Extreme Weight Loss Drops Metabolism - Long Term?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

I just read this article, and the long term reduced metabolisms are terrifying. It makes me wonder if my dropping 50 pounds in 3 months (at least 90% of the weight loss was in 3 months, though I officially measured it as 6 months due to weigh ins) stalled about my metabolism's burn that much, as I keep having the repeat creep trying to get me back to 300+ pounds, despite the fact that that weight loss was back in 2012. I've maintained my losses within a range for these last almost 4 years, and if I let even the tiniest thing slide, I'm back on the gain scale again.

As long as I'm sticking strictly with plan, the calories don't seem to matter as much, but they do still matter. How frustrating! Is there any way that anyone knows of to defeat this? Proactively preferably? Because I sure don't want to get anywhere close to a healthy weight and have to fight harder to maintain my losses than I did to lose them in the first place. That's sure a way to trigger insanity!

Replies

• peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just read this too! The authors talk a lot about leptin and how important it is in feeling satiated. I wonder if there is a way to increase leptin levels and thereby decrease hunger? Although for myself the best way to naturally decrease cravings is to adhere to keto and not allow any carb creep.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Sadly, I haven't found one go to thing that decreases my hunger. Some days I'm naturally less hungry, other days cravings take over my brain. I know that I really need to get my gut biome tested, but it's so far down the road... Then add messes like this to the mix, and it's one of those things where I honestly just don't see how we can fight biology without being properly equipped.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just read that. It's scary! My weight loss/gain has all been within a 30-lb range (20-lb for much of my adult life) and even that has been difficult. I have been discouraged by how much yoyoing I've done. i have maintained my lower weight for 1-2 or maybe 3 years at a time but then for various reasons I end up gaining again.

I had prediabetes when I was 10 lbs from the top of that range though, even though I actually did exercise and eat a relatively healthy diet then (compared to the SAD). My dad and his mom were both thin diabetics and I have their build (tall, long-limbed, small bone structure but disproportionately big belly). I feel like my body does better/I feel healthier at the bottom of this range but I did start to wonder as my weight loss slowed to a halt even at 1350 cals/day if my metabolism was really slowing down, too. I have a feeling maintenance for me now might be only about 1500-1600 cals/day, even at 5'7".
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    BTW, it looks like the study was just published today:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full

The participants rapidly lost massive amounts of weight, primarily from body fat mass (FM) with relative preservation of fat-free mass (FFM), likely due to the intensive exercise training. RMR was substantially reduced at the end of the competition, indicating a large degree of metabolic adaptation.

So much for that theory. :)
  • anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I read this article too. It is getting a lot of press as it about the Biggest Loser. However, it was a really small sample size.

Nonetheless, this has been shown quite a bit in previous studies - not to mention that maintaining weight loss has a really really low success rate.

I have also seen people noting that reduction in metabolism is likely unique to a program like Biggest Loser with the intense and rapid weight loss.

However, do we know that metabolism is less affected when weight loss is slow? The Lancet study below (large, randomized controlled experiment), found no difference in success of maintaining weight loss with fast or slow programs. Subjects in both treatments tended to regain all of the weight. They didn't measure metabolism though. It will be interesting to learn more about the mechanisms underlying the decline and continued low level of metabolism.

Purcell et. al. 2014. The effect of rate of weight loss on long-term weight management: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet
  • anthophora
    Options
    Also, the final few paragraphs of the research article featured in the NYT are interesting. They note that while there was a lot of weight regained in the Biggest Loser contestants. They still did better than subjects in most other weight loss programs. They even cite a study that found faster initial weight loss led to greater success in weight maintenance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The problem with biggest loser is the goal was to lose. There was no specification of what they needed to lose other than scale weight. So they worked them to their limits constantly and fed them as little as they could get away with. Sure, that forced weight loss. But a good portion of that was muscle. There will never be any benefit in that! There was never any consideration to their long term. They only needed to prove that these fat people simply needed to eat less and move more and they made that exact point to millions of people every year who try to do the same thing on their own, sacrificing their own metabolic health in the process thinking they are doing the right thing.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    BTW, it looks like the study was just published today:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full

The participants rapidly lost massive amounts of weight, primarily from body fat mass (FM) with relative preservation of fat-free mass (FFM), likely due to the intensive exercise training. RMR was substantially reduced at the end of the competition, indicating a large degree of metabolic adaptation.

So much for that theory. :)

I wondered about that since they usually exercise so much. Makes sense. So preserving muscle is helpful but not enough by itself.

I am really hoping I will be able to maintain long-term this time (even though my amount of weight lost was far less dramatic; it was about 15% of my body weight) and that eating lower carb will help with the satiety problem. The idea that you have to stay hungry all the time, forever, to maintain is very depressing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    How would Fung's idea that those fasting do not experince a slowed metabolism fit into this? Total bunk?
  • anthophora
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    anthophora wrote: »
    it was a really small sample size.

16 subjects. All of them regained weight. 11 had a decrease in RMR even after weight gain. 5 of them had an increase in RMR, suggesting the weight gain was appetite driven rather than a metabolic adaptation.

Pretty clear most of them were high carb during the regain. Big increase in insulin, insulin resistance, and blood glucose.

I will have to think about this more. I think it is likely that factors other than RMR are involved.

However, I didn't see where in the paper 5 people had an increase in RMR (although I didn't read the paper all that closely). Figure 4 shows that RMR increased for 5 subjects from 30 weeks to 6 years but all were below baseline (all negative numbers on the Y axis). Also, interestingly, they note that the greatest declines in RMR were associated with those subjects that experienced the greatest weight loss. Nonetheless, I agree there is a lot to this story and look forward to seeing what comes out in the future.

I think the relevant issue here is not whether they did or did not regain weight but the degree of weight loss (1 subject did actually keep off weight). Biggest Loser contestants actually did quite well compared to other diet programs.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There are also lots of studies about excessive cardio not being a great idea. But, building muscle-- good idea. Exercising (mostly cardio) for 6 hours a day, not such a good idea. Also, their main food choices were advertised as subway sandwiches. That can't be good for anyone either! LOL.

Plasma leptin levels of elite endurance runners after heavy endurance training.
    J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci. 2005 Nov;24(6):573-8.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16377941

People who performed intense cardio suffered from decreased T3 hormone production.
    Eur J Appl Physiol. 2003 Jan; 88(4-5):480-4.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12527982

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I was actually not intending to focus on the mechanisms of the program BL follows, but more so on folks who lose quickly or consistently, etc.

Personally, in January 2012, I weighed 298. But that June, I was down to 250. In mid-March I'd shown no measurable losses, but I didn't formally weigh in either. So roughly 5-6 months for 50 pounds lost. I'm sure at least some of that was muscle, though I was far more physically active in those months than I had been in years...

After that, over the next 2 years, I mostly maintained, but hit a slow gain, was back up to 272 in February of 2014. Got down to the 250's again, before regaining over the holidays and starting low carb on 1/15/15 at 262 pounds or so... I got down to 239 by the end of March, hit a wall - presumably at least in part due to workout intensely outdoors with limited water and such for a 4 day period. I have never gotten back to that number, maintaining the rest of 2015 in the 250's, while losing some inches, before going off plan at the holidays and getting back up to 265 or so.

Rebooted mid-January again, and have had a few off plan meals here or there, have slimmed up some inches, dropped back down to the 255 range again. It's just so frustrating. For months at a time, I followed the exact same plan, same carb spread, same foods, same activity levels that I did when I was losing slowly but steadily. And next to nothing doing. We're now to May, and I'm down maybe 5 total pounds in 3.5 months, and back into the next pants size, though not fully...

Then I get into a frustration loop of not seeing real progress for 4-8 weeks, then wanting to face-plant into everything off plan to east the frustration, and end up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy... SIGH I don't have the willpower I need, losing 3 additional hours out of each work day (more sleep, commute) has just left me feeling optionless. I'm trying to figure out my options, my failings, etc., because all of this is just getting old. "Just do it..." has never in my life worked...and usually creates the opposite result of what's intended.
  • anthophora
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    There are also lots of studies about excessive cardio not being a great idea. But, building muscle-- good idea. Exercising (mostly cardio) for 6 hours a day, not such a good idea. Also, their main food choices were advertised as subway sandwiches. That can't be good for anyone either! LOL.

Agree. However, it doesn't seem as if Biggest Loser is any worse for weight regain than other diet programs. Will be good to see whether low carb diets help maintain weight loss as I don't think LCHF has been tested in this context.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    does it say how they measured their current metabolic rate? I can understand that while on the show they would've been highly supervised and tested continually, but how are they checking that now? I admit I didn't read the study but read most of the article. it felt like it skewed toward sounding like they were making excuses for the contestants that regained as if it had nothing to do with the highly unsustainable low calorie, high calorie burn diet they were on, and are no longer following.