Did you swim today?

2»

Replies

• buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 288 Member
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I've never swam with a joint problem so I'm hoping that since it's low-impact it won't aggravate anything.

I need a hip replacement, spinal fusion, and rotator cuff repair plus I've had ligament replacement surgery in my ankle, and my orthopedists all recommend swimming to maintain activity without stressing the joints further.
  • buniphuphu
    I did half a mile tonight. I had a hard time mustering up the motivation to go to the gym because I didn't want to face the heat again, but I went and had a leisurely swim.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    buniphuphu wrote: »
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I've never swam with a joint problem so I'm hoping that since it's low-impact it won't aggravate anything.

I need a hip replacement, spinal fusion, and rotator cuff repair plus I've had ligament replacement surgery in my ankle, and my orthopedists all recommend swimming to maintain activity without stressing the joints further.

Sorry you have to go through all that- sounds really painful! Thanks for sharing though- I've been a little paranoid about aggravating it just because it completely affects my job but it sounds like it won't be a problem which is a relief :smile:

Also, great job on swimming yesterday even though you weren't really feeling it!
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    I find the most rewarding workouts are the ones I don't feel like doing in the first place. ;)

Last night I swam the full kilometer. It's getting easier! Last night I did ALL my lengths in 50m intervals instead of mini breaks at every 25m. So proud of myself! Though I do need to work on my flip turns.
  • buniphuphu
    I logged another half mile today. I normally do elementary backstroke, but today, I mixed it up a bit. I did some elementary backstroke, some normal backstroke, and 50 meters of freestyle. Man, my breathing SUCKS! I sucked in a big lungful of water when I got my timing just slightly off. *cough, cough, sputter, hack, wheeze*
  • spring913
    Breathing is hard!! It took me a few weeks to get back into the swing of breathing properly during freestyle. I'm still working on not turning my head too far out of the water. There are some great Youtube videos that I found helped me remember proper form. Next step: bilateral breathing!
  • buniphuphu
    I got up early this morning and was at the gym by 7:30. The pool is very quiet on Sunday morning. I swam for 1:15 and did a mile. I kept losing count of my laps, so I may have done even more laps than I thought.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Groans. My vet was in pool Saturday (don't ask). Totally messed up swim by proving I could swim as fast as him ( which I can for short periods). Only problem was being too worn out to do the full time I intended. Was hoping for 0-80 lengths but gave up at 50.

I know I know entirely my own fault!
  • spring913
    buniphuphu wrote: »
    I got up early this morning and was at the gym by 7:30. The pool is very quiet on Sunday morning. I swam for 1:15 and did a mile. I kept losing count of my laps, so I may have done even more laps than I thought.

Ugh, I hate when I loose track of laps.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Groans. My vet was in pool Saturday (don't ask). Totally messed up swim by proving I could swim as fast as him ( which I can for short periods). Only problem was being too worn out to do the full time I intended. Was hoping for 0-80 lengths but gave up at 50.

I know I know entirely my own fault!

Got a little competitive, did we? Hahahahah :bigsmile:
  • spring913
    I love the pool in the summer, there was literally 4 of us there. lol Had a great swim tonight. I hit a kilometer in under 40 mins, all done in 50m increments, which is great for me! I felt strong in the water tonight. Unfortunately, on my 44th length my calf cramped up and I couldn't keep going :neutral: I tried to stretch it out, but couldn't. Ugh.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    spring913 wrote: »
    I love the pool in the summer, there was literally 4 of us there. lol Had a great swim tonight. I hit a kilometer in under 40 mins, all done in 50m increments, which is great for me! I felt strong in the water tonight. Unfortunately, on my 44th length my calf cramped up and I couldn't keep going :neutral: I tried to stretch it out, but couldn't. Ugh.

I have a strange question - do you mean there's fewer people in the pool in the summer?
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Grins most people I don't mind. Some yea, I get real competitive.
  • spring913
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I have a strange question - do you mean there's fewer people in the pool in the summer?

Yep! I live in Ontario. Winters call for indoor activities, when the weather turns nice everyone is dying to get outside so no one goes to the indoor pool. The outdoor pool in my town opens this weekend, I'll be there instead of driving to the indoor pool in the next town. Gotta take advantage of the nice weather while we have it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited July 2016

Yep! I live in Ontario. Winters call for indoor activities, when the weather turns nice everyone is dying to get outside so no one goes to the indoor pool. The outdoor pool in my town opens this weekend, I'll be there instead of driving to the indoor pool in the next town. Gotta take advantage of the nice weather while we have it.

Omg. When I think of downright frigid weather, my imagination only goes as far as Minnesota or Wisconsin. :D. So glad the weekend's coming and the pool will be a bit closer for you! Mine's about five minutes away but I'm not sure how the number of swimmers change through the seasons. I try not to go after work though. The instructor recommended against the 5-7 pm timeframe because there were just so many people in the pool! Still haven't seen it first hand. Being such a poor swimmer, I definitely wouldn't be able to share a lane properly or anything so I need a lot of space to myself :)
  • spring913

Omg. When I think of downright frigid weather, my imagination only goes as far as Minnesota or Wisconsin. :D. So glad the weekend's coming and the pool will be a bit closer for you! Mine's about five minutes away but I'm not sure how the number of swimmers change through the seasons. I try not to go after work though. The instructor recommended against the 5-7 pm timeframe because there were just so many people in the pool! Still haven't seen it first hand. Being such a poor swimmer, I definitely wouldn't be able to share a lane properly or anything so I need a lot of space to myself :)

:smile: Technically parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin are farther north than I am so you're imagination is right! lol My pools have limited lane swim times. Every morning for an hour and only twice a week in the evening, which is the only time I can go. So, it can get a little busy. I've been lucky and have only had to share a lane with a stranger once. I didn't last long, I found it uncomfortable. But I hope I can get to that point. You will too! Just imagine how much stronger we'll be in the pool 6 months from now!! Today will be a distant memory :smiley:
  • MelodyandBarbells

:smile: Technically parts of Minnesota and Wisconsin are farther north than I am so you're imagination is right! lol My pools have limited lane swim times. Every morning for an hour and only twice a week in the evening, which is the only time I can go. So, it can get a little busy. I've been lucky and have only had to share a lane with a stranger once. I didn't last long, I found it uncomfortable. But I hope I can get to that point. You will too! Just imagine how much stronger we'll be in the pool 6 months from now!! Today will be a distant memory :smiley:

From your lips to God's ears! And with that inspirational post from you I best get off my lazy butt and get off to work - albeit late...
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes! swimming each morning is hard but worth it for less traffic and free breakfast! and the fitness yada yada.

I lost my 'fastest in the pool' crown this morning though. New lady who is a triathlete, came in and smoked everyone! so cool to watch!

I shall have to up my speed training! hehe
  • wadewski
    wadewski Posts: 1 Member
    Yup. 2k

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    yep a mile. Was only going to do 1km as knee was playing up yesterday -but it was fine, the pool was lovely and cool and I just kept swimming :wink: