Extreme Weight Loss Drops Metabolism - Long Term?

Options

Replies

• anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    In her book on Diet & Exercise, Gina Kolata had the same message: might as well give up because you were born to be fat. I just don't buy it. I think we may need to really work hard to find what works for us, and may need a lot of support, but it is doable for most.

I completely agree that as individuals we need to push through for our health and fitness!!!!

I am glad this is coming out however. Kolata isn't pushing a way to lose weight but is simply reporting what really is the evidence. This what I appreciate about science journalists.

People always have this notion that those that regain their weight did so because they were lazy or lacked will power. It is much more complex than that. Hopefully this will prompt more development and thinking about long-term health.

I hope there are more tests to actually see what works. This is tough as longitudinal studies are really difficult.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before:
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/03/constitutional-obesity-and-resistance.html

It's basically a theory that our fat destiny is predetermined by the fat cells we grow as kids. Fat cells (almost) never die, and they're always bugging us to refill them if we deplete them. :(
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Kolata isn't reporting on "evidence" she is reporting on a few individuals -- and without really even giving the facts. What is their muscle mass, what is their exercise regimen, and what are they eating (carbs, sugar, one of them chips)? What kind of social/psychological support are they getting. This is not science just a typical news headline, "selling the newpaper" without really getting at the facts. And who are the controls? Those who lost weight slowly? Those who lift weights? Those who stayed away from their binge foods? Those who eat low carb? We don't even know who the "controls" could be since we don't know what this handful of people are doing. And how about the person who didn't gain much weight? What did she do differently. I think Kolata does a disservice by her "you were born that way" approach to this issue. By the way she is a tiny little thing, and thinks she was born that way (and who knows) but she has exercised fiendishly according to her news articles over the years, and eats in a very intentional way.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that actually thinks that WAS quite a lot of FFM to lose? Why is it any surprise their RMR is so low with so much FFM loss?
    I must just not be reading this right because it seems like a lot to me.
    I know they aren't very accurate, but my scale has shown an increase in my muscle mass even with my minuscule amount of exercise over the last year. I went from trending around 24% in June to 28% currently. With BF around 41% to about 32% now. Even knowing it's not super accurate, I think it's safe to say that I haven't made backward progress.
    I mean, I realize I've lost some muscle but the percentage in relation to my current weight has improved.
    I would rather see these numbers in this format myself. It makes more sense to me that way.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Am I the only one that actually thinks that WAS quite a lot of FFM to lose? Why is it any surprise their RMR is so low with so much FFM loss?

FFM went from 50% at baseline to 71% at the end of the show. After 6 years, it went down to 53%.

RMR was predicted based on their particular tissue composition. It was WAY below the predicted value.

Even after regain, RMR was still in the toilet.

Pretty much the definition of "broken."
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

FFM went from 50% at baseline to 71% at the end of the show. After 6 years, it went down to 53%.

RMR was predicted based on their particular tissue composition. It was WAY below the predicted value.

Even after regain, RMR was still in the toilet.

Pretty much the definition of "broken."

Ok. I just needed the percentages I guess to "get it". Lol
    So they were pretty much right back to the same FFM they started at, even if they were still not as heavy as when they started.
    Seems to me it's possible it's about the choice of exercise then? If they kept up muscle catabolizing exercise habits on lower calorie diets trying to maintain their weight, they just kept on spending metabolically valuable muscle for 6 full years! Right?
  • anthophora
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    Kolata isn't reporting on "evidence" she is reporting on a few individuals -- and without really even giving the facts. What is their muscle mass, what is their exercise regimen, and what are they eating (carbs, sugar, one of them chips)? What kind of social/psychological support are they getting. This is not science just a typical news headline, "selling the newpaper" without really getting at the facts. And who are the controls? Those who lost weight slowly? Those who lift weights? Those who stayed away from their binge foods? Those who eat low carb? We don't even know who the "controls" could be since we don't know what this handful of people are doing. And how about the person who didn't gain much weight? What did she do differently. I think Kolata does a disservice by her "you were born that way" approach to this issue. By the way she is a tiny little thing, and thinks she was born that way (and who knows) but she has exercised fiendishly according to her news articles over the years, and eats in a very intentional way.

I guess we will have to disagree on this one. The evidence is overwhelming that the vast majority of people (about 80%) regain nearly all of the weight they have lost. That is a fact. I am not sure where her facts were wrong. Maybe she excluded some stuff you wanted and I would love to see what research has been done on some of your excellent questions.

There are other studies that have looked at some of that. For example, speed of weight loss doesn't seem to affect whether weight is controlled (Purcell et. al. 2014. The effect of rate of weight loss on long-term weight management: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet). I don't know the literature well enough to comment on the others. That being said, I will take the research approach over diet gurus and anecdotes.

• wabmester
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ , yeah, a good comparison is Keys' famous Minnesota Starvation Study. It wasn't really "starvation." It was high-carb and low-calorie. Pretty much the same results. Everybody ate like crazy, regained most or all of the lost weight. Fat comes back more quickly than muscle.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Kevin Hall interviewed on CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/05/02/biggest-loser-show-weight-gain-post-show-lead-hall.cnn

"evidence on fixing this problem is very limited"

"something is special about bariatric surgery"

"if we can better understand what's special about surgery, maybe we can help people keep weight off longer"
  • wabmester
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    How would Fung's idea that those fasting do not experince a slowed metabolism fit into this? Total bunk?

Fung wrote about it today!
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-biggest-loser-diet/

I do not follow his logic at all. He essentially says bariatric surgery patients don't have this problem, therefore fasting doesn't have this problem, because bariatric surgery is just like intermittent fasting (as opposed to calorie restriction). :s
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This is why I've been hanging out here during maintenance. ...

But my discovery is that it's ALL about appetite regulation. Low carb helps keep my appetite in check, even during maintenance.
    Me too. I find that when I go off LC and eat carbier foods, I bloat up and start to crave more... not a good thing.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    In reading this thread and understanding what Dr. Fung is saying, maybe it's important to read about his refrigerator/freezer analogy. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-solving-the-two-compartment-problem/

I've experienced a big difference between eating lowered calories (whether SAD or LCHF) 3x day and eating the same number of calories (or less) while intermittent fasting. Weight loss, satiety and energy have all improved. I think my body likes dipping into the freezer. I guess time will tell whether it resets my metabolism to a normal level as Dr. Fung says it will. I hope he's right.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Leptin

As a person who has lost a large chunk of weight in a healthy manner (Paleo) and still gained most of it back, I plan to focus on Leptin and minimizing Leptin resistance. For me, the weight regain was all about the incredibly strong urges to binge.

It is my only take away from that article because I have no idea if my metabolism has slowed. Here's hoping that that effect was a result of the extreme plan used on the Biggest Loser.

The good news is that healing Leptin Resistance goes hand in hand with lchf. Why heal Leptin Resistance? Leptin hormone is released by body fat. Less Fat = less Leptin, so being sensitive is important.

"Leptin (from Greek λεπτός leptos, "thin"), the "satiety hormone",[a] is a hormone made by adipose cells that helps to regulate energy balance by inhibiting hunger. Leptin is opposed by the actions of the hormone ghrelin, the "hunger hormone". Both hormones act on receptors in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus to regulate appetite to achieve energy homeostasis.[2] In obesity, a decreased sensitivity to leptin occurs, resulting in an inability to detect satiety despite high energy stores." Wikipedia

Most Leptin protocols recommend a high protein breakfast (30-50 grams), 4-5 hrs between meals with no snacks, a low carb menu. I will link some good articles below.

http://wellnessmama.com/5356/fix-your-leptin/

http://www.wellnessresources.com/leptindiet/leptindiet_home.php

https://www.jackkruse.com/easy-start-guide/

• anthophora
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do not follow his logic at all. He essentially says bariatric surgery patients don't have this problem, therefore fasting doesn't have this problem, because bariatric surgery is just like intermittent fasting (as opposed to calorie restriction). :s

I agree that was a tough blog post to read through. He notes that bariatric surgery is the 'bigger badass brother of IF". I saw no logic in this at all and he doesn't provide any.

Also, I was annoyed when he wrote: "So why did all those Biggest Loser contestants gain all their weight back after 6 months?" (emphasis mine). This simply isn't true. Most did not gain all of the weight back. As noted in the paper, 57% of the BL subjects maintained at least a 10% weight loss after 6 years. The number for other dieters is closer to 20% of subjects maintain at least a 10% weight loss for a similar time period. There is too much emphasis on the notion that the BL diet is horrible when in reality all diets are in the long term.

I think IF is great and am doing it now. The data for the health benefits are growing. It will be interesting to see how long-term studies measure up. I don't know of any and last I saw was a quote by David Ludwig that these types of studies haven't yet been done. I would imagine that they in the process now with researchers like Varaday and others.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @wabmester and @antophora. I agree that was not his finest moment in writing. Although I'm generally a fan of Fung, I really don't like blanket statements and oversimplification dressing as general conclusions. We are humans after all and we all do mistakes here and there.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In reading this thread and understanding what Dr. Fung is saying, maybe it's important to read about his refrigerator/freezer analogy. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-solving-the-two-compartment-problem/

I've experienced a big difference between eating lowered calories (whether SAD or LCHF) 3x day and eating the same number of calories (or less) while intermittent fasting. Weight loss, satiety and energy have all improved. I think my body likes dipping into the freezer. I guess time will tell whether it resets my metabolism to a normal level as Dr. Fung says it will. I hope he's right.

I agree with @wheatlessgirl66. I can eat same or more "calories" with better results body composition wise. I think it's crucial to give the body enough time to recuperate and actually spend some of the stored fat. Insisting on eating/snacking means burning the newly ingested calories. (I love snacking :( )

I posted this video in another thread. But Mark Mattson talks specifically about LEPTIN regulation and how IF/running/sedentary affects satiety in mice. From min 20:48.
    From min 25 he talks about BDNF in humans.

https://youtu.be/ZpcVku45hFY
    Very fascinating!

I notice I always completely lose hunger when trained really hard. The same happens when IF regularly. What a coincidence ;)
  • wabmester
    Options
    Among obesity doctors, there seems to be a consensus that bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment. It has the best record for long-term weight loss. Not 100%, but better than any other known approach.

The holy grail is to understand why it works so well and to replicate those benefits without surgery.

Some clues are slowly coming in:
    Physiological adaptations following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and the identification of targets for bariatric mimetic pharmacotherapy.

Three biological responses linked to changes in gastrointestinal tract structure and function post-RYGB, that are implicated in the clinical efficacy of RYGB and that have actual or potential applications as non-surgical mimetic based approaches are addressed. These are (1) exaggerated post-prandial gut hormone responses; (2) local increases in undiluted bile in the gut lumen and augmented circulating bile acid and FGF19 concentrations and (3) compositional changes in the gut microbiota.

I find this fascinating. It's not the mechanical constriction per se, but it's several physiological adaptations to the surgery that leads to long-term success.
  • anthophora
    Options
    Among obesity doctors, there seems to be a consensus that bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment. It has the best record for long-term weight loss. Not 100%, but better than any other known approach.

The holy grail is to understand why it works so well and to replicate those benefits without surgery.

This is exactly it!

We can make all sorts of assumptions as to why the vast majority (~80%) of people cannot keep the weight off (they don't lift, they don't do LCHF, they do too much cardio, they are lazy, insert any diet guru's advice here, etc. etc. etc.). However, we don't know much yet...so it is still a shot in the dark for how to best maintain. The research community also needs to address how/why RMR seems to get so completely broken after weight loss. A decrease in RMR with an increase in appetite is such a difficult problem.

Losing weight is the easy part - keeping it off is where the real challenge comes in.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Interesting @wabmester! The actual bypass of the small intestine must play a big role in what is described. Could be that food doesn't encounter bile as quickly could account for the changes in intestinal microbiota. Or the malabsorption. Or a combination of both. Will be curious to see what their conclusions are!

It has been proven that some roux n y patients have managed to dilate the opening to the small intestine with overeating making the food eaten slip straight through, never stopping in the stomach pouch, and the person doesn't ever feel satiated! Turning their intestinal tract into just a tube! It can be corrected, but most insurances consider this to be another WLS (weight loss surgery) and won't cover it.

Some WLS patients are able to change their relationship with food once they reach max weight loss, and their ability to maintain weight lost goes up, but they have also added regular exercise from what I have seen. My bariatric surgeon is always telling me to jog (I don't believe my history will allow this though he doesn't even take that into consideration of my situation), so I'm sure he has seen the greatest success with his patients who exercise regularly too!

Will be interested to see if they can find a resolution to the metabolism issues after weight loss! Would be monumental for maintenance!