Replies

• asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    So... Back to the original question.

What is better?

Popcorn carbs
    Protein shake carbs
    Quest bar

Popcorn has nothing but the carb, plus I guess fat if you use butter. Protein shake has carbs, but it also has protein (duh) which if above a certain threshold (varies depending on if you workout, etc.) will kick you out of ketosis. Assuming that isn't the case though I don't particularly see a huge difference in the sources. I'd be worried about the sugar in the Quest bar more than anything else.

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited April 2016
    Are we talking 6 net in the above or total?

If Net, I would agree that in healthy people, it doesn't matter. If total I would say it does matter if some of those items have more or less fiber or indigestible carbs.

But for diabetics, folks with insulin resistance, etc, it would probably matter quite a deal.

I really enjoyed the article @suesuarez linked as well.

Oh, and I agree with @BalmyD that portion control might cause issues. I also find carbs beget carbs and I crave more the more I have. Even if I stay within my limit, it makes the whole situation less pleasant to experience those cravings.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    One of the important things to take in mind if you have associated health problems (abnormal blood sugar, diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc), is the glycemic index of the food. Perhaps they both have the same number of total carbs, but those carbs may affect your insulin response very differently.

For me, I eat the occasional serving of popcorn, dredged in butter. I don't like the store bought type because it often contains vegetable oils, which are inflammatory for me and can cause increases in eczema and digestive issues. I prefer to air pop and dump a liberal amount of butter on my popcorn. That being said, if I were to eat my carb allowance in popcorn, rather than healthier choices like green leafy vegetables, I would not feel so healthy (I know - Ive tried this quite a few times in the past!).

For me, my carb sources matter. That's why I am eating zero grains, despite the fact that they can, in small portions, fit into my macros. What is important to you, and what affects you physiologically, may not be the same as me or someone else. Find what works for your body, and then let us know if the protein shake vs. the popcorn carbs matters for YOU! :mrgreen:
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yes the source matters. And the person eating it matters.

Glycemic response varies. Insulin response varies. Physiology doesn't read package labels.

This was my thought. When it comes to food and nutrition and keto...etc. there is no 'one size fits all' kind of answer. Just a big "Well, it depends...."

I can stay well into ketosis on a higher number of carbs then others, no idea why. Genetics? Exercise? Food selection? Who knows. It just is.

If I was to guess about a distinction of the food selection, I would chose the carbs with the most fiber it hopes to to slow the absorption, resulting in less insulin.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2016
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Here's a conundrum for you. I've been a bit...lax on my low carbing lately (ok, TOTALLY not doing it).

After I ate rice & chili, for a total of about 65g carbs, my blood sugar was 124 and 137 an hour later. After eating spaghetti & pao, for a total of about 149g carbs, my blood sugar was 90 and 115. No exercise involved either time. Even if my portions/carb numbers were off by half, it's still a HUGE difference. I verified the 90 on another meter (it said 84!) because my brain immediately said that the number had to be wrong. I'm pretty certain that the source of the carbs matters, but different people may react differently.

And yes, I'm saying to heck with tracking junk meals and going back to low carb.

I think my brain just exploded! lol
    I will hypothesize that I am "allergic" to white carbs based on my experience that if I eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, I bloat up and feel tired and crave, crave, crave them to the exclusion of all other foods.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    It simply varies from person to person so much. It has to be up to each of to determine our best way. There used to be a guy here that would eat a snickers bar and then go on a very long, intense bike ride. He said he always stayed in ketosis afterward. He was able to use all that energy and burn off the carbs pretty much immediately. He lost a bunch of weight and If I remember correctly, he reversed some health issues as well. I think he may have been pre-diabetic or diabetic at one point...??? Anybody else thats been around a while recall if I'm right about that? Im talking about Kittens...

Anyway, there's just no way to answer the original question. Except on an individual basis.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    I may be wrong, but doesn't what you eat with the carbs affect how they affect the body. For instance, eating carbs with fat or with higher fibre moderates the insulin response, or so I thought. But their effect on ketosis is a different matter.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I may be wrong, but doesn't what you eat with the carbs affect how they affect the body. For instance, eating carbs with fat or with higher fibre moderates the insulin response, or so I thought. But their effect on ketosis is a different matter.

Right. You're not eating a series of macronutrients on a label. You're eating a specific meal. That meal has to be torn down into those macros. Different meals take different times to digest, and the macros get released at different loads.

Also, the concept of "macros" is a bit oversimplified. There are multiple kinds of carbs, amino acids, and fats. They all affect us differently.

And, yes, all of these factors impact ketosis in different ways.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    It simply varies from person to person so much. It has to be up to each of to determine our best way. There used to be a guy here that would eat a snickers bar and then go on a very long, intense bike ride. He said he always stayed in ketosis afterward. He was able to use all that energy and burn off the carbs pretty much immediately. He lost a bunch of weight and If I remember correctly, he reversed some health issues as well. I think he may have been pre-diabetic or diabetic at one point...??? Anybody else thats been around a while recall if I'm right about that? Im talking about Kittens...

Anyway, there's just no way to answer the original question. Except on an individual basis.

Sounds right, I don't remember his health issues but he would eat 100-200g of carbs before his really long bike rides. I wish he hadn't left the group.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member

Sounds right, I don't remember his health issues but he would eat 100-200g of carbs before his really long bike rides. I wish he hadn't left the group.

I know. He had good info to share.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

I know. He had good info to share.

Yes he did and a unique approach to it all