Magnesium?

Options
morrowsarah
morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
What magnesium supplement do you take? I need to find one but can't figure out which one is the best.

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We get Spring Valley Magnesium Citrate.
    We're Walmart shoppers.
    We've never compared so...

>:) or o:)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I use a magnesium citrate capsule that I get from Amazon. Avoid the oxide types! They don't absorb well, and can cause bathroom time to be unpleasant, lol!
  • morrowsarah
    Options
    Thank you! I bought magnesium oxide the other day, didn't realize that's what it was until I got it home, I haven't opened it yet because I was thinking that was the wrong one. I'll return it and look for the citrate. Thanks you guys!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I believe we've all made that mistake hun! At least you didn't open it, like I did! :smile:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I use a magnesium citrate capsule that I get from Amazon. Avoid the oxide types! They don't absorb well, and can cause bathroom time to be unpleasant, lol!

Not that you need any further clarity but ditto :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just throughout some magnesium/potassium aspartate supplement thanks to info on here.

An article about magnesium and type 2 diabetes is below may be of interest to some.

nutritionalmagnesium.org/diabetes-mellitus-linked-to-magnesium-deficiency/

"2.Use stevia as a natural sweetener which comes from the leaves of a plant that grows in South America and avoid the sugar substitute aspartame, which can worsen blood sugar control and cause weight gain, headaches, nerve damage, and eye damage, because it is made partly from wood alcohol, which breaks down to formaldehyde."
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Mag citrate. If you can find it in powder caplets all the better for absorption. I've been mag deficient for many many years and I get mine at CVS when they have them buy 1 get 1. Remember, regardless of the type of mag...it is a natural laxative. Too much of any mag product and well....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I take about 750-1000mg magnesium carbonate which turns into magnesium chloride during digestion. Magnesium chloride has the highest absorption. So that's my first choice, but carbonate was cheaper and I buy it in bulk, powder form from Bulk Supplements.
    I adjust the dosage based on bathroom needs :blush:
    When I'm not eating vegetables I don't seem to need as much. When I do eat vegetables, I take more because it helps the fiber pass which my digestive system doesn't seem to like...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I take 1000mg magnesium malate daily. Used to take citrate, but I got laxative effects even at lowest doses.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I believe we've all made that mistake hun! At least you didn't open it, like I did! :smile:

Yep I still have a bottle. Was kinda thinking I wonder if I can grind it and add to my garden soil to help my plants this year. I think I'll have to research that.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I take mag glycinate at night it helps with anxiety and calming as well but at first it makes you sleepy. It's also one of the more absorbable forms, I love it. I want to try malate to as it's supposed to help with chronic pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Yep I still have a bottle. Was kinda thinking I wonder if I can grind it and add to my garden soil to help my plants this year. I think I'll have to research that.

@auntstephie321 - From what I understand, you can just dump the pills into the soil, I was told you don't need to treat them in any way...
  • morrowsarah
    Options
    I take mag glycinate at night it helps with anxiety and calming as well but at first it makes you sleepy. It's also one of the more absorbable forms, I love it. I want to try malate to as it's supposed to help with chronic pain.

Where do you get those? I take anti anxiety meds. But deal with pain daily. And I don't sleep well even with sleeping pills. I would love to have setting natural to help with all these issues!
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Where do you get those? I take anti anxiety meds. But deal with pain daily. And I don't sleep well even with sleeping pills. I would love to have setting natural to help with all these issues!

I get it at a local health food store but you can get it on Amazon too
    http://www.amazon.com/KAL-Magnesium-Glycinate-400-tablets/dp/B00013YZ1Q
    http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Magnesium-Stress-Orignal/dp/B000OQ2DL4/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463538036&sr=1-5&keywords=Natural+calm
  • morrowsarah
    Options
    Thank you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Magnesium-supplements-may-help-blood-sugar-management-for-pre-diabetics-RCT

This is something that showed up in my mail box so I do not know about the source but it is about Magnesium. Check out the other links at the bottom of the articles. Here is one.

nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Magnesium-shows-insulin-benefits-in-non-diabetics-Study

• kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The RDA for magnesium for women is 310-320 mg a day. If I eat avocados and walnuts, I am pretty sure I am getting enough to satisfy that much, but why take 1000 mg a day? I want the maximum benefit, as I am diabetic and have had heart issues. Please tell me why you are supplementing with 3x the RDA.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    It's another issue of ketosis for me. I have to replace it at 800-1200 mg daily, or I will suffer leg cramps. Also, the RDA I don't trust for everyone. It comes down to the fact that we are all different and one amount doesn't work for all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I consider the RDA amount to be the very least a person should get.
    Certain things just get eliminated through digestion if you were to happen to take too much, like magnesium and vitamin c, so the only risk you face upon an overdose is some loose stool. Your body may not have a need beyond the bare minimum, but it can put larger quantities to use if they are supplied.
    Check out the book The Magnesium Miracle.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I take Mag Carbonate, but due to stomach issues (things dont stay in my stomach long enough for the outer coating on pills to break down, so they dont absorb in intestines) - I take a powdered "instantized" verison - http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Essence-Labs-Ionic-Magnesium/dp/B004986V66, they say it is "ionized" so it absorbs instantly... Not sure of the science or whether their claims are all true, but I will take my chances.

Tastes nasty to drink, but at least I get the full benefit this way.