Moderate Low-Carb Support

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @baconslave yes exactly. I was trying to keep higher earlier this year, 80-100 and I found it more difficult than being really low. I also ended up being in ketosis at that level with exercise as well. Quinoa is pretty good, especially if you cook it right. I think I might make my sourdough starter again tonight to make some sourdough quinoa bread. That has some carbs but doesn't affect my tummy or the scale. It's a complete protein and has tons of nutrients.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My carb sources are basically eggs, dairy, veggies, berries, and NUTS. Especially nuts.

Really the only difference between 100g and sub-50g is that you don't freak out about "hidden" carbs in sauces, onions, peppers, and bits of fruit in your meal.

I don't do fake breads or fake tortillas simply because I think it would trigger cravings for the real thing.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
    I'm "lowER carb"
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Really the only difference between 100g and sub-50g is that you don't freak out about "hidden" carbs in sauces, onions, peppers, and bits of fruit in your meal

I don't do fake breads or fake tortillas simply because I think it would trigger cravings for the real thing.

^^^this!! I try not to do the sugar free candies either for the same reason.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    My carb sources are basically eggs, dairy, veggies, berries, and NUTS. Especially nuts.

Really the only difference between 100g and sub-50g is that you don't freak out about "hidden" carbs in sauces, onions, peppers, and bits of fruit in your meal.

Generally I agree. The particular ones I use don't spur cravings for me. And I need the carbs, otherwise I wouldn't use them at all. I'm very not attached to them. So when I figure out things more I'll probably drop them. I've yet to make a fake bread or tortilla I like. They're all either eggy or just blurg. I've given up on it. And I don't miss bread so I'm not bothered.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi. I'm low carb as well. I was KETO at the beginning of the year but I truly missed broccoli and spinach and pretty much just all veggies as well. I average between 40-60 actual carbs and 30-40 net carbs now depending if I have chia seeds/flax seed that day (that ups the actual and lowers the net). I have about a whole bag of broccoli (300 grams for dinner) and 200grams of spinach for my lunch salad and breakfast is usually super low carb (eggs/turkey sausage). However, I am completely content with still not eating sweet potatoes or rice or bread or even low carb bread/tortillas. Just haven't felt a need. I still don't eat fruit on a regular basis either but if I do want a sweet treat I do HWC with raspberries or blackberries since those are the lowest carb fruit I believe.
    Good Luck!

Are you not keto in those macros? Your current range is very much like the macros I have daily, and I stay well into keto. And I have plenty of green veggies too. But everyone is different. I wouldn't give up veggies either, so if it meant them or keto the veggies win. :wink:
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tried keto to help my diabetes,,,,,I got to the point I would look at my dinner etc and get naseous , started lower carb this week. Just a few more things added like 1/2 an apple, more variety of veggies. Never thought I would get sick of eating cream, butter, bacon lol
    A carrot right now is much more appealing.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, does anyone on a more moderate plan do less carbs in the morning/during the day, with more carbs at night? That seems like it would work well for me. I wouldn't want any sleepy side effects in the AM/at lunch, but I could do with a carb-coma induced earlier bedtime. LOL

I do. Lately, I've been getting <20g between breakfast and lunch, and it works great.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm trying desperately to UP my carbs, purely to get rid of the keto breath that has hounded me from day one :sad: I've changed my macros to % 30/35/35 C/P/F
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I am here to because of skin issues. I am trying to find the 'middle road' but it is like starting over again. Keto seems easy by comparison.

I try to eat my carbs in my evening meal. But I am still experimenting and researching.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    @baconslave I have been off and on experiencing dry eyes. I don't know why but it has me a bit worried. Doesn't sound anywhere near your issue but it is annoying. I will be checking back on this thread. I don't want mess with my vision but also need to be careful I don't sabotage my weight loss. I have been experimenting with a few extra carbs. I occasionally have half an apple with breakfast.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @anglyn1 , thanks for that info. Yikes!

@baconslave, lol, looks like I've been doing carbs in reverse order. Typical. Thanks for the podcast rec.... always looking for something to listen to when I'm working around the house.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I have gestational diabetes, I am finding keto hard (impossible really) during pregnancy and don't want to do it any more anyway. I still need to watch my carbs though obviously.

The balance is so hard :-(
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, does anyone on a more moderate plan do less carbs in the morning/during the day, with more carbs at night? That seems like it would work well for me. I wouldn't want any sleepy side effects in the AM/at lunch, but I could do with a carb-coma induced earlier bedtime. LOL

That would be me! Through the week, I try to do as low carb as I can for breakfast and lunch, because I know that dinner, which is cooked by my husband and waiting when I get home at 9pm, will be mostly stir fried veggies, with some protein on top. Take a look at my diary if you want. He starts with a standard recipe of chopped onions, garlic and ginger root. Adds the pork or chicken. Then he adds whatever greens -- cabbage or spinach or similar veg. Then tosses in a few others in season, whatever is cheapest. A tbsp of shio koji (salty and fermented goop) and other seasonings. He cooks usually with a stove-top pressure cooker but a frying pan would work fine. Other nights the veggies are topped with a grilled piece of fish. The additional carbs come from the red wine I seem to want as a reward for surviving the day. And there is usually a side serving of raw turnip or daikon that is fermented in nuka overnight. It is a flexible way to get in a lot of veg in one meal.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you as well! You know I've experimented a lot, feel free to peep at my diary for fall 2014, winter 2015.

I agree with most of the carbs from vegs. I think the best level for me was somewhere around 70g net. YMMV.

The slow carb protocol could fit your current experiment. https://www.reddit.com/r/4hourbodyslowcarb/

Just curious, what about keto is the correlation to Sjogren's syndrome? Could it be some nutrients you lack while on keto?

Re Resistant Starch. From reading about it, it seems there's a lot of variation about effects between individuals AND type/volume. Some respond to potato starch, others respond to green banana. It also takes a bit of time to repopulate with the good bacteria, I believe.

With your active lifestyle and big family to take care of, I'd guess you're still in NK enough to keep Keto Adaptation at 80g. If it's important for you to NOT be making ketones, are you using blood meter? Because as you said, most of us make ketones during late stages of sleep, no matter the diet. I could be wrong, but my guess is that there's a biproduct of keto lifestyle that worsens your condition, not ketones themselves.

Look into "protein misfolding". My understanding is that is the underlying cause for most of what's wrong with our bodies.

I will encourage you to keep experimenting with different types of vegs. Tweak and tinker and monitor your symptoms and food diary closely to see if any patterns. Good luck, hun!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @daylitemag I've also been experiencing eye and ear discomfort due to the significantly reduced mucus production that seems to come along with this woe, at least for some of us. Albeit my problems are also nothing compared to @baconslave (hope you get some improvements soon!)

I've been increasing my carbs with more veg in hopes of improvement, but have been doing it pretty slowly as I'm a diabetic and don't want to get to the point where I have to inject more insulin. I'm happy to say that the 57 lbs I've lost over the last four months have clearly resulted in some glucose processing improvements as after some of my carbier days, my fasting blood glucose has remained at the same low levels it was on days under 10 g carbs.

I still have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm still very much at keto level carbs to keep the insulin down, but for me, from a blood glucose and insulin use standpoint, I'm finding little difference between 10 g carbs and 40 g carbs, whereas a couple months ago, there was definitely a difference. But my additional carbs are fruit and veg with lots of fiber. But 40 definitely seems to be my upper limit unless I want to increase my insulin.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I'm here for you as well! You know I've experimented a lot, feel free to peep at my diary for fall 2014, winter 2015.

I agree with most of the carbs from vegs. I think the best level for me was somewhere around 70g net. YMMV.

The slow carb protocol could fit your current experiment. https://www.reddit.com/r/4hourbodyslowcarb/

Just curious, what about keto is the correlation to Sjogren's syndrome? Could it be some nutrients you lack while on keto?

Re Resistant Starch. From reading about it, it seems there's a lot of variation about effects between individuals AND type/volume. Some respond to potato starch, others respond to green banana. It also takes a bit of time to repopulate with the good bacteria, I believe.

With your active lifestyle and big family to take care of, I'd guess you're still in NK enough to keep Keto Adaptation at 80g. If it's important for you to NOT be making ketones, are you using blood meter? Because as you said, most of us make ketones during late stages of sleep, no matter the diet. I could be wrong, but my guess is that there's a biproduct of keto lifestyle that worsens your condition, not ketones themselves.

Look into "protein misfolding". My understanding is that is the underlying cause for most of what's wrong with our bodies.

I will encourage you to keep experimenting with different types of vegs. Tweak and tinker and monitor your symptoms and food diary closely to see if any patterns. Good luck, hun!

I personally found Tim Ferris' stuff awful, but to each their own. I read 4-hour body, and listened to some blogs. I found the South Beach Principles more tweak able, and less wooey. But that may be because I'd already been slow carb for 10 years when I read it.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I do moderate carbs all wrong... But still try to stay around 100g.

I should sub bread for veggies but I'm happy where I'm at for now.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Hi. I'm low carb as well. I was KETO at the beginning of the year but I truly missed broccoli and spinach and pretty much just all veggies as well. I average between 40-60 actual carbs and 30-40 net carbs now depending if I have chia seeds/flax seed that day (that ups the actual and lowers the net). I have about a whole bag of broccoli (300 grams for dinner) and 200grams of spinach for my lunch salad and breakfast is usually super low carb (eggs/turkey sausage). However, I am completely content with still not eating sweet potatoes or rice or bread or even low carb bread/tortillas. Just haven't felt a need. I still don't eat fruit on a regular basis either but if I do want a sweet treat I do HWC with raspberries or blackberries since those are the lowest carb fruit I believe.
    Good Luck!

Are you not keto in those macros? Your current range is very much like the macros I have daily, and I stay well into keto. And I have plenty of green veggies too. But everyone is different. I wouldn't give up veggies either, so if it meant them or keto the veggies win. :wink:

Honestly, I'm not really sure if I'm in it or not. I'm not going to spend the money on a glucose meter and the keto sticks aren't showing that I'm in it either. BUT, I do feel fantastic with how I'm eating and the biggest thing is that it is sustainable and something I can do forever. Since I do lift though, I eat 1gram of protein per lean body mass and sometimes more if I'm weight lifting a lot that day. Since KETO is more about how many carbs you're eating and not about the amount of protein or fat you eat, I've lowered my fat just a tad which allows for a little more protein in my calorie allowance.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Many good questions. It would be very difficult to tease out the exact cause. I have a low-level of mucus/moisture production throughout the day now, but have waves of fatigue and extra drying periodically. One of those hits in the middle of the night.
    But yes, it's probably NOT the ketones themselves. I think I have Sjogren's genes anyway (my father has this too I found out. He just hid it well, and they didn't know what to call it back then when he started having symptoms. Quite rare for a male, but it does happen), I just reached the point in my life where they've been encoded to activate, and in conjunction with the decrease in mucus production ketosis can cause in some people, and I'm one of those, it's just too much for me to tolerate. It's not the keto, really. It's ME and my genes on keto.

All I know for sure is that it gets better (not cured but manageable) when I'm definitely OUT. And when I go back in and stay all my symptoms go nuclear. There's a marked increase in symptoms and an increase in frequency and severity of Mummy-episodes.

I will check into "protein misfolding." It sounds fascinating. And I've been exposed to Ferris a little. I'll check it out and take from it what is good and leave the rest, just like I do with everything else. :lol:

I personally found Tim Ferris' stuff awful, but to each their own. I read 4-hour body, and listened to some blogs. I found the South Beach Principles more tweak able, and less wooey. But that may be because I'd already been slow carb for 10 years when I read it.

I'll skip over the woo. He does occasionally have a good idea or 2. I think I have a copy of South Beach in the basement that my mom dumped on me when she moved to SC and in with Grams. Places to look and ideas to glean, which is good.