Unsupportive people

Options
2»

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My family is supportive of me but no one else eats low carb. Although a couple of my kids are moderate carb, my hubby and one son are probably high carb. It works. We don't push unhealthy foods on each other, but I do admit to pushing protein on my boys. ;)

We mostly eat the same meals, just altered. I'll add extra fat and skip any potatoes or noodles, and my hubby will cut back on the heavier fat dishes to avoid high carb and high fat together.

If someone eats junk food, I try to have something keto friendly like pork rinds or nuts. No thanks seems to be enough. My hubby and I have been together long enough that we don't indulge in behaviors we aren't interested in just to keep our spouse company. ;) He knows that he can't change me and I can't change him. I'll offer snippets of advice or health fact tidbits but thats it.

This is my home in a nutshell. I have two girls, though and I ask them to consider Keto but neither think they can with school. My Love and I support each other's needs and don't want to change each other. We eat the same meals, I just up my butter and avoid the carb sides.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've realised that I was a really bad influence on people for years. I love to cook and feed people, it's my way of showing my love and affection. I'm sure I've contributed to many people's weight gain, most definitely my husband's. He and I are very independent and we don't have kids, so right now we frequently prepare our meals.

My mom is visiting from America and just spent a couple weeks with our family in England and half her activities were centred around food, she's already struggling to fit into her jeans.

My life isn't centred around food anymore, so I'm learning new ways to adapt to having company over. It's funny, normally I would have been feeding her huge meals as a way to welcome her to my home, but she keeps complaining that she needs a snack because I'm not feeding her enough lol. She's freaking out on me right now because I haven't eaten anything today, but I'm not hungry. My mom has T2 diabetes, but has always been normal weight, so she struggles to understand my weight issues.

Food can definitely change or at least impact our relationships. I'm so grateful my husband has finally reached such a supportive place. He doesn't buy junk food that I would be interested in.

How do we center our lives around something else? I think about that a lot. Mother's Day yesterday...let's take Mom out to eat. Christmas and Thanksgiving...huge feasts. And I'm the trouble maker. I LOVE to cook and feed people too. So when I want to celebrate my daughter's birthday (she'll be 21) next month...what do I do if I don't bake her a cake and take her to dinner? It seems like food is what brings us together...this struggle is real.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple but effective way to train your hubby. The next time he tried to push junk food on you, don't say a thing. Just smile then get up and leave the room. Repeat this every time he does this. He will eventually get a clue and stop doing it. It is after all your body and your health at issue / stake here, not his.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I've realised that I was a really bad influence on people for years. I love to cook and feed people, it's my way of showing my love and affection. I'm sure I've contributed to many people's weight gain, most definitely my husband's. He and I are very independent and we don't have kids, so right now we frequently prepare our meals.

My mom is visiting from America and just spent a couple weeks with our family in England and half her activities were centred around food, she's already struggling to fit into her jeans.

My life isn't centred around food anymore, so I'm learning new ways to adapt to having company over. It's funny, normally I would have been feeding her huge meals as a way to welcome her to my home, but she keeps complaining that she needs a snack because I'm not feeding her enough lol. She's freaking out on me right now because I haven't eaten anything today, but I'm not hungry. My mom has T2 diabetes, but has always been normal weight, so she struggles to understand my weight issues.

Food can definitely change or at least impact our relationships. I'm so grateful my husband has finally reached such a supportive place. He doesn't buy junk food that I would be interested in.

How do we center our lives around something else? I think about that a lot. Mother's Day yesterday...let's take Mom out to eat. Christmas and Thanksgiving...huge feasts. And I'm the trouble maker. I LOVE to cook and feed people too. So when I want to celebrate my daughter's birthday (she'll be 21) next month...what do I do if I don't bake her a cake and take her to dinner? It seems like food is what brings us together...this struggle is real.

I'm trying to focus on activities that we can do together to stay busy instead of sitting around the kitchen table eating. It really is hard though, my mom is probably as frustrated with me right now because our day isn't all about food as I am that all she wants to do is eat. Thank god for my husband for helping me stay calm every time she asks about food.

Is there somewhere special you can take your daughter for her birthday? To a concert, the theatre, a museum, amusement park, pottery class, etc?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Or, if you do want to include food as what brings you together, make a choice and indulge in a healthier but more expensive food that you normally would. Steak and lobster or seafood fest or whatever. Buy some truffle oil or truffle salt and indulge your inner foodie. Make steaks at home and experiment with homemade herb butters. Try a low carb biscuit recipe.

Make a low carb berry cheesecake. Or set out to make a smorgasboard of only "on plan" foods - I bet that would be an excellent way to show them how easy it can be to do, once you've made up your mind to stick to it. A fancy cheeseboard served with pickles, olives, low carb meats, small quantities of fancy things you've always wanted to try but can't afford on a regular basis, etc.

I'm trying to focus on activities that we can do together to stay busy instead of sitting around the kitchen table eating. It really is hard though, my mom is probably as frustrated with me right now because our day isn't all about food as I am that all she wants to do is eat. Thank god for my husband for helping me stay calm every time she asks about food.

Is there somewhere special you can take your daughter for her birthday? To a concert, the theatre, a museum, amusement park, pottery class, etc?

LOVE these ideas, too. Make your special times about the memories you can make together!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My mum and I are out walking, seeing sites, doing craft classes like painting our own delft tile together and visiting tourist attractions. Learning a new skill with a teenager is more memorable than a meal. Mum rode on the back of a harley for her 60th and abseiled /climbed a cliff for her 70th. They are more memorable and great stories than us cooking her another nice chocolate cake. Traditions are awesome and food does connect us, so do shared experiences, laughter and even messyness when we try the high ropes and the little kid is far quicker than the oldies. Have fun!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options

I baked my daughter a cake for her 21st and just didn't eat it. It wasn't a big deal. I took her out for sushi and I got mine without rice wrapped in cucumber! We all had a good time!