Short term/Long term goals...

Options
Hey, folks. Thanks for being active here so far! So let's talk goals. Long term goals are only accomplished by satisfying short term goals, right? So let's chime in on short and long form in that order. For me, my short term goal is to catch up with work such that I can simply get a plan together! That's pretty basic, but you have to start somewhere and I'm currently at ground zero. Long term goal is to get back to my weight from about 12 years ago. That means I need to lose about 50 lbs. That seems super daunting to me, so I may want to think about it in chunks (no pun intended) of 10 lbs. 5 sets of 10 lbs seems realistic to me. That would put me at a reasonable and healthy weight, not skinny by any means, but I will never be a six-pack ab kind of guy. LET'S HEAR IT, FOLKS!

Replies

• MelodyBri
    MelodyBri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise and food goals I have a plan for, it is all about sticking to it, which is hard when you work in an office that loves to bring bread products in on a regular basis. But as for a basic short term goal, I want to every night write 100 words for a book I am working on and finish up the requirements to get my CPA. Long term, besides lose a 1 to 2 lbs a week.... Get my 22 month old potty trained and participate in another Tough Mudder for 2017. Sorry my goals aren't all health related and all over the place.
  • mar922
    mar922 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Short term goal: get into the 170s. I am at 181 right now so I should be there by next week! I have 5-10 lb goals as well and it makes it seem so much more attainable. I would also like to start working out at home.

Long term goal: to get down to my goal weight and to join a gym. I will stop losing weight when I am comfortable and can fit all my old clothes again,although at that point they will probably be out of style haha.
  • lmgroupiegirl
    lmgroupiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to be more active in general. My job isn't physically demanding and neither are my hobbies.

Long term goal is to get fit. I've been skinny, but I've never had stamina nor been in shape.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Hi, my long term goal is to lose 45 lbs. I know if I try to lose it quickly I won't make it. My short term goal is to lose 15 lbs by end of September.

For me, it's about finding the last 400 calories a day, to try to lose a little less than 1 lb a week for the next year. I am older and have physical issues, so I can't really do intense workouts. I have a Fitbit and try to get 11000 steps a day in. That's good for two hundred extra calories relative to being inactive. And if I can stop snacking after dinner then I might have the other 200!
  • cinemkr
    cinemkr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    200 1bs seems like a reasonable goal for a 6' 4" dude - I was always on the lanky side and 168 lbs when I graduated college. But the first time I looked down and thought "Buddy...you're getting fat...I was 215 lbs. so that's my short term goal. Getting gloriously back to when I thought I was fat.

Then 200 lbs.

This isn't (just) vanity. I have two little girls and so many of my contemporaries are dying young. Stroke. Heart attack. Etc. I want to see them grow up.

So first goal: daily exercise routine. Walks...then see if I can run without having a coronary.

Later Dudes (in the non-gender way.)
  • runningmcgee
    runningmcgee Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My short term goal is 155 (169 currently) after a pregnancy high of 210. 155 was what I weighed when I conceived. I'd like to eventually get down to 142 or so, that's what i weighed when I felt I looked my best. But I think my real goal is to no longer have a "mother's apron". I have been heavier than I am now before having a baby, but I never, ever, had a stomach that overhung. I hate it and want it gone.
  • Ertridoc
    Ertridoc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Short-term goal is to drop 15 pounds, long-term goal is 100 (!!). Hoping to accomplish this is 5-lb increments each month. Oy. Gonna need some help staying motivated and consistent with my crazy schedule!
  • KaelaGibbons
    KaelaGibbons Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to go to the new exercise studio that I joined a couple months ago at least 4-6 days a week for the next three months. I was able to do it last month and I'd like to keep that momentum going for summer.

Long term I'd like to maintain a more active lifestyle than I have in recent years.

• PimpernelSmith
    PimpernelSmith Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have many short term goals that have the long term goal of becoming habit. It supposedly takes 90 days to make the brain form a habit (or break the spine of a bad one), so my short term goals are to go 90 days:
    -- Not eating after 7:30pm (so that my metabolism gets a 12-hour fast each day)
    -- Practicing mindfulness meditation each day
    -- Working out in some fashion 5 days a week
    -- Calorie counting...

I HATE calorie counting. I managed to do it for a solid year, with the Lose It app, but I ended up eating the same foods over & over just to keep documenting it simple, and got sick of it. Any alternative suggestions most welcome -- ? --
  • Ksmith952
    Ksmith952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Short term? Get back to being active after a couple hiccups my body endured (replaced hips, pinched nerve in my back... I'm too young for this!). Long term, I'd like to get down to my pre-hip issue weight, some 25 pounds south of where I am today.
  • catmcclelland
    catmcclelland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have many short term goals that have the long term goal of becoming habit. It supposedly takes 90 days to make the brain form a habit (or break the spine of a bad one), so my short term goals are to go 90 days:
    -- Not eating after 7:30pm (so that my metabolism gets a 12-hour fast each day)
    -- Practicing mindfulness meditation each day
    -- Working out in some fashion 5 days a week
    -- Calorie counting...

I HATE calorie counting. I managed to do it for a solid year, with the Lose It app, but I ended up eating the same foods over & over just to keep documenting it simple, and got sick of it. Any alternative suggestions most welcome -- ? --
    Mfp makes logging pretty convenient. Take the time to enter in meals/recipes that you eat a lot. Try to become familiar with how many calories are in familiar things and then log the first thing that comes up when you search - for example, if I eat PB&J, I just search PB&J and log that. It might be using different bread or a different jelly or whatever but I can look at the total calories and think "yeah, that's about right" and it saves time versus entering every individual ingredient. Find a convenient time of day and enter as much as you can at once.

• catmcclelland
    catmcclelland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Short term goal: Don't ruin my progress on the weekends with too many beers, burgers, and brats. Also, start walking on my lunch break to get some extra calories off.
    Long term goal: The body of a greek god(a few years after his prime).
    Nice long term goal ;)
  • feebeesnees
    feebeesnees Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to do some cardio type exercise at least every other day (4x per week). I'm pretty good at getting my 10,000 steps while walking the dog, but I need to something more aerobic. My long term goal is to lose about 40lbs... from 190 to 150. More attention to what I eat will make a big difference here. I did it about 6 years ago, but it has now come back....
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of short and long term goals but I won't list them all here...lol

Short term - help motivate and encourage others to persevere in achieving their goals
    Long term - Become a motivational speaker

Short term - Lose 25 lbs
    Long term - Lose 145 lbs

Short term - Increase my fitness levels by walking 10,000 steps a day minimum
    Long term - Be a role model to the Air Cadets in my Squadron as one of the pillars of the program is physical fitness

Short term - Go down 2 clothing sizes
    Long term - Be a size 7 (Canadian sizing)

Short term - vlog my journey 5 times this month
    Long term - vlog my whole journey

Anyway, there are a lot more but I will leave at that...

Have an awesome Thursday all!
  • kershner23
    kershner23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Short term goals are pretty much establish healthy and productive routines and my long term would be sticking to them! I run 3 times a week but want to add strength training and more challenging endurance training. I have a good meal plan for the last month, I just have to stick with it. I want to lose 35 more pounds by October, giving me 100lbs lost this year. Longer term I want to compete in a Spartan Race. I have 13 months to train.
  • RudeGirll
    RudeGirll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Short term goals are walking at least 10k steps a day, and going for a bike ride at least 3x a week. Long term goal is to get to my goal weight of 160(30 lb loss).