Bupropion withdrawals

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
Any of you took Buoropion and stopped ? How did you feel? I started Buoropion XL 1 time a day in April 2014. A year later I noticed my hair was very dry and no shampoo an hair treatment in the world helped me fix it so...naturally, I thought it was because of my prescription. The doc gave me bupropion SR, once a day for 2 weeks. Well last week I finally stopped taking it and now I can't stay awake!!! I also feel all the feels so I'm thinking that stopping it wasn't a good idea.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That is the generic name for Wellbutrin, right? If so, yes, I took it, but I had it paired with Prozac, which was heck on wheels. I also later did Effexor. Both Prozacc and Effexor had major withdrawals for me, but I don't remember anything with Wellbutrin, but I wasn't on a high dose, I wasn't on it for overly long, and I was on it for very little time as a stand alone medication, as it did not do much for me. So maybe because it didn't work well with my biology, I didn't have the withdrawals?

But overall, my understanding is that any and all medications of this type should be closely monitored while tapering down dosage levels or in stopping medications... I would check in with your doctor and see how related the old and the new side effects may be!

Wishing you progress and ease.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss My old doc initially wanted me on Paxil but I refused and I suggested Wellbutrin because it read about it and it's was the only one with very little chance of weight gain. It work perfect for me. I just started to noticed my hair getting very dry a year ago so I cut it off thinking maybe it was the hair dye. But sure enough it grew back and still brittle and dry. My hair was never like that. So I started thinking it might be it medication. I talked to my new doc about it and she switched me from XL to SR, a milder formula, and told me to just take it for 2 weeks and stop. So that's what I did and now Im just walking around sleeping.
    THe funny thing is, after I got the thyroid nodules news yesterday, I feel like that was the reason of dry hair...and I shouldn't be off my Wellbutrin.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss My old doc initially wanted me on Paxil but I refused and I suggested Wellbutrin because it read about it and it's was the only one with very little chance of weight gain. It work perfect for me. I just started to noticed my hair getting very dry a year ago so I cut it off thinking maybe it was the hair dye. But sure enough it grew back and still brittle and dry. My hair was never like that. So I started thinking it might be it medication. I talked to my new doc about it and she switched me from XL to SR, a milder formula, and told me to just take it for 2 weeks and stop. So that's what I did and now Im just walking around sleeping.
    THe funny thing is, after I got the thyroid nodules news yesterday, I feel like that was the reason of dry hair...and I shouldn't be off my Wellbutrin.

@Astharteea - I would definitely revisit the Wellbutrin, but it can take 4-12 weeks or longer, depending on how long you were taking a medication, to get it fully out of your system, and new hair growth/repair takes a long time, too. So it might be a while before seeing hair improvements. Getting gelatin, collagen, biotin, and such can help improve hair quality. I hadn't really thought about it, but with having to up my thyroid medication 6 months ago, my hair has been crazy brittle/breaking/splitting, too. I thought it could be just age and hadn't really addressed it with any of my medical team yet...