Intermittent Fasting

Options
Carnivorekat
Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
I am really interested in doing this to help with my weight loss and have read the Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung, is there any other great books to read to give me more information or is the information given by Dr Fung the best out there - have decided to start next week and I am going to be fasting 2 or 3 days a week at first and then changing to the 16-8 rule for maintenance. I have a lot of weight to lose and since doing LCHF I have been feeling fantastic but want to take it one step further now.

Any advice greatly welcome as really want to get it right.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of links in the launchpad where IF was discussed.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

I sort of find that I do it naturally. Even before low carb I never ate breakfast. So I stop eating after dinner about 7pm, have coffee with MCT oil and butter in the morning, then eat again around 2pm.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    Fab thanks - will take a look at all the links
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am going to be fasting 2 or 3 days a week at first and then changing to the 16-8 rule for maintenance.

I'd start with 1 day a week for at least 4 weeks and see how you feel. Fasting can affect people differently. If you find it agrees with you, awesome, then try for a longer one.
    But the daily shortened eating window might be a better fit (the 16:8 you mention is one version) ... so even if the long fast during the week doesn't seem like a good deal, try the daily version for several weeks as well. Might be the ticket for your particular physiology, psychology, lifestyle, and habits.
    Also there is alternate day fasting aka 5:2.
    Those are the 3 main categories of IF.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

I'd start with 1 day a week for at least 4 weeks and see how you feel. Fasting can affect people differently. If you find it agrees with you, awesome, then try for a longer one.

Good advice. Since the goal is long-term health, no need to start training with a marathon.

I'd be inclined to start with 16:8 (or confining meals to a span of less than 8 hours, if your schedule permits it), then move to 1 day/week.

Good luck !
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'd start with 16:8 and build a flexible program tailored to your lifestyle from that :)
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    great, thanks for the advice, will start with the 16-8 and see how I get on, to be honest that is pretty easy as only tend to eat once or twice a day anyway
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am just learning this myself, however one of the big things Dr. Fung says is to use bone broth during your fasts. Keeping up fluids and electrolyte balance are very important.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here's a low-key introduction to IF by Dr. Michael Lara, who discusses a number of different protocols:
    https://youtu.be/mZZWOXhoFpoo