2016 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - Vuelta Now Up and Rolling...

Options

Replies

• nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hey Twinkies, joined us in the club here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TwinkieScoff
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Team TwinkieScoff: it is unlikely I will ride today (Tue 10th May in this part of the world...) due to bad weather - just a heads up :#
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    No worries, Narak. We don't want anyone taking unnecessary risks. We were just lucky here the bad weather was on the rest day. Let's hope it doesn't continue, though.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    poor weather here too at the moment - looking very Grey and ominous today, but tomorrows forecast is pretty minging... I'm likely to be at "low distances" at best (doc's orders for long rides in the rain and all that stuff...)

• nerdieprofessor
    Options
    No bad weather but I did brave the parents driving their children to school traffic, which is probably more dangerous than yesterday's thunderstorms. :\
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Heads up Team Pastana: the weather in my part of the world ain't looking so hot tomorrow afternoon. Pretty much 100% chance of thunderstorms predicted. I'll do what I can, and may try to sneak in a lunch ride on the CX bike before the storms roll in, but I may very well end up with the big goose egg for KMs tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about having a Trek 820 Single track and a road bike. I don't have an excuse not to ride in the rain unless we get some real nasty Pacific Northwest rain. right now we are having a Summer heatwave temps high 80's/90's and its middle of Spring.
  • anaconda469
    Options
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Hi Team TwinkieScoff: it is unlikely I will ride today (Tue 10th May in this part of the world...) due to bad weather - just a heads up :#

Better safe than sorry.
  • anaconda469
    Options
    Hey Twinkies, joined us in the club here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/MFP-TwinkieScoff

yeah, what she said :smiley:
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I have a new Garmin 810. No idea how to get it all set up. I'm hoping the husband will magically figure it out while I'm working tomorrow.
  • ntnunk
    Options
    The nice thing about having a Trek 820 Single track and a road bike. I don't have an excuse not to ride in the rain unless we get some real nasty Pacific Northwest rain. right now we are having a Summer heatwave temps high 80's/90's and its middle of Spring.

I've got my cyclocross bike that I absolutely don't mind riding in the rain. Kinda like back in my motorcycle days: once you just accept you're going to get soaked, rain rides are actually kind of peaceful and pleasant as long as you're not freezing cold. I'm pretty much not ever going to ride outside during a Southern spring or summer thunderstorm though. Those things can get really nasty, really fast.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »

I've got my cyclocross bike that I absolutely don't mind riding in the rain. Kinda like back in my motorcycle days: once you just accept you're going to get soaked, rain rides are actually kind of peaceful and pleasant as long as you're not freezing cold. I'm pretty much not ever going to ride outside during a Southern spring or summer thunderstorm though. Those things can get really nasty, really fast.

That's my "bike of choice" for wet conditions rides as well - the 'crosser and a few bridleways / canal towpaths / field tracks makes for an interesting and fun way of getting some exercise - i'm just not allowed to "head out if it's already raining" by the Doc's - if it happens while I'm out, fine, but deliberately setting off out knowing i'm going to get soaked is just "off the menu" as it's likely to end up setting the "rib pains" going again - and I can happily live the rest of my days without EVER feeling that happen again...

• ntnunk
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    the 'crosser and a few bridleways / canal towpaths / field tracks makes for an interesting and fun way of getting some exercise

We've got a bunch of "Greenways" and there's a really nice rails-to-trails path on my way home that is mostly gravel. I really like those on the 'cross bike on days when I just don't want to deal with cars.

• nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I have a new Garmin 810. No idea how to get it all set up. I'm hoping the husband will magically figure it out while I'm working tomorrow.

OK, it's been set up and will have a maiden voyage tomorrow, hopefully.

• TheBigYin
    Options
    I've a sneaking suspicion that the server hamster for CycLeagues has fallen off his wheel...

Please don't be surprised folks if your rides don't get updated until tomorrow AM uk time, when Jason gets back from his latest epic ride...

I think Kupe and Karan's rides went in, but mine's not there, and I don't think there's been any posts other than those three today... Feel free to post your confirmations into the logging thread, but I think that for one day, there's no point in "breaking" all the auto-post links just to keep the odd ride updated.

As a confirmation to team Pastana - i've at least ridden the 40.4km total distance today, so we're not going to fail on distance today ;)
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,205 Member
    Options
    38 hours straight in the ER meant no ride on Saturday. I'll see what I can get in Sunday. No, I wasn't the patient, I was the doctor. Time to go home, get some sleep and come back tonight for another 18 hours shift. Can't wait for Monday. :smile:
  • anaconda469
    Options
    Sorry Team Twinkie Scoff for no ride yesterday(Saturday). After my neck treatment, they loaded me up on super pain drugs and kindly asked me not to ride, even just for one day. So I made up for it today, rode in a super rain storm, complete with flooded roads. Good thing I have a MTB that I also use as a road bike.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I've a sneaking suspicion that the server hamster for CycLeagues has fallen off his wheel...

Please don't be surprised folks if your rides don't get updated until tomorrow AM uk time, when Jason gets back from his latest epic ride...

I think Kupe and Karan's rides went in, but mine's not there, and I don't think there's been any posts other than those three today... Feel free to post your confirmations into the logging thread, but I think that for one day, there's no point in "breaking" all the auto-post links just to keep the odd ride updated.

As a confirmation to team Pastana - i've at least ridden the 40.4km total distance today, so we're not going to fail on distance today ;)

Back up and running, replaced dead hamster with new hamster .... don't tell the kids.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    right folks - the logging spreadsheets all back up to date again - hopefully I've fixed one or two glitches (like Susan's walk showing up as a 1.6km ride...) and I'm hoping for everyone to catch up with "declarations" over the rest day, so I can check the automatic updating routines are all working well.