Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think eating at maintenance (currently about 2500 LCHF calories) and doing IF when a creep up occurs will work for me since I have maintained at 200 for a year now without tracking more than my awaking weight. I did a 6:18 last week just fine.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 18:6 most days during the last 3 weeks and did my first 24 hr fast this past weekend. It went very well; actually, surprisingly well. Black coffee and bone broth carried me through, and I wasn't ravenous at the end of 24 hrs. Will definitely start doing 24 hrs weekly. I was down 1 lb this morning, but only .4 of it was a new loss. I'm really pleased with how IF is helping me. I'm a notoriously slow loser; being old doesn't help--at all--but I feel much better and hopefully I'm beginning to burn all the decades of stored fat! Wouldn't that be a novelty!

@baconslave --great idea to put all the IF thread links in the Library! They've been so helpful to me, and I'm sure they'll get referred to even more in the future. Thanks!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I do this most days, ranging between 16-24 hours of fasting depending on the day and how hungry I am. I pretty much never eat after dinner and unless we go out, I'm eating no later than 6pm every day. I'm not hungry most mornings when I wake up so if I'm home I tend to just have a late breakfast, but during the work week I generally don't eat until what is traditionally lunch time. I changed my tracker to reflect meal #s instead of traditional meals like breakfast, lunch, and dinner because I don't necessarily eat typical meals at typical times.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I just finished watching that video and was inspired to try it, however I take a LOT of medication right now and one is metformin. Not sure if one continues all medications when not taking in any calories.

That's a good question. I can only speculate that the Metformin did not seem to have any negative effect on my BG when I took 2x500mg after my last meal before a 16 - 24-hour fast.

(I'd be loathe to take it on an empty stomach, though!)

Yes, i searched Dr. Fung's IDM website for that very question and most people still take theirs while fasting, just checking BG often. None said there were problems. :) It was on Fasting 12 page.

Oh yes, on another note, last night and today, I am attempting to concoct bone broth from 2 rotisserie chicken carcasses... smells heavenly, not sure if i did it right yet though. Do you test a small bit for "gel factor" before finishing and cooling the whole batch?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    If I have coffee with half and half or heavy cream during the period that I'm fasting count as not fasting?
    Most sources I've read have said that under 50 calories is still fasting. I've been playing around with it and sometimes have a cup of broth.

Good to know for if I do IF - I currently have 42 calories in my supplements in the morning and 46 in the evening.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll see about rounding up IF thread links sometime this week and put it in the Thread Library in da LP.
    We could always just summon @kirkor by turning on the Wolverine-head shaped IF-signal to shine in the sky when we need him, but I'm betting he does have things to accomplish now and then. :wink:

I have so much extra free time because with IF I don't have to prep/cook/eat/clean as much! ;)

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Last week I had to go off of IF due to traveling, but did well staying in keto. I didn't lose anything that week. (Calories and exercise were off too, so not surprised). This week I am back on 16:8 LCHF and wow dropped 3.5 pounds! I keep expecting my weight loss to taper off as I have already dropped close to 70 pounds, with about 30 pounds more to goal. I do think IF increases weight loss by half to a full pound per week for me, when compared to similar weeks doing LCHF with similar calories and exercise but no IF. I exercise fasted most mornings too. Wow, I do like this way of eating a lot. Mostly because it feels effortless now that my body appears used to it.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When i was reading about the benefits of fasting on Dr. Jason Fung's blog, posters talked about water only fasting for 5 days with 2 days of LCHF eating. The purpose, I believe, was to release/lose the visceral fat around internal organs. However, these posters talked as if it was a lifestyle... to only eat 2 days each week. Sounds so very extreme and not sure that's very sustainable.

I started last week with 16:8 and moving to a 24 hour fast. Trying to maintain LCHF with the meal for that day. Taking Saturday and Sunday off. Yesterday I ate over 4000 calories because I was very bad and it showed up with a .6lb weight gain. Aside from that, I've dropped a good 6 lbs in the past week. I know a chunk of it was additional water weight above and beyond what I lost with getting into ketosis.

I'm taking to it much easier than I thought I would. I'll have unsweetened tea, water and hot and sour soup if I need. If I feel like my BG is getting too low I'll sip at an Atkins protein shake.

Still new to this and I understand a 36 hour fast is even better, but being diabetic I'm still futzing with my Metformin dose so I can do the IF and my TRX exercising without it making my hypoglycemic.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep..it gets easier every time. I just finished a 68 hour water fast. Now I'll eat lunch and dinner today. 3 meals tomorrow. Then skip breakfast and lunch every other day for 10 days, until that weekend. Then I'll try a 4 day fast. I am working up to it. I lose a bit during the fast, then a few days after. Good luck people!
  • fatblatta
    Options
    I just finished watching that video and was inspired to try it, however I take a LOT of medication right now and one is metformin. Not sure if one continues all medications when not taking in any calories.

That's a good question. I can only speculate that the Metformin did not seem to have any negative effect on my BG when I took 2x500mg after my last meal before a 16 - 24-hour fast.

Yes, i searched Dr. Fung's IDM website for that very question and most people still take theirs while fasting, just checking BG often. None said there were problems. :) It was on Fasting 12 page.

Oh yes, on another note, last night and today, I am attempting to concoct bone broth from 2 rotisserie chicken carcasses... smells heavenly, not sure if i did it right yet though. Do you test a small bit for "gel factor" before finishing and cooling the whole batch?

You can taste it for sure.
  • fatblatta
    Options
    Also, people who take medicine, be careful. This is the one thing that can hurt you. When you are fasting, you might not need as much as you'd normally take.
  • kirkor
    Options
    Also for the newbies, keep a close eye on your weekly deficit!!!

You may already be experiencing appetite suppression due to LCHF --- IF can also have this affect. Make sure you don't "double down" and end up consuming far too few calories.

Yes, when fasting you are "eating" from your "on-board pantry", but stillll ..... most people who crash and burn from fasting end up doing too steep a deficit, whether intentional or not.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll see about rounding up IF thread links sometime this week and put it in the Thread Library in da LP.
    We could always just summon @kirkor by turning on the Wolverine-head shaped IF-signal to shine in the sky when we need him, but I'm betting he does have things to accomplish now and then. :wink:

I have so much extra free time because with IF I don't have to prep/cook/eat/clean as much! ;)

Ha, that right there is a great reason to try IF!! ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Also, people who take medicine, be careful. This is the one thing that can hurt you. When you are fasting, you might not need as much as you'd normally take.

That's a great point - one I wish I'd heard (or heeded) earlier.

Even Metformin (perhaps in combination with ACE inhibitor Lisinopril) pushed my BG down below 60, even though these particular meds are not supposed to have that effect on folks like me.

I reduced my Metformin from 2000mg to either 1000mg or 1500mg, depending on my BG readings, and that seems to have done the trick.
  • RalfLott
    Options

I need to correct this. It seems that Metformin actually did nudge my BG below 60 during some (but not all) recent fasts....
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Annnd this would be the main reason for me wanting to try IF - I am laaaaazzzzzyyyyy!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing IF + LCHF + exercising while fasting, don't neglect your electrolytes! I was bad this weekend and it took quite a toll on me. I became very dizzy and weak, a bit of heart palpitations. Classic signs of low salt. With IF I eat less cals and carbs, which also means I now eat less salts/need more salts. Should have been more on top of this. Plus I went for two long morning hikes this weekend while still fasting, great cardio and it gave my legs a seriously good workout. This too uses up a lot of salts, plus I may have also been a bit dehydrated.

To get enough electrolytes I have gelatin capsules that I fill with lo-salt which is sodium and potassium (1 cap equals about an 1/8th teaspoon) and I started take several every few hours plus drinking a lot of water. I also added about 10 more carb grams. By the end of the day I felt back to normal, but dang, I felt like I wasted a day.

I have no plans to change anything other then be on top of getting more sodium, especially days I plan to do a lot of exercising. Keep an eye on it! :wink:
  • kirkor
    Options
    Good advice also for summer approaching.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    For those of you doing IF + LCHF + exercising while fasting, don't neglect your electrolytes! I was bad this weekend..... ;)

To get enough electrolytes I have gelatin capsules that I fill with lo-salt which is sodium and potassium (1 cap equals about an 1/8th teaspoon) and I started take several every few hours plus drinking a lot of water.

Yes, that is timely advice.

FYI - If you tend to get enough sodium but not enough potassium, you can also try NoSalt, which is straight potassium..

(But watch the potassium if you have kidney issues!)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-guide/

This is the second article I read from this guy. I like the way he writes. The other one was explaining the "starvation mode" term.