So glad you're all here!

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
I have been considering going low-carb for a long time but honestly it scares the daylights out of me. I am such a high-carb eater by habit and it feels so daunting to do this. But I've just spent the last 30-45 minutes reading some info here and am learning a lot. I haven't jumped in the LC pool yet but have at least stuck my big toe in! Buying groceries tomorrow so I will make a decision by then...

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Cravings disappear quickly. The hardest part for me was ignoring the critic in my head who said "eat fat?? use cream and butter???? really??? shouldn't do that!"

I keep my carbs between 30 and 60 total. You will find what is comfortable.

Best wishes for success on your journey.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    Welcome!

Cravings disappear quickly. The hardest part for me was ignoring the critic in my head who said "eat fat?? use cream and butter???? really??? shouldn't do that!"

Thanks! I just found a recipe for eggplant pizza on a LC site, imported it to MFP, then found out it's over 800 calories per serving!!! Guess I'll just need to find some balance...
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    800 is a bit high but there is certainly a school of thought that when counting carbs, calories don't count. I watch carbs and keep calories within shouting distance of an appropriate amount. If i go over by 300 or so, I don't worry too much unless I do it regularly.

But, within reason, don't worry about calories when you first start. Just watch the carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You especially shouldn't worry about calorie counting in the beginning. You have enough to deal with already in just making the adjustment. My advice, give it at least a solid 2 weeks of not worrying about calories. Let the ketones kick in to help you with the cravings and get used to the changes a bit. Also, try your hardest to forego the low carb treats and desserts. They only hold you back as far as carb addiction and appetite control. And skip the Atkins products entirely. Just more processed junk food in disguise.
    Best of luck to you! You can do it!
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Welcome, bit cheeky of me to welcome you as I am only in the door before you. I did do a short spell before christmas but strayed, so like the lost lamb I am back. I like you was / am a total carb freak, I didn't gain weight because I ate sweets, or cake , buns or icecream. I ate breads, lots of them, pastas, and as I am Irish I have a thousand different ways of cooking a potatoe, all of them good. :lol:. I do admit to missing those things, but I am only a week really trying, and am sticking to my carb limit, at only a week, I am finding my tastebuds have changed, I can already notice that a, I am not always hungry, or feeling the desire to pick at food between meals, ( like I will have a quick sandwich and a mug of tea between meals, ) I am also able to sit and eat my meals without the huge desire to have carbs, I already realise that If I keep to this way of eating that soon my old habits will be replaced by my new ones and I should be well on my way to a better lifestyle.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    I was surprised to read here (in the Q&A section) that 100-150 carbs/day is considered low for some people. 150 is what MFP enters as my daily "goal" (aka limit). I am thinking I'd start out at 75 carbs/day to ease myself into this without some of the known side-effects of switching to a LCD.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    I think the toughest thing will be to not worry about calories at first. I've only been on MFP less than a month and have finally conditioned my mind to focus on CICO. To now switch gears will be...interesting...
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Ditto! Me too, I felt like I was doing something bad. but now I have fun with it trying out recipes. This is absolutely the most yummy way I have ever lost weight. I don't miss dry salads and bland cooked veggies at all
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    I think the toughest thing will be to not worry about calories at first. I've only been on MFP less than a month and have finally conditioned my mind to focus on CICO. To now switch gears will be...interesting...

Welcome!

I made a few mistakes, one of them was counting calories thus not focusing first on becoming fat adapted. On this side of the fence it all makes more sense, but you will get the swing of things quickly. But they are right to be telling you this.

Also get your electrolytes, I was miserable for several weeks because I didn't realize I needed them. See the post at the top of this group for pointers.

And always prepare some friendly foods and snack in advance, keep the fridge stocked, you will be glad when in a pinch.

• Wakey618
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Also get your electrolytes, I was miserable for several weeks because I didn't realize I needed them. See the post at the top of this group for pointers.

Thanks! I did read that info already because the title of that thread scared me. I already have problems with migraines, fatigue, and some other things they listed that I can't remember :p . Think I'll re-read it to make sure I know how to combat this and am prepared with the right ammunition.
  • Wakey618
    Options
    Ok, I have made the decision to do this. I've been sitting on the fence so long my bottom is getting sore :D . I realize there are those who believe in and don't believe in the "net carb" thing but I am going to use this approach. My daily goal will be to stay under 50 net carbs. I may lower it later but it seems reasonable given that I can subtract fiber & sugar from the total carbs.

Thoughts on if this is a reasonable goal? Does the amount of carbs one should have depend on their weight? I am about 155 lbs, but my sister is about 350 lbs & it doesn't seem like we would use the same guidelines.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Getting my macro correct I think was hardest part. Replacing the carbs with fats was harder than reverse roller skating for me.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    Ok, I have made the decision to do this. I've been sitting on the fence so long my bottom is getting sore :D . I realize there are those who believe in and don't believe in the "net carb" thing but I am going to use this approach. My daily goal will be to stay under 50 net carbs. I may lower it later but it seems reasonable given that I can subtract fiber & sugar from the total carbs.

Thoughts on if this is a reasonable goal? Does the amount of carbs one should have depend on their weight? I am about 155 lbs, but my sister is about 350 lbs & it doesn't seem like we would use the same guidelines.

I do net carbs, I think it encourages one to eat more fiber rich foods. I know it does for me.

50 net may be high in the begging week, maybe two, as you adjust. There are two phases here: going into Keto, staying in Keto. Once in Keto lock and barrel, you can test carb limit but be prepared to go out of Keto. Fortunately going back into Keto is easier as the body has adjusted. For the appetite control many need to go lower then 50 net carbs. I consider myself lucky as I can stay well into Keto on upper limits, but others cannot. I try to keep my net carbs under 40, with 30-40 my target range. If you exercise a lot it may work better. I walk 3-5 miles a day, plus cardio a few days a week, and I believe that helps me stay in the upper limits.

• Wakey618
    Options

There are two phases here: going into Keto, staying in Keto. Once in Keto lock and barrel, you can test carb limit but be prepared to go out of Keto. Fortunately going back into Keto is easier as the body has adjusted. For the appetite control many need to go lower then 50 net carbs. I consider myself lucky as I can stay well into Keto on upper limits, but others cannot. I try to keep my net carbs under 40, with 30-40 my target range. If you exercise a lot it may work better. I walk 3-5 miles a day, plus cardio a few days a week, and I believe that helps me stay in the upper limits.

How do I know when I've "gone into Keto"?
  • jaketwin123
    jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    welcome,ive been doing this nearly 7 weeks,first two were the hardest and really was trial and error but read a huge amount and the sites are fantastic for information

after 2 weeks i trimmed my carbs to < 20 and use net and as somebody said u up the fibre,some people get constipated i never have and my calories are about 1300 a day and do not find them hard to stick to,and i was very heavy carb and loads of sugar

my cravings have subsided and been in ketosis for four weeks,though did have a huge craving and was hellish but i got over it,i still have crisps,sweets etc in the house as i dont think my kids should miss out and deal with it ok,i eat cleaner and better than i ever have

do it one day at a time and come on here for support

good luck
  • SueMizzou2
    SueMizzou2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cannot lose weight when I eat carbs regardless of how low the calorie count is. When i do pay attention to the carb count the weight slides right off. The big problem is how much I love carbohydrates. Bread, pizza, rice and cookies are my downfall so I just don't eat them. It isn't easy but definitely worth it.

I've been doing this on and off since last August. Mostly I stay with it and I've lost 20 lbs so far. I know that it isn't the optimal way to approach this but being human I am fallible. Give yourself a break. Know that you will make mistakes. It isn't the end of the world if you screw up. Get back on the wagon and move forward.

I also watch calories and portion size mainly because I've lost sight of what a portion should look like. Do what works for you. You will succeed on this woe.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

You can't subtract sugar. Did you mean sugar alcohols? If so, I still don't recommend subtracting them. They do usually have an insulin response. And it's really best to keep sweet foods to the bare minimum anyway. Which technically is zero, but try your hardest to break the sweet addiction during the transition. It'll be a huge help for you.

There are two phases here: going into Keto, staying in Keto. Once in Keto lock and barrel, you can test carb limit but be prepared to go out of Keto. Fortunately going back into Keto is easier as the body has adjusted. For the appetite control many need to go lower then 50 net carbs. I consider myself lucky as I can stay well into Keto on upper limits, but others cannot. I try to keep my net carbs under 40, with 30-40 my target range. If you exercise a lot it may work better. I walk 3-5 miles a day, plus cardio a few days a week, and I believe that helps me stay in the upper limits.

How do I know when I've "gone into Keto"?

Typically, you'll know for sure when you get an energy increase. It tends to feel like you're wide awake, mentally sharp and just feel overall good and ready to go about whatever you've got going that day.
    At 50g, especially net carbs, you'll be teetering in and out of ketosis all day long. This can honestly be a tough place to be. Especially when you're new. You'll find that you will adapt more quickly and efficiently if you can stay in Keto more regularly.
    My honest opinion is to choose to either go lower and ensure more full time ketosis or to go higher and stay out of ketosis all together. Teetering on the brink can be tough.
    I know it sounds crazy, and I know you're worried about wanting those foods that will be off limits. But, trying to fit certain ones in, in small amounts, is just a mental hurdle that can hold you back long term. If you could draw enough will power to pull through one week of strict 20g net carbs, with the absolute bare minimum artificial sweetener use and skip the low carb treats and desserts, you can break the "addiction" that causes you to fear giving up those foods. Then you will not need so much will power anymore. It becomes easier to resist the off limit foods.
    If you're set on 50g net, you should be able to achieve more full time ketosis by including daily exercise of high enough intensify to burn through the glucose. But, starting new exercise while also starting Keto is even more challenging.

No one here will judge you no matter what limit you choose or for counting net or total. Lots of people start out one way and end up another... Adjusting and tailoring to your needs and lifestyle is just part of the process. But you want to make the adjustments up or down or whatever based on listening to your body. Not from sugar addiction calling to you from the dark side. :wink:
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of low carb! You have come to the right place for help, advice, guidance...all in a kind, respectful manner. I began with my carbs higher, like 100g, and reduced them every couple of weeks until I got down 20g. My sweet spot seems to be 50ish. At that level, my cravings have been almost nil, or at the very worst, easy to please. (half a piece of 85% chocolate vs my bff bag-o-M&Ms). My weight loss isn't as impressive as some, but it's mine.

Other folks here are much more knowledgeable about the way of eating, while I'm still learning. What I can share is (1) What works for one may or may not work for another. And that's okay. (2) Measure success in ways other than the scale. It will mess with your head until you accept that it is but one tool in your belt. (3) You will make a choice or ten that will result in negative consequences. Forgive yourself. Acknowledge; accept; adjust; advance. (4) Persevere. Sally forth. Muster through. Stay the course. It won't always be easy; however, it will be worth it. (5) Enjoy! I used to love to eat (sweets, breads, and all the foods those make up) Now I enjoy the food I eat...it's flavor, texture, aroma...and find myself so much more satisfied.

You are in for a delightful ride of self-discovery!
  • Wakey618
    Options
    You can't subtract sugar. Did you mean sugar alcohols? If so, I still don't recommend subtracting them. They do usually have an insulin response. And it's really best to keep sweet foods to the bare minimum anyway. Which technically is zero, but try your hardest to break the sweet addiction during the transition. It'll be a huge help for you.
    Yes, I meant sugar alcohols but since I never see those listed on labels, I thought it was the same as sugar. I thought that must be too good to be true! I just went grocery shopping and calculated my net carbs subtracting the sugar. Oh, well - I'll adjust!

Typically, you'll know for sure when you get an energy increase. It tends to feel like you're wide awake, mentally sharp and just feel overall good and ready to go about whatever you've got going that day.
    At 50g, especially net carbs, you'll be teetering in and out of ketosis all day long. This can honestly be a tough place to be. Especially when you're new. You'll find that you will adapt more quickly and efficiently if you can stay in Keto more regularly.
    My honest opinion is to choose to either go lower and ensure more full time ketosis or to go higher and stay out of ketosis all together. Teetering on the brink can be tough.
    Thanks for that info!
  • Wakey618
    Options
    cairnsmom wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of low carb! You have come to the right place for help, advice, guidance...all in a kind, respectful manner. I began with my carbs higher, like 100g, and reduced them every couple of weeks until I got down 20g. My sweet spot seems to be 50ish. At that level, my cravings have been almost nil, or at the very worst, easy to please. (half a piece of 85% chocolate vs my bff bag-o-M&Ms). My weight loss isn't as impressive as some, but it's mine.

Other folks here are much more knowledgeable about the way of eating, while I'm still learning. What I can share is (1) What works for one may or may not work for another. And that's okay. (2) Measure success in ways other than the scale. It will mess with your head until you accept that it is but one tool in your belt. (3) You will make a choice or ten that will result in negative consequences. Forgive yourself. Acknowledge; accept; adjust; advance. (4) Persevere. Sally forth. Muster through. Stay the course. It won't always be easy; however, it will be worth it. (5) Enjoy! I used to love to eat (sweets, breads, and all the foods those make up) Now I enjoy the food I eat...it's flavor, texture, aroma...and find myself so much more satisfied.

You are in for a delightful ride of self-discovery!

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! I already love this site and this group, as I've learned so much already and everyone seems very nice. I'm glad I am here :-)