Be careful with food selections on low carb/keto

Options
Buildingit3157
Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
I am home recooperating from a 230am ER visit. Kidney stones and infection. Ouch! Ive never had a history with anything like this organ related. No medicines that induce it, no family history of it etc. I was averaging about 50 carbs a day, eating very healthy, loads of water, supplementing vits, himalayan salt etc. Good oils and following our WOE.
I'm taking a big step back as I'm looking at my future. I want my Kidneys to be happy. I will definitely be monitoring those carbs still as I am def carb sensitive but this was an eye opener and it, without a doubt, is due to high levels of uric acid, calcium, and ox-something which is found in nuts, spinach etc ::sigh:: Im going to eat healthy and modify. I think I was following this woe for approx 6 weeks.
I just wanted to put this out there.
Something to think about. Be well! I can't wait until I am again. Antibiotics and pain meds and movies for me today.
xx

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that happened to you. Get well soon!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Oh my God! I'm still passing them. I don't want blockage! Noo...you know how scary this is.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Blockage is pretty rare (lucky me). And it's even more rare in women. You'll do fine.

Increase water intake. Consider supplementing with Mg-K-Citrate. Take it easy on the high-oxalate foods, and maybe the high-purine meats.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Get better soon.
    BTW: I had mine way before LCHF.

>:) or o:)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    UGH...my sympathies. I have a dear friend who is T1D. She also follows this WOE but is further restricted by having to follow a low-oxalate diet. Here is a website I found that I shared with my friend:

http://www.lowoxalate.info/

Hope the info there is helpful to you as well and get better soon!
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    UGH...my sympathies. I have a dear friend who is T1D. She also follows this WOE but is further restricted by having to follow a low-oxalate diet. Here is a website I found that I shared with my friend:

http://www.lowoxalate.info/

Hope the info there is helpful to you as well and get better soon!

Thank you :)
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Did they do microscopy on your stone? Might be useful to know whether composition wise was a result from urate, oxalate, or calcium...diet wise what to avoid. Likely a combo, but might have a major component in one of these chemicals.

Citrate and/or bicarbonate salts won't affect ketosis...don't confuse ketosis with metabolic acidosis (deadly, pH < 7.20, HCO3- < 22 mmol/L (or mEQs, same units for montvale to)
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am home recooperating from a 230am ER visit. Kidney stones and infection. Ouch! Ive never had a history with anything like this organ related. No medicines that induce it, no family history of it etc. I was averaging about 50 carbs a day, eating very healthy, loads of water, supplementing vits, himalayan salt etc. Good oils and following our WOE.
    I'm taking a big step back as I'm looking at my future. I want my Kidneys to be happy. I will definitely be monitoring those carbs still as I am def carb sensitive but this was an eye opener and it, without a doubt, is due to high levels of uric acid, calcium, and ox-something which is found in nuts, spinach etc ::sigh:: Im going to eat healthy and modify. I think I was following this woe for approx 6 weeks.
    I just wanted to put this out there.
    Something to think about. Be well! I can't wait until I am again. Antibiotics and pain meds and movies for me today.
    xx

Thanks for posting. I hope you feel better soon! Wow, I eat several of the foods on the list daily. Even chocolate is on the list, and I do cocoa/cacao pretty regularly. Looks like I'll be cutting back on a few of my foods. Again thank you for posting.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Oxalates become a problem when a person is missing population of Oxalobacter formigenes in the gut microbiome. This often happens when someone has had it wiped out by too many rounds of antibiotics. And apparently when they are decimated they are gone. OxThera is developing a probiotic treatment that has actual O. formigenes but it looks pharmaceutical right now (just a quick search, mind you), and I've heard that Lactobacillus plantaris, Bifidus lactis, and Bifidus infantis will eat oxalates as well, though they aren't as efficient. You can find them alone or in probiotic blends (I take one) which may help you out. And also eating fermented foods like (real, non-pasteurized) sauerkraut, natto, kimchi, kefir, and etc could help with that. This is an issue of the gut microbiome being damaged. Look into pairing any probiotics with a little bit of prebiotic foods to help the strains in the probiotic to take hold.

So in addition to reducing oxalates temporarily, you might want to try doctoring your gut bugs.

I've been researching this a little as I just finished a 3 week round of antibiotics. So far, I'm doing great. I eat chocolate, spinach, and other high oxalate foods and am doing fine. I took pro and pre biotics all along, including home-grown sauerkraut, and I've had zero trouble with my gut that I know of.

HTH.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Oxalates become a problem when a person is missing population of Oxalobacter formigenes in the gut microbiome. This often happens when someone has had it wiped out by too many rounds of antibiotics. And apparently when they are decimated they are gone. OxThera is developing a probiotic treatment that has actual O. formigenes but it looks pharmaceutical right now (just a quick search, mind you), and I've heard that Lactobacillus plantaris, Bifidus lactis, and Bifidus infantis will eat oxalates as well, though they aren't as efficient. You can find them alone or in probiotic blends (I take one) which may help you out. And also eating fermented foods like (real, non-pasteurized) sauerkraut, natto, kimchi, kefir, and etc could help with that. This is an issue of the gut microbiome being damaged. Look into pairing any probiotics with a little bit of prebiotic foods to help the strains in the probiotic to take hold.

So in addition to reducing oxalates temporarily, you might want to try doctoring your gut bugs.

I've been researching this a little as I just finished a 3 week round of antibiotics. So far, I'm doing great. I eat chocolate, spinach, and other high oxalate foods and am doing fine. I took pro and pre biotics all along, including home-grown sauerkraut, and I've had zero trouble with my gut that I know of.

HTH.

Thanks for the info but I'm a huge probiotic person. I have yogurt, saurkraut , olives, pickles kifir etc multiple times per week. That's why I probably never get sick... Until now. I've had probably 2 rounds of antibiotics in 4ish years. I don't take many supplements, maybe MG, fish oil, b complex, d3 but not each and every day either. Im baffled by this, being a woman and having no family history of kidney stones, and I'm not obese either. I probably have 25 lbs until my ideal weight. Personally im just modifying to low carb instead of keto. I love my spinach and asparagus and nuts! .... I guess I just need more allowance on carbs to make different and varied choices however. I hope this message will just make people consider food choices and variety! :)
  • wabmester
    Options
    Did you get your 24-hour urinalysis yet? If not, request it after you pass the stone(s). It'll give you lots of insight into how it was made.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

HTH.

Thanks for this, a bit of a reminder for me
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    C&P from above info website, but worth highlighting:

"Eating foods high in oxalate is not the only way for oxalate to get high in cells and blood. Our bodies make oxalate on their own, especially when certain enzymes aren't balanced in their activity because of genetic differences or because someone has deficiencies in enzyme cofactors like vitamin B6, magnesium or thiamine. Oxalate also can be generated in the body when someone is getting high doses of vitamin C or consuming high levels of fructose."

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @Buildingit3157 thanks for tip. I have been eating lots of those foods. I am now trying to work through how to eat v low carb and low histamine and get variety. Might need to relax the v low to just low to get those 3 objectives to overlap! Thought provoking. Thanks again.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Shortstuff1207
    Shortstuff1207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had loads of kidney / bladder issues for the first few months. Doc had me on antibiotics for a year... Been off them all for a few months now, fixing my body with LCHF living, homemade kombucha and homemade kefir. Took some work to make these things fit with keto, but all good now.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight unhealthily about 10 years ago (not even close to low carb either). As soon as I started eating somewhat normal again I got gallstones and ended up in the ER and then gall bladder out. THey were not surpised at all - losing weight fast or lots of it leads to this a lot. So little to do with WOE or LCHF I dont think.

So deal with it, but don't change a WOE that is working for you in every other way!
  • Shortstuff1207
    Shortstuff1207 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Toxins are stored in body fat, we all know this. So these toxins need to go somewhere when that body fat is burnt. The body has no option but to expel the toxins in whichever way possible and the majority of them are bound to go through the body's internal waste system - kidneys / bladder / etc. No surprise that this puts extra strain on the body, but it does get easier as there are less toxins to lose.
  • dgncnc
    dgncnc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    just started lc a few days ago. Working against sugar addictions from lifelong. So glad to read these posts for the info. something to always be aware of. Speedy recovery to buildingit3157!