Jason Fung is hilarious!

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
New blog post:

Have you ever noticed that there’s a formula for writing best-selling diet books? I’m going to reveal the secrets right here, right now. I’ve been thinking about this since writing The Obesity Code….how to write a best-selling diet book.

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4f49b1bc5c73173b727fe0ca2&id=032a127901&e=07510dda63

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hmm . . . says the guy who has not published a peer-reviewed (i.e. available without paying an arm and a leg) report of his work and will not disclose details of the diets his patients follow, unless you become his patient (oh, by the way, there's about a 1 year waiting list. But there may be other options if you're willing to see someone he trained/who is working under him).

#funnyinanironickindaway
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    New blog post:

Have you ever noticed that there’s a formula for writing best-selling diet books? I’m going to reveal the secrets right here, right now. I’ve been thinking about this since writing The Obesity Code….how to write a best-selling diet book.

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4f49b1bc5c73173b727fe0ca2&id=032a127901&e=07510dda63

He has unlocked the secret formula to adoration and riches.

Do you think pickles or mustard would be a better hook?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's happening right now...
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's happening right now...

Dr. Fung humorously explained how to commercially launch a proprietary diet through the use of gimmicks, or hooks, and other marketing techniques.

One commenter finds it ironic that Dr. Fung's regimen apparently has proprietary elements also.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I believe the intent of this blog was missed somehow.

Dr. Fung trying to be funny. Maybe a fail?

Interesting how "diet" books are born though! :blush:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Hmm . . . says the guy who has not published a peer-reviewed (i.e. available without paying an arm and a leg) report of his work and will not disclose details of the diets his patients follow, unless you become his patient (oh, by the way, there's about a 1 year waiting list. But there may be other options if you're willing to see someone he trained/who is working under him).

#funnyinanironickindaway

That he won't disclose the details of his treatment sounds like...a doctor...to me.
    That he doesn't publish peer reviewed publications doesn't really surprise me either.

He's a practicing physician. Does he have "the answer"? I dunno. What are Jimmy Moore's credentials? :)
    He's basically Jared Fogel, Susan Powter and Richard Simmons. We just like his message more.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

#funnyinanironickindaway

That he won't disclose the details of his treatment sounds like...a doctor...to me.
    That he doesn't publish peer reviewed publications doesn't really surprise me either.

He's a practicing physician. Does he have "the answer"? I dunno. What are Jimmy Moore's credentials? :)
    He's basically Jared Fogel, Susan Powter and Richard Simmons. We just like his message more.

Hopefully he doesn't have much of Jared Fogle in him, he's not a very nice guy to be associated with anymore with his deviant persuasions having been brought to the public's attention and him subsequently being jailed.

But on a lighter note, the tendency to keep clinical trial details and specialty diets under wraps is one of the biggest reasons I'm so impressed with the diabetes research going on here in the UK in Newcastle. They have provided details of their program to encourage other docs to share with their patients or for people to try it themselves (though of course they advise medical care). But this research is what inspired me to really fight to get off my insulin, and I'm nearly there.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
  • neohdiver
    Options

#funnyinanironickindaway

Except that he is actively promoting his program and proclaiming that he has the answer, if you'll only pay him to hand it over.

I don't expect physicians to disclose treatment details (or publish peer-reviewed research), except when they produce numerous self-promotion videos that include trotting out patients and disclosing enough to encourage you to hand over money but not enough to evaluate whether doing so is a valid investment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

#funnyinanironickindaway

Hopefully he doesn't have much of Jared Fogle in him, he's not a very nice guy to be associated with anymore with his deviant persuasions having been brought to the public's attention and him subsequently being jailed.

But on a lighter note, the tendency to keep clinical trial details and specialty diets under wraps is one of the biggest reasons I'm so impressed with the diabetes research going on here in the UK in Newcastle. They have provided details of their program to encourage other docs to share with their patients or for people to try it themselves (though of course they advise medical care). But this research is what inspired me to really fight to get off my insulin, and I'm nearly there.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Awesome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

#funnyinanironickindaway

Except that he is actively promoting his program and proclaiming that he has the answer, if you'll only pay him to hand it over.

I don't expect physicians to disclose treatment details (or publish peer-reviewed research), except when they produce numerous self-promotion videos that include trotting out patients and disclosing enough to encourage you to hand over money but not enough to evaluate whether doing so is a valid investment.

Two reasons come to mind:
    1. Common practice.
    Pick a diet, there's a book, a website, a pay site.
    2. liability.
    One can't safely treat someone for a metabolic condition over the internet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I read most of this without realizing that it was written by Fung for his IDM blog. I was confused at first. LOL

I like Fung. He seems to want to help people and believes in his plan. He isn't really selling anything beyond his book, of which the information in it is completely on his blog and videos. He genuinely seems to want people to understand his thinking and then adapt it for their own.

I'm not 100% behind his plan, but much of it makes sense. There are just parts of his science (protein catabolizing) that I don't quite "get", but that seems to be true for every diet book I have ever read - there ends up being something that doesn't fit 100%.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just skimmed the article, but it might help to understand the context. He recently wrote a diet book, of course. But there was a recent nasty article about diet books. Especially diet books written by doctors. And specifically about the one written by Dr. Ludwig.

The article was entitled "Diet Books are Full of Lies." There was a storm of controversy. The article was retracted and rewritten.

Here's the revised article:
    http://www.vox.com/2016/3/24/11296168/down-with-diet-books

And Ludwig's response:
    https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/all-diet-books-do-not-lie-an-open-letter-to-vox-editor-ezra-klein-edb1caeba0d0#.dwmyapt7a

BTW, the picture in Fung's article of "success" is my doc. :)
  • neohdiver
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    @neohdiver not sure why you keep banging this particular drum.

Fasting is free! Anyone can try it out without giving Dr. Fung a dime!

I've explained it to you. You choose to ignore my explanation and continue to build straw men you can easily knock down about generic fasting - so once again: Yes, anyone can fast. Fasting is not the point. Curing diabetes is. Fung is claiming his techniques cure diabetes, based on carefully determined fasting protocols, which he will disclose only if you pay him for it. He trots out patients (testimonials) and - touts dramatic cures but provides insufficient details for potential clients to evaluate whether it is worth investing the money to find out the details. He hasn't published, nor does he point to, evidence to support his claims. (Yes, he points to theoretical underpinnings upon which he built his own theory, and I found some of that very useful in designing how I am currently eating. But he stops several steps short of documenting what he claims, or providing enough information so that it can be replicated (either by people interested in a cure, or in designing research to prove (or disprove) his theory.) Having a practice, where the website touts a 1 year waiting period for admission, is a further marketing technique. Scarcity breeds a perception (not necessarily backed by reality) that what he is selling must be really, really, really valuable.

My point in this thread is that it is ironic that his marketing techniques are so similar to those of the best selling diet books he is poking fun at.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    @neohdiver not sure why you keep banging this particular drum.

Fasting is free! Anyone can try it out without giving Dr. Fung a dime!

I've explained it to you. You choose to ignore my explanation and continue to build straw men you can easily knock down about generic fasting - so once again: Yes, anyone can fast. Fasting is not the point. Curing diabetes is. Fung is claiming his techniques cure diabetes, based on carefully determined fasting protocols, which he will disclose only if you pay him for it. He trots out patients (testimonials) and - touts dramatic cures but provides insufficient details for potential clients to evaluate whether it is worth investing the money to find out the details. He hasn't published, nor does he point to, evidence to support his claims. (Yes, he points to theoretical underpinnings upon which he built his own theory, and I found some of that very useful in designing how I am currently eating. But he stops several steps short of documenting what he claims, or providing enough information so that it can be replicated (either by people interested in a cure, or in designing research to prove (or disprove) his theory.) Having a practice, where the website touts a 1 year waiting period for admission, is a further marketing technique. Scarcity breeds a perception (not necessarily backed by reality) that what he is selling must be really, really, really valuable.

My point in this thread is that it is ironic that his marketing techniques are so similar to those of the best selling diet books he is poking fun at.

True, but I think Fung is Canadian... A one year waiting period is pretty standard for anything that isn't life threatening in my neck of the woods. :D
  • nvmomketo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Just skimmed the article, but it might help to understand the context. He recently wrote a diet book, of course. But there was a recent nasty article about diet books. Especially diet books written by doctors. And specifically about the one written by Dr. Ludwig.

The article was entitled "Diet Books are Full of Lies." There was a storm of controversy. The article was retracted and rewritten.

Here's the revised article:
    http://www.vox.com/2016/3/24/11296168/down-with-diet-books

And Ludwig's response:
    https://medium.com/@davidludwigmd/all-diet-books-do-not-lie-an-open-letter-to-vox-editor-ezra-klein-edb1caeba0d0#.dwmyapt7a

BTW, the picture in Fung's article of "success" is my doc. :)

Thanks for the links. :)
    The case made against diet books by doctors is weak. If we should not read any diet books until the theory is proven 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt, we technically should not read any diet books. Ever.

I don't think any diet has been proven to be 100% true beyond eating gluten free for those with celiac, avoiding anaphilactic foods, and reducing carbs (and pairing it with proteins) to help lower insulin needs in diabetics.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    behindfencesmiley.gif

Just a reminder to keep it civil. From your friendly neighborhood nosey-mod. :wink:
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't agree with everything Fung says. But I find it hard to see anyone can make an advice of "not eating" proprietary. @neohdiver. I totally get that it must be infuriating that someone is treating for a diagnose that you have, but you can't get the "recipe". But for the accusation of Fung acting greedy, I see it differently. He's put out hours and hours of research for free both on the blog and in his videos. One can read between the lines about most of it.

He also states several places that patients are very different and need customized eating plans. So there's no guarantee following a certain protocol that worked for someone else will work for you. Liability.

Lucky for you the UK is now in front concerning publishing about a specific protocol reversing T2D markers. Dr. Roy Taylor at Newcastle University. It's 600 kcal/day for 8 weeks. Even that study showed that for very hard cases 8 weeks wasn't enough. For many, 4 weeks was sufficient. The main interesting takeaway for ME is that a fatty pancreas considerably contributes to a deranged glucose disposal. And that different tissue can have different insulin sensitivity. Which could explain why if someone has a lot of muscles and exercise lots (Peter Attia) he can still get T2D if unlucky in the pancreas lottery. Which could also help explain why someone like me can NOT shed scale weight unless I fast. I always gain in mid section first :(

The study also said that people who have been obese for long (+6 years) run the risk of reduced beta cell function. Making it increasingly harder to lose weight EVEN ON LOWCARB DIET.

ButterBob in youtube explains why the level of fasting insulin is so important. It clicked in my mind when I saw him. Even protein can raise insulin up to 58% I think Phinney and Volek said in their books. Maybe because protein cannot be stored as energy. Fat raises insulin up to 10%. Which goes to show that this incessant measuring of BG is only a proxy. BG is not always congruent with insulin levels. It's the one lesson fructose, sugar alcohols and alcohol should give us. Which could possibly explain that snacking on lots of fat quite often has a metabolic cost if the pancreas is already vulnerable.

Btw, Attia is no longer on keto macros. He's on 120-150 g, he said in the IMHC stem talk. He's using a CGM. He didn't inform us of why he stopped keto. But I guess his BG is much lower than he anticipated.

Too bad there's no easy way to measure insulin levels. THAT is a marker I'd be willing to pay a lot for if there was a reliable hometester.

I'm not saying every T2D should try Dr. Taylor's protocol. Especially if not research very well first. But it does give hope. Also for ME, I'm pretty certain I was heading towards T2D. If you want inspiration a lot of people in the UK following Mosley's bastardization of 800 kcal/day do see improvements in BG. I really find it annoying he's again using someone else's data to argument for his own tweaked protocol. I guess extrapolating findings is one of my pet peeves. Anyway, if you browse through the reviews of Mosley's book The 8 week Blood Sugar Diet (on amazon.co.uk), there's an overwhelming number of people trying it out, claiming mostly success.

The Taylor protocol for reversing T2D is a pioneer study. So take that into account. I wish you the best :)

TL;DR A UK study from 2015 has shown reversal of T2D with a very low calorie and lowcarb diet that mimics fasting/gastric bypass.
  • neohdiver
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

True, but I think Fung is Canadian... A one year waiting period is pretty standard for anything that isn't life threatening in my neck of the woods. :D

There is a difference between having a one year waiting period - because that is standard in the area, and using that one year waiting period as a marketing tool. I don't believe most Canadian practices advertise the waiting period on their websites.

It is the teasers (fantastic claims + not enough information to evaluate or implement without buying into an expensive treatment program), testimonials (without data about where the testimonial patients fall within the spectrum of everyone who has tried the plan), and using limited access as a marketing tool that are red flags for me that it would take more effort to unpack, verify, and make useful his claims than it would to start from scratch and do my own independent research.

I've been at sorting the internet wheat from the chaff for a long time (since 1988 for 6 uncommon or rare diseases collected by my family, and easily double that for more common diseases - and yes, I did have internet access to medical information in that era via Q-Link and the Cleveland Free-Net systems). I have developed criteria I use to determine whether a site/claims are a productive use of my limited research time or not. (My criteria is not that different from standard advice for when you can rely on an internet site or not.) Applying that criteria, Dr. Fung's internet portfolio falls mostly on the not inherently trustworthy side of the line. It doesn't mean he is wrong - but it means that I can't rely on it without investing more time than it's personally worth.

Foamroller wrote: »
    I don't agree with everything Fung says. But I find it hard to see anyone can make an advice of "not eating" proprietary. @neohdiver. I totally get that it must be infuriating that someone is treating for a diagnose that you have, but you can't get the "recipe". But for the accusation of Fung acting greedy, I see it differently. He's put out hours and hours of research for free both on the blog and in his videos. One can read between the lines about most of it.

You're certainly free to draw your own conclusions. As noted above, I have criteria that I have developed over a period of nearly 3 decades that has served me (and my family) very well in sorting out fluff/marketing/not inherently trustworthy sites and claims from those that I can rely on without the need to do extensive additional research. Based on that criteria, Dr. Fung's work falls in the camp with the marketing practices he is poking fun at.

By my criteria, Dr. Taylor's research (two studies + a third, in progress) falls into the category of work that is inherently trustworthy - although his subsequent proclamations disavowing the premise of his research do not. His research was premised on eating a diet that mimicked the bariatric surgery diet. He has now extended his findings (without data-backed justification) to losing weight by any means, at any speed (i.e. the same old canard that if you just lose enough weight you will no longer have diabetes). Although it is possible he could develop the data to support that conclusion (although I have my doubts), I am currently disappointed that he is promoting, as a cure, a path for which neither his own data, nor any other non-volunteer data he has named, provides any support.

That doesn't mean that I believe every newly diagnosed diabetic should follow his diet, or that if they did each one would be cured. But he presents a small, but convincing, collection of data, collected in a scientifically rigorous manner, that supports his original premise: that a 6-800 calorie diet, followed for a period of 8 weeks, has the potential to put diabetes in remission - and that it is more likely to be effective for recently diagnosed individuals, and younger individuals.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

There is a difference between having a one year waiting period - because that is standard in the area, and using that one year waiting period as a marketing tool. I don't believe most Canadian practices advertise the waiting period on their websites.

True again. I am sure he used the waiting period as a bit of advertising. I honestly don't know if most practices advertise their waiting periods on their websites. I know some do, like for MRIs, because it can take months to get in after a referal and they probably don't want to be tested. But sure, he probably milked it a bit.