Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    If I have coffee with half and half or heavy cream during the period that I'm fasting count as not fasting?

I have seen sources that said what @Sabine_Stroehm mentioned and I've also seen it said that the casein in the cream triggers a digestive response that technically interferes with fasting.
    To me, that makes the most sense. Mostly because I know that many more people have problems with dairy than actually realize it and because even 1Tbs of cream or half n half has some carbs in addition to the casein and possible sensitivity... There's a lot of maybes in there.
    Have you tried butter? It's barely different in taste. Just looks different. Plus if the limit is 50 calories, that's not much cream.
    I am not aware of any discussion of a max calories when it comes to MCT, coconut oil or butter. Not that I'm saying there shouldn't be a limit or isn't one...
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @Deena_Bean I can confirm what sunny_bunny_ said about adding butter instead of cream and it having pretty much the same taste. I am not big on coffee to begin with. I dont know why. It use to be a must have in the mornings for me. Anyhow, once I started drinking coffee again I added the HWC because I could not imagine drinking it black. For the last 2 days I have drank it without the cream and with the butter instead. I know it sounds crazy but it really does taste the same.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Plus if the limit is 50 calories, that's not much cream.
    I am not aware of any discussion of a max calories when it comes to MCT, coconut oil or butter. Not that I'm saying there shouldn't be a limit or isn't one...

The 50 calorie limit and the Bulletproof coffee thing are from two different schools of thought re: fasting. The 50 cal school is from the "calories break the fast, because metabolically, there are processes that occur when you ingest food" ... the BPC thing says that consuming fat only and thereby having no spike in insulin preserves most of the benefit of the fast.

Neither one is "right" since we don't have enough long term human studies on the 2 ways.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I started 16:8 about 4 weeks (ish) ago. The first week was the most challenging for me, I only made it to 14:10 or 15:9 most days. (I refuse to go hungry, rule #1 for me!) By week two it got WAY easier, to the point I didn't have to even try or talk myself into waiting an hour to break my fast. Then last week we were traveling visiting relatives and it was impossible to do IF, and I was afraid I would have to start over. But once I got back and started to do 16:8 IF again, my body was ready for it and it's as if I never stopped. I really like eating this way A LOT, especially having two larger meals plus a coffee snack instead of three medium/smaller meals plus snacks. I don't cut calories though, but I never really counted them anyway.

As for having cream in the coffee, that is how I love my coffee but I do consider that breaking my fast. So it is black coffee and water until I am ready to enter my 8 hour period. I always break my fast around Noon with a coffee full of cream and dutch cacao with a bit of vanilla and Truvia. (I have been adding a scoop of collagen protein too lately, it's flavorless and seems to cut the appetite even longer) That coffee drink with get me by a few hours, then its lunch around 2 pm, dinner at 7:30 pm, and back into my fast by 8 pm.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

The 50 calorie limit and the Bulletproof coffee thing are from two different schools of thought re: fasting. The 50 cal school is from the "calories break the fast, because metabolically, there are processes that occur when you ingest food" ... the BPC thing says that consuming fat only and thereby having no spike in insulin preserves most of the benefit of the fast.

Neither one is "right" since we don't have enough long term human studies on the 2 ways.

Exactly. You said what I was trying to. Lol
    And there's the other way of thinking that would tell you to have nothing at all too.

I personally liked using butter instead of HWC. I noticed I could more easily wait til after picking my son up from school to eat that way and that time is more convenient for me too. So that seemed to happen more consistently for me with no cream.
    It's definitely something to experiment with.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @KarlynKeto your post is very encouraging. I am looking forward to getting to the way easier point! Nice that you could take some time off and not need to start all over again getting adapted.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If I have coffee with half and half or heavy cream during the period that I'm fasting count as not fasting?

I have seen sources that said what @Sabine_Stroehm mentioned and I've also seen it said that the casein in the cream triggers a digestive response that technically interferes with fasting.
    To me, that makes the most sense. Mostly because I know that many more people have problems with dairy than actually realize it and because even 1Tbs of cream or half n half has some carbs in addition to the casein and possible sensitivity... There's a lot of maybes in there.
    Have you tried butter? It's barely different in taste. Just looks different. Plus if the limit is 50 calories, that's not much cream.

I'm a noob with IF, and defer to those more knowledgable! Thanks for that info.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Any "negatives" on sipping broth or stock/bone broth during the later hours of a fast? As a beginner, it helps me pass the time as I adjust.
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    I never really got my head medically wrapped around IF until I watched Dr. Jason Fung's Therapeutic Fasting - Vail 2016 36:09 minute video last week. Currently I am working on watching his six part series on youtube that drills down deeper to the science behind weight loss and keeping it off by developing a body that has full health. I posted in the main discussion forum today about diabetes from WHO. france24.com/en/20160406-number-adults-with-diabetes-has-quadrupled-1980-who

Some in the medical world have been saying what Jason is now saying for 50 years and perhaps the world is finally going to start getting the message and within the next 50 years will implement the known science as to how to eat to prevent premature death.

IF is so simple yet so powerful. I am one who is eating 2500+ calories daily without gaining weight that supports the science that Jason teaches.

Here's the Vail video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk&list=PLrVWtWmYRR2BYjk-oQTlAtGCjnly3J7LB

Thank you for sharing :) Interesting stuff!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I'm really a noob too. I have read it both ways for sure. @kirkor expressed both sides more effectively than I did. :wink:
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just finished watching that video and was inspired to try it, however I take a LOT of medication right now and one is metformin. Not sure if one continues all medications when not taking in any calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm really a noob too. I have read it both ways for sure. @kirkor expressed both sides more effectively than I did. :wink:
    I read his too, and am trying to absorb it all!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Any "negatives" on sipping broth or stock/bone broth during the later hours of a fast? As a beginner, it helps me pass the time as I adjust.

Bone broth is definitely good stuff --- highly endorsed by Dr. Jason Fung.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Bone broth is definitely good stuff --- highly endorsed by Dr. Jason Fung.

I sure like Jason Fung.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I think I've watched all his videos and read tons on his website. Very, very helpful! His book arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'm looking forward to reading it today. And bone broth is great, esp during IF! I feel like I've finally been let in on a big weight-loss secret. :)
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I just finished watching that video and was inspired to try it, however I take a LOT of medication right now and one is metformin. Not sure if one continues all medications when not taking in any calories.

That's a good question. I can only speculate that the Metformin did not seem to have any negative effect on my BG when I took 2x500mg after my last meal before a 16 - 24-hour fast.

(I'd be loathe to take it on an empty stomach, though!)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I am a menopausal woman, with flailing hormones, so all bets are off when it comes to weight loss, and following the norm. That said, I've just completed 10 days of IF (and plan to continue). I've seen better losses with IF and lower than SAD carbs than even I expected.
    I had gained a bit of weight from menopause and a prescription and was a bit above the high zone of my 14 year maintenance weight. I must say, I'm thrilled, and as I say, I plan to keep doing it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I'll just add, whether not that it's helpful, that it doesn't have to be all or nothing right away. I've tried 16:8 multiple times cold-turkey, and I'm just a witch with a capital B doing that. You can ease yourself in. Move back your eating window by 30 min every few days. Or do like I am. I've been IFing for over 2 weeks easily using the "fat coffee" method. Except I'm doing CO plus under 50 cals of H&H. It helps compliance. Eventually I hope to nix the H&H and replace with butter. And after I have that locked in, I plan to try to move back my eating window. I don't think I'll ever do black coffee. I don't have it in me. :blush: All I have is about 8 big cans of cheap-@ss Folgers DH bought on sale. And I imagine better quality coffee would be helpful, but I have what I have and so it shall be used.

Anyway, I'll see about rounding up IF thread links sometime this week and put it in the Thread Library in da LP.
    We could always just summon @kirkor by turning on the Wolverine-head shaped IF-signal to shine in the sky when we need him, but I'm betting he does have things to accomplish now and then. :wink: