Show me your garden

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    @canadjineh It isn't perfectly round, but I'll see if I can take some measurements next month and come up with a fair diameter. What I know is that it is enormous. I've attached a picture - the house is in the way, but you can see it sticking up from behind.

j20un8sohw5d.jpg

No sunlight, no garden.

Methinks you'll have to put garden in the front yard, can you do that?

Dan

It won't be much, but I'm a newbie so probably shouldn't do much. You see those flowers along the foundation on the left? That is where I'm thinking I should start.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    @canadjineh It isn't perfectly round, but I'll see if I can take some measurements next month and come up with a fair diameter. What I know is that it is enormous. I've attached a picture - the house is in the way, but you can see it sticking up from behind.

j20un8sohw5d.jpg

No sunlight, no garden.

Methinks you'll have to put garden in the front yard, can you do that?

Dan

It won't be much, but I'm a newbie so probably shouldn't do much. You see those flowers along the foundation on the left? That is where I'm thinking I should start.

Good idea, look into "raised bed" & "Square foot gardening".

Dan
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm doing raised beds this year. I'll post when they are set up. You could absolutely put them in the front yard. Lots of people in the city do if they don't have back yards
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Fence for deer or rabbits, @autstephie321 ?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Fence for deer or rabbits, @autstephie321 ?

Neighbors dogs mostly. We do have rabbits around, at least we used to, no deer though
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Deer are our problem here, one year a doe that a neighbour was hand feeding (stupid man!) ate the centers out of all my dad's radicchio. Just went in one night and took the vital bite out of each one. Dad was SOOOO MAD, if he was able, there would have been a venison carcass in the freezer.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Deer are our problem here, one year a doe that a neighbour was hand feeding (stupid man!) ate the centers out of all my dad's radicchio. Just went in one night and took the vital bite out of each one. Dad was SOOOO MAD, if he was able, there would have been a venison carcass in the freezer.

Oh my goodness, that would be heart breaking. I noticed a bunch of chipmunks back in the woods today, I'm hoping the fence will be enough.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    A massive hailstorm ripped through on Saturday and killed just about everything. My little tomato plants are beaten to hell, but there are some green tomatoes still attached to the vine. All my greens, especially those massive collards, got their leaves thoroughly mutilated. Cabbages and cauliflower seem to be doing okay.

I've got my fingers crossed that things grow back. :(
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    A massive hailstorm ripped through on Saturday and killed just about everything. My little tomato plants are beaten to hell, but there are some green tomatoes still attached to the vine. All my greens, especially those massive collards, got their leaves thoroughly mutilated. Cabbages and cauliflower seem to be doing okay.

oh no fingers crossed for you :( I'd be devastated
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

oh no fingers crossed for you :( I'd be devastated

I really kind of am. :/
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    :( I'm so sorry @panda_poptarts, do you have time to plant new ones
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Yes, I can if needed. That's just a matter of buying new plants *grumble*. We may get some more here soon. I'm hoping they just start to show signs of re-growth. The stalks are all okay, it's just the leaves, so we may just get a later harvest than expected. I was able to get outside with buckets and baskets and a swimming pool quickly enough to salvage the main plant at least!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @Panda_Poptarts cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli will survive the Apocolypse, I'm pretty sure, lol. Too bad about the tomatoes though :'(
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    @canadjineh Couldn't agree more!! The baby tomatoes are still holding onto the vine, and appear to be intact. If they survive the trauma of so many stalk breaks, we'll be fine. I was so proud of my collard greens. They were averaging out at 120g per leaf. Massive! I hope they re-grow.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was reminded this past weekend that my brother's girlfriend is a forestry professor... definitely going to ask her to look at that tree now.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Our enemy the wood chuck says we grow the best cauliflower :s

rg2zwzfuorpj.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Some of my zucchini are turning out to be cucumber! I guess it's a good thing since I had an awful headache after eating zucchini the other evening! Jalapenos are still alive, but not growing. Blueberries are really looking good though! Should have fresh blueberries in a couple of weeks!

@auntstephie321, love your garden! That looks awesome!

@Panda_Poptarts, so sorry for your garden! I hope it recovers! Mother Nature has become a real B word!!

@KenSmith108, at least something is getting fed from your garden! Hate they have four legs though!

Has anyone ever tried using black pepper to keep the critters out of their garden? I've heard it used to keep cats out of flower beds, but haven't ever tried that either. The instructions were to pour it around the perimeter of the garden and it deters animals. Just curious!