Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bupropion withdrawals

Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
Any of you took Buoropion and stopped ? How did you feel? I started Buoropion XL 1 time a day in April 2014. A year later I noticed my hair was very dry and no shampoo an hair treatment in the world helped me fix it so...naturally, I thought it was because of my prescription. The doc gave me bupropion SR, once a day for 2 weeks. Well last week I finally stopped taking it and now I can't stay awake!!! I also feel all the feels so I'm thinking that stopping it wasn't a good idea.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    That is the generic name for Wellbutrin, right? If so, yes, I took it, but I had it paired with Prozac, which was heck on wheels. I also later did Effexor. Both Prozacc and Effexor had major withdrawals for me, but I don't remember anything with Wellbutrin, but I wasn't on a high dose, I wasn't on it for overly long, and I was on it for very little time as a stand alone medication, as it did not do much for me. So maybe because it didn't work well with my biology, I didn't have the withdrawals?

But overall, my understanding is that any and all medications of this type should be closely monitored while tapering down dosage levels or in stopping medications... I would check in with your doctor and see how related the old and the new side effects may be!

Wishing you progress and ease.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2016
    @KnitOrMiss My old doc initially wanted me on Paxil but I refused and I suggested Wellbutrin because it read about it and it's was the only one with very little chance of weight gain. It work perfect for me. I just started to noticed my hair getting very dry a year ago so I cut it off thinking maybe it was the hair dye. But sure enough it grew back and still brittle and dry. My hair was never like that. So I started thinking it might be it medication. I talked to my new doc about it and she switched me from XL to SR, a milder formula, and told me to just take it for 2 weeks and stop. So that's what I did and now Im just walking around sleeping.
    THe funny thing is, after I got the thyroid nodules news yesterday, I feel like that was the reason of dry hair...and I shouldn't be off my Wellbutrin.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Astharteea wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss My old doc initially wanted me on Paxil but I refused and I suggested Wellbutrin because it read about it and it's was the only one with very little chance of weight gain. It work perfect for me. I just started to noticed my hair getting very dry a year ago so I cut it off thinking maybe it was the hair dye. But sure enough it grew back and still brittle and dry. My hair was never like that. So I started thinking it might be it medication. I talked to my new doc about it and she switched me from XL to SR, a milder formula, and told me to just take it for 2 weeks and stop. So that's what I did and now Im just walking around sleeping.
    THe funny thing is, after I got the thyroid nodules news yesterday, I feel like that was the reason of dry hair...and I shouldn't be off my Wellbutrin.

@Astharteea - I would definitely revisit the Wellbutrin, but it can take 4-12 weeks or longer, depending on how long you were taking a medication, to get it fully out of your system, and new hair growth/repair takes a long time, too. So it might be a while before seeing hair improvements. Getting gelatin, collagen, biotin, and such can help improve hair quality. I hadn't really thought about it, but with having to up my thyroid medication 6 months ago, my hair has been crazy brittle/breaking/splitting, too. I thought it could be just age and hadn't really addressed it with any of my medical team yet...