Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building - Take 2

Options

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Last week I was the winner of our group challenge in Fitbit Weekly Work Hustle. I walked + ran more than 1,18,000 steps/81.5 km . Still I missed lifting and happy to hit Gym again.

My work out today:

Week 3
    Day 2

Squats 27.5 kg (60.6 lbs) 5*5
    Overhead Press 20 kg (44 lbs) 5*5
    Dead lift 44.5 kg (98 lbs) 1*5

Machine workouts:

Lat. Pull down 20 kg(44 lbs) 10X3
    Biceps Pull 20 kg (44 lbs) 10X3

Target: 48 sessions of SL in 16 weeks. Done 9/48 sessions.

Correction: That would be Week 3 Day 3.
    Cardio: 10.5 km walk.
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Week: 14/ Workout: A/ Total Weeks: 30 - Tuesday
    Squats- 83 lbs 4x6
    BP - 63 lbs 4x6
    Pendlay Rows - 63 lbs 4x6
  • mustb60
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1

21/7/16

O.Press 20 kg (44 lbs) 5*5

Deadlift 44.5 kg (98 lbs) 5*5

Machine workouts:

Lat. Pull down 10 kg(22 lbs) 10X3
    Biceps Pull 10 kg (22 lbs) 10X3

Week 3 Day 3

19/7/16

Bench Press 25 kg (55 lbs) 5*5

Barbell row 32 kg (75 lbs) 5*5

Machine workouts:

I totally goofed up in my last post, maybe because I was so tired after the session. Corrected nonetheless. Even now after the lifting am feeling so drowsy and spent.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 14/ Workout: B/ Total Weeks: 30 - Tuesday
    Deadlifts- 113lbs 4x6
    OHP - 48 lbs 4,5,5,4
    Inverted Rows - 4x6
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Sorry I've been MIA but have been on travel since Tuesday and have missed my SL workouts and trying to rest the shoulder. Would you believe it still hurts? It's really getting to be quite annoying now. Anyway, I haven't really exercised since last Friday so I told myself to get out and run after day 7 and I did. 4 miles done. SL will begin next week with a major deload. :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hello everyone. Glad to see hear you will be able begin SL again Dcresider. But be careful with that shoulder.

Every since I came back from my Vegas vacation, I have not been able to really resume my deficit on a regular. Basically, I have been bulking for 2 months now and I have about 5 to 7 lbs to show for it. Now sure how much of it is mother nature. Also, I have to say that my body has been very good to me throughout these couple of months in terms of scale up but still looking rather fit. However, you can only push that so far and I finally over did it. I'm not looking so fit as of this weekend. What makes me a bit sad though is that next week is my week 16 and I afraid I do not looking any better than when I started the 2nd phase. But I suppose I have a few extra muscles beneath the fat.

In spite of the weight gain, I am determine to resume my caloric deficit today and get back to ensuring I stay in a deficit. I want to reach my goal weight and I want to achieve it THIS YEAR.

Week: 15/ Workout: A/ Total Weeks: 31 - Monday
    Squats: 80 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press: 63 lbs 4x6
    Pendlay Rows: 63 lbs 4x6

Kettlebell Swing 22 sets x 10 reps x 15 lbs
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Good to see everyone back!
    I was on vacation and didn't have access to equipment. I got a lot of good walking in and had lots of good food! It's back to reality now!
    When I came back last week, the program recommended that I deload - which, I was happy to do!
    Instead of updating every work out, I'll just start with the last workout.
    It was tough coming back - but, I'm working my way back.

7/23/16
    Week 13 / Workout A/ Total Weeks 13

Squats -
    5x5 @ 170lbs - hard, but I did it!

Bench Press- 5x5 @ 95lbs - I really rocked it! I surprised myself - don't know where that strength came from! Lol!

Barbell row - 5x5 @ 115lbs

I've to a Tue-Thur-Sat schedule and doing my HIIT on Wed and Fri. Thanks to Fanncy0626, I'm going to start Simpke & Sinister Kettlebell routine for my HIIT workout. Elliptical is still available, if I need a break!
    I started practicing these moves today and feel good.

Well, glad to see everyone.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Welcome back Iwhayes! Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

Fanncy has also inspired me to give kettlebell swing try. I did Week 1 day 2 of the 5 week program this morning. I really like swinging the kettlebell. I bought a 15 lbs but only used it the first day. This morning, I decided to go ahead and use my 25 lbs KB and it felt good. My arms and upper back a little sore from day 1. I will see how it goes for 5 weeks.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    7/26/16
    Week 14/Workout B/ Total Weeks 14

Squats -
    5x5 @ 180lbs. Was a very good lift day for me. It was tough, but doable.

OHP - 5x5 @ 75lbs. Ladies - I really rocked this! Again, a very good lift day

Deadlift - 5x5 @ 215lbs!! Yep! I still can't believe it! I wasn't shaky. It went well. I'm going to go ahead and follow the 10 lb increase - but, will likely lower the increment. I do want to try it at 225 first.

Big difference today is that I worked out in the afternoon due a schedule change at work. Unfortunately, I just found out that I'm going to be changing depts and schedules again - I'm not exactly thrilled about it. The lifts helped me to focus and work through some of my apprehensions. It helped me to find some upside in this move.

Well, so it goes.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    DDHFree - I can't see doing swings between rests on SL days, but I'm all for it on rest days. Is that what you're doing?
    Are you following Simple & Sinister?
  • mustb60
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2

Squats 30 kg (66 lbs) 5*5

Bench Press 27.5 kg (60.6 lbs) 5*5

Barbell row 37 kg ( 81.5 lbs) 5*5

Machine workouts:

Today I decided to add 4 kg/8.8 lbs instead of 2.5 kg in barbell row and I was able to do it!! It was an increment day over all.

@Iwhayes820 That's amazing indeed! You are in the zone. Hope you can sort out the timing suitable for lifting in spite of the dept. Change.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    lwhayes820 wrote: »
    DDHFree - I can't see doing swings between rests on SL days, but I'm all for it on rest days. Is that what you're doing?

Yes I am doing it on my lift days. I am doing this program but haven't yet looked at Simple & Sinister. I will check it out as well. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

It's going to take a me a moment to figure this out. I was just looking for a way to burn some extra calories in order to create a little more of a deficit.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Cheer up DDHFree!! As you and everyone here knows that bulking is a part of getting more muscles. I guess you will find more definition after cutting. I am learning a lot just by reading everyone's post here and in other forum.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 15 Workout: B Total Weeks: 31 - Wednesday
    Deadlifts: 115 lbs 4x6
    OHP: 50, 48, 48, 43 lbs (really struggled with this).
    Inverted Rows: 4x6

Kettlebell Swing 18 sets x 10 reps x 25 lbs

Looks like I'm back to struggling with OHP now that I am eating at a deficit again. But my main goal now is to lose as much fat as possible and maintain as much muscle as possible. So I'm okay with no gains during this time if that's what it takes.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Shoulder feels better but I'm going to wait it until next week to start shoulder work, just in case. Meanwhile, here's yesterday's workout focusing on legs and boy am I sore today:

Workout: (Strength and Cardio):
    Squats: 4 x 6 @ 105 lbs.
    DeadLifts: 1 x 6 @ 115 lbs.
    Leg Press: 3 x 8 @ 90lbs.
    Calve Press: 3 x 8 @ 70 lbs.
    Planks: 2 @ 1 minute each, and 30 weighted crunches
    Cardio: 30 minute light run. 40 bike ride commute (home to work to home).
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    lwhayes820 wrote: »

Yes I am doing it on my lift days. I am doing this program but haven't yet looked at Simple & Sinister. I will check it out as well. http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

It's going to take a me a moment to figure this out. I was just looking for a way to burn some extra calories in order to create a little more of a deficit.

Yes - it will take a bit to figure it out! I'm with you. Glad we're going through it together.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Kettble Swing Workout
    Kettlebell Goblet Squats: 3x5x25
    Kettlebell Swing 13x10x25
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a dumb question? What type of plates are those? When I first started, I was using non-olympic plates. Because they were so close to the ground, it was really difficult to do deads at heavier weights. I switched to olympic plates, but they still don't seem any taller.
    Does that make sense?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    fabfindz05 wrote: »
    Can I ask a dumb question? What type of plates are those? When I first started, I was using non-olympic plates. Because they were so close to the ground, it was really difficult to do deads at heavier weights. I switched to olympic plates, but they still don't seem any taller.
    Does that make sense?

There are definitely no dumb questions. But not sure who the question was meant for.
  • lwhayes820
    Options
    Week 14/Workout A/Total Wks 14
    Squats -
    5x5 @ 185lbs

Bench Press 5x5 @ 97.5lbs. Fractional plates come in handy for this lift!

Barbell Row - 5x5 & 115lbs.

Afternoon workouts are agreeing with me, so far! Lifts going well. After 16 weeks, I'll be ready to change things up.

Tomorrow is a Kettlebell day!