Show me your garden

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
;)

So any of you who are friends with me have probably already seen this. But I'm just too excited not to share. I struggle to grow anything and am doing raised beds this year, this is my final attempt to grow food. If this doesn't work then its impossible lol.

This little cutie sprouted up last night though so I had to share. I know many of you are also doing gardens this year and I would love to see some more inspiration.

5wevs2snvnzl.jpg

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Horrible picture quality on that first one. Too bright outside - sorry about that! We harvested our first strawberry this morning.

9fu8r7e608uo.jpgaw37nfet45zr.jpg

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'll have to take pics once I actually clean out the thistles and stuff from last year. I've got spaghetti squashlings going right now that I need to get into the ground soon before they strangle themselves, though. I also have strawberries, kale, calendula, and hopefully lemongrass again this year (perennial and biannual plants for the win!).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My growing of food:
    Blueberry bushes! Was my last fruit when fresh last summer, and will have some when ripe!
    fiopiuyz5kml.jpg

Some container cabbages that my hubby grew, and need to be harvested! And that's a baby zucchini coming up.
    fu50bab6s9r2.jpg

And, my little garden of onions, that I need to pull, jalapeno plants, and many zucchini that are too close together, lol! We have tried tomatoes, without success, so many times that I decided to do something different this year!
    9uas0zulph3h.jpg

Now, I need to water!

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap How fast do the blueberry bushes grow? I found started blueberry bushes at a local nursery for $25, and my little man wanted one. I'm just worried he won't get blueberries this year. Thoughts??
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    They've been in the ground for eight years, and we've had berries every year. This year is a bumper crop!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap I do tomatoes on my deck in containers... i get huge quantities of cherry tomatoes. Neighbors thank me! :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I think we will do some cherry tomatoes to I'll probably buy those plants
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    We've just never found the right combination on the tomatoes! Terrible soil, diseases, competing with wildlife (birds, and deer), nasty cutworms...never enough quality results for the work. So, this year it's zucchini, and jalapenos! :blush:
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    They've been in the ground for eight years, and we've had berries every year. This year is a bumper crop!

Wow! Those blueberry bushes look amazing!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I will enjoy some once they're ready, and it looks like we will have enough to freeze some too! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap How fast do the blueberry bushes grow? I found started blueberry bushes at a local nursery for $25, and my little man wanted one. I'm just worried he won't get blueberries this year. Thoughts??

I had the most the first year I planted mine, actually. Subsequent ones have been less than stellar, but part of that's due to the birds, and part due to lack of branches/stems/trunks.
  • sun_cat
    sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have photos, but I just discovered five tiny little asparagus. I am quite unreasonably excited about them :)
  • KarlaYP
    Options

I had the most the first year I planted mine, actually. Subsequent ones have been less than stellar, but part of that's due to the birds, and part due to lack of branches/stems/trunks.[/quote]
    Bury some fish (heads, or other parts), around your bushes. I'm not sure what the bushes get from the fish, but hubby swears by it, and apparently it's helped ours thrive! Just make sure you bury them deep enough to keep the dog, or other critters, from digging them up! :smiley:
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bn3vv5o8pbvk.jpeg

Carrots and lettuce from our garden today!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @astrdomitter those are beautiful. Where do you live? I wish I could grow stuff all year that would be awesome. I might actually figure out what I'm doing in that case, instead of the waiting all winter and then my stuff dying after a couple weeks.

Very nice work!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am jealous. My bluberry bushes are stunted and haven't even leafed out yet. It is still so early that I haven't planted a single seed yet, although I am hopeful that i can get away with putting some seeds and seedlins in even though our typical last frost free day is still a month away.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Plants under light a few weeks ago (I am about 3 weeks late on planting ugh).

5meuu1ewuq89.jpg

This is bean trellis hubby built

dbw4plbvwpjz.jpg

Plants under lights about 2 weeks later

n7m75pq5rrkz.jpg

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    We planted zukes and yellow squash last night. Carrots, romaine, tomatoes, and spinach today hopefully. Since we are finally getting some rain later in the week.

We may plant some green beans, cukes, and corn though we haven't decided yet.
    Plants under light a few weeks ago (I am about 3 weeks late on planting ugh).

Us too. We got 3 late frosts and we had a drought going. It looks like the cold is gone now though. Finally. I want my zukes!!

• auntstephie321
    Options
    @ettaterrell your stuff looks awesome. that bean trellis is so cool. I'm still waiting for my guy to set up the raised beds and build a frame with fencing around it to protect from the neighbors dogs. in my mind it's going to look amazing, lol. hopefully the rest of my seeds will sprout, if not I do live next to a nursery and they should be having their big spring sale around planting time.
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I live just outside of Austin, Texas