonight. I'm going to ask if I can buy the cut I want a-la-carte with no salad and sides. We will see how this goes.
    The other adjustment has been really easy. I kept thinking I would need to eat more meat. A double or at least 1.5 times serving. But, I haven't had to do that at all. I just add butter or a cheesy cream and butter sauce. I'm completely satisfied with a small addition like that. And I should add, I still eat more lean meats than probably all of you, so I am really adding the fat to compensate.
    That's how I'm making it work since I am the primary cook in the house and I'm already making more traditional meals for hubs and son, Keto adjustments to those same meals for T1D daughter and accommodating my vegetarian daughter as well... So we eat a mix of different meats, most of which are lean, with fish and or shrimp making frequent appearances since the veg eats those. (I tried to coerce her to the dark side, but she won't budge!)
  • kirkor
    Options
    The only trouble is adjusting to the idea of paying for a plate of food at a restaurant but only eating the meat.
    Ya, that's the sucky thing about LCHF in general --- carbs are cheap!

I pay the same for my omelette as the person who also gets toast and hashbrowns and biscuits and pancakes ... :-/
    Not that I want that stuff, but it'd be nice if I could sub for a side of bacon without having to pay an extra 4.99 ...
    ... or adding a side of guacamole that amounts to like a half cup and they ding you 3.99 for it.

I do understand that part of the price for adding things isn't just the literal price of the item, but also the price of the kitchen staff's time and effort for handling a special order that messes up their speedy routine, but, man, it sucks a lot of the time.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The only trouble is adjusting to the idea of paying for a plate of food at a restaurant but only eating the meat.

I pay the same for my omelette as the person who also gets toast and hashbrowns and biscuits and pancakes ... :-/
    Not that I want that stuff, but it'd be nice if I could sub for a side of bacon without having to pay an extra 4.99 ...
    ... or adding a side of guacamole that amounts to like a half cup and they ding you 3.99 for it.

I do understand that part of the price for adding things isn't just the literal price of the item, but also the price of the kitchen staff's time and effort for handling a special order that messes up their speedy routine, but, man, it sucks a lot of the time.

Denny's let me dub bacon for toast and extra sausage for hashbrowns recently. I was shocked!

At least some of them allow a veg for the higher carb norm. I don't understand why they can't throw in a burger party for my salad, bread and potatoes tonight! Ha!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm finding I don't need to increase my portions of meat by much either. Although, I do miss veggies. I've always liked them, even as a small child lol, so it has been hard to not add a salad to my burger or some spinach or green beans to my dinner :(. The real "lesson" I am learning is to wait until I am actually hungry to eat. It is all to easy to grab plant foods, especially ones that don't require cooking, rather than eating animal products, all of which require firing up the oven/stove/grill. So instead of munching anytime I'm vaguely hungry, I find myself waiting until true hunger sets in. I hope to apply that lesson even after this challenge is over! I do miss my veggies though.

Did good today - pork burger for breakfast, some leftover meatloaf for lunch, a chunk of cheese for a snack, and chicken wings for supper. Did I mention I miss my veggies? Lol.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Yeah, portions don't increase as much as people expect. You're really not replacing that many calories with the meat and your body knows how much it needs.

Don't learn to eat your meat raw. :wink: Then you won't have to cook all the time and will go back to being able to eat just about whenever.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    :D
  • kirkor
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    It is all to easy to grab plant foods, especially ones that don't require cooking, rather than eating animal products, all of which require firing up the oven/stove/grill.

I reeallllyyy miss olives :-/

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Me too^^^. Olive, nuts, hot peppers. Other than that, all is well. Bacon for breakfast, burger with butter for lunch and leftover rib eye and chicken wings for supper. Life is good. The scale is actually down a smidge today, too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

This is why I love living in the midwest and having a Bob Evans. Subbing the bacon is like a $2 upcharge still, but you can build your own omelet and have nothing but cheese and meat in it. :) Everything's also cooked to order, so they're no stranger to customizations out the wazoo.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    End of week one update:

5'7" female
    SW: 149 lbs
    Waist (at narrowest point)- 27.5"
    Hips (at widest point)- 37"
    Thigh (at widest point)- 22.5"

GW: 140-145 lbs

End of week one: 146.4 lbs (-2.6 lbs)
    Won't bother rechecking measurements until challenge is over.

Pretty big loss for me this week (I've been averaging a half lb per week for the last ten weeks). I know it's mostly water, but it is nice to see new numbers on the scale. I don't really feel any different (no better, no worse).
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Today I am down to 155.4. So a loss of 1.4. Why did I not do measurements? Oh well! The week was fairly easy. The only real challenge for me was having dinner last night with some new friends where I "cheated" with about four bites of kale salad. I love that my cheat included kale and I kept thinking about the bacon burger I was going to eat when I got home.
  • kirkor
    Options
    What's the consensus on pork rinds? Do you think they'd be in the spirit of All Animal April?
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I would think they certainly qualify as an animal product. Just make sure the brand/variety you get doesn't have any non-animal products (besides salt).
  • kirkor
    Options
    Well, they are fried in vegetable oil, so there's that. Eh, maybe I'll just go to an international market and buy some "weird" parts of an animal I don't normally try :glasses:
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, they are fried in vegetable oil, so there's that. Eh, maybe I'll just go to an international market and buy some "weird" parts of an animal I don't normally try :glasses:

Which ones are you buying? All the pork rinds I have ever come across are fried in pig fat. I think they're fine. I don't eat them a whole lot, but they're a nice addition from time to time.

Edit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-paleo-pork-rinds-cottage-cheese-monk-fruit-sweetener-sago-elderberry-syrup/#axzz45FUhddtc
    If you’re worried about seed oils being used as the frying medium, just check the label. You want “pork skin” and “salt,” ideally. If oils were used, they’ll be listed in the ingredients. This is pretty rare, though, as frying a piece of fatty skin in exogenous fat, instead of using the fat inherent to the skin, only costs the producer more money. MSG is often added, too, so watch out for that if you’re sensitive and wish to avoid it.
  • kirkor
    Options
    Oh, huh, I just assumed! I'll have a look at the label next time ... don't have any specific "go to" brand, as I only get them occasionally.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    AAA is going well for me. I'm not having much difficulty. Just the dumb stuff I mentioned before. No biggie.

I'm a numbers person, even though the weight loss at this point is not as much of a stress for me. I like the detailed info of tracking everything like a total nut case.
    I'm mostly looking for the body fat to keep moving down and the muscle to at least stay the same as my goal.
    April 1
    Start scale weight: 134.4
    Start trend weight: 135.4
    Start trend BF% 33.9
    Start trend SM% 27.5
    April 8
    Current
    Scale: 133.4 -2.0
    Trend: 133.5 -1.9
    BF% 32.8 -1.1
    SM% 28.2 +0.7

I never did take measurements. :(

My night out to dinner went great too. They gave me the steak a-la-carte at Texas Roadhouse for $3 less than the dinner price. And when I was asking for butter (not margarine) he told me they brush margarine on the steaks when they're grilled and asked if didn't want that. Of course I didn't!