Celebrate the little victories!

Options
Wakey618
Wakey618 Posts: 160 Member
I know we have a "share your success" type thread, but that is more of a big picture kind of thing. What I am learning to do is to celebrate all of my little victories, and thought that others could benefit from doing the same thing. I know that I am very good at kicking myself for my boo-boos, so why not hug myself for the good things? :) I am going to start adding these good little things here in this thread and hope that you'll share some of yours ;)

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I recommend Lily's brand chocolate, if you can find it. It's very low net carb (like 4g net for half a bar), and made entirely with artificial sweeteners - no sugar. I find a couple squares more satisfying than dark chocolate when things like Hershey's kisses start looking tempting (not often).

• Wakey618
    Options
    I recommend Lily's brand chocolate, if you can find it. It's very low net carb (like 4g net for half a bar), and made entirely with artificial sweeteners - no sugar. I find a couple squares more satisfying than dark chocolate when things like Hershey's kisses start looking tempting (not often).

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I get migraines from artificial sweeteners. I've concocted a chocolate "candy" recipe I can make at home with Stevia, unsweetened cocoa, and coconut oil. It's not super-duper, but it's chocolate ;)
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wakey618 wrote: »
    Yesterday afternoon I gave in an ate a cookie. Then I had 2 more. I was at the top of the slippery slope and felt myself giving way to more bad choices. Here are the victories:
    • I went and grabbed a handful of Hershey kisses from someone's candy bowl, and came back to my desk to eat them. Then I decided to put them in a different candy bowl away from me so I wouldn't eat them. Then I went back 1/2 hr. later and took them all back. I gleefully opened & ate 2 of them and then threw the rest away in my garbage, shaking it to be sure they fell to the bottom and I wouldn't dig them out!!
    • I worked late and felt I "deserved" some M&Ms, so hit another candy bowl & got myself a handful of plain M&Ms. It was so exciting and I looked forward to the taste & feel of them in my mouth. I put a handful in my mouth and immediately felt disgusted with my lack of willpower, so tossed the remaining M&Ms in the garbage and shook them down. Then I did the most amazing thing: I spit out the M&Ms I'd begun chewing!!! (gross, I know). I realized that if I swallowed them I might remember how good they really are and go back for more. So I took that experience away from myself by spitting them out ;) (Yes, I am a bit odd but I'm guessing there may be a few others out there like me :p )

It sounds like you work in a minefield of candy bowls! Just navigating through there daily without going totally off the rails would be a victory!

My little victory is that I'm starting to feel comfortable telling people how I eat if they ask or if I am offering a reason that I am declining thus and so. I used to keep it to myself, because for some reason, people LOVE to judge how other people eat. I've decided I am a grown woman now, and I'm done caring what other people think about how I eat. (It's taken me 37 years to get to this level of comfort). Most people tend to be supportive & non-judgemental, maybe especially now that the weight I've lost so far is starting to be noticeable.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Yesterday afternoon I gave in an ate a cookie. Then I had 2 more. I was at the top of the slippery slope and felt myself giving way to more bad choices. Here are the victories:
    • I went and grabbed a handful of Hershey kisses from someone's candy bowl, and came back to my desk to eat them. Then I decided to put them in a different candy bowl away from me so I wouldn't eat them. Then I went back 1/2 hr. later and took them all back. I gleefully opened & ate 2 of them and then threw the rest away in my garbage, shaking it to be sure they fell to the bottom and I wouldn't dig them out!!
    • I worked late and felt I "deserved" some M&Ms, so hit another candy bowl & got myself a handful of plain M&Ms. It was so exciting and I looked forward to the taste & feel of them in my mouth. I put a handful in my mouth and immediately felt disgusted with my lack of willpower, so tossed the remaining M&Ms in the garbage and shook them down. Then I did the most amazing thing: I spit out the M&Ms I'd begun chewing!!! (gross, I know). I realized that if I swallowed them I might remember how good they really are and go back for more. So I took that experience away from myself by spitting them out ;) (Yes, I am a bit odd but I'm guessing there may be a few others out there like me :p )

It sounds like you work in a minefield of candy bowls! Just navigating through there daily without going totally off the rails would be a victory!

My little victory is that I'm starting to feel comfortable telling people how I eat if they ask or if I am offering a reason that I am declining thus and so. I used to keep it to myself, because for some reason, people LOVE to judge how other people eat. I've decided I am a grown woman now, and I'm done caring what other people think about how I eat. (It's taken me 37 years to get to this level of comfort). Most people tend to be supportive & non-judgemental, maybe especially now that the weight I've lost so far is starting to be noticeable.

That's great! I am still working on this myself - you can only decline the office donuts a certain number of times before people start looking at you. For now, I have opted to tell my colleagues that I don't want to eat donuts and I'm trying to stay away from flour and sugar.

...it works until they try to offer you popcorn. Another thing I can't/won't have lol
  • MandiCole1
    MandiCole1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been successfully sticking with keto for 5 days. Thats a stretch for me, because I usually wimp out before I hit ketosis. I'm glad I didn't this time, and I seemed to reach ketosis quite easily (minus a bad night of leg cramps from not drinking enough water!). I feel great and haven't craved too much junk.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I get migraines from artificial sweeteners. I've concocted a chocolate "candy" recipe I can make at home with Stevia, unsweetened cocoa, and coconut oil. It's not super-duper, but it's chocolate ;)

All artificial sweeteners? I don't like aspartame for the same reason, and sucralose sucks too. This is erythitol.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

All artificial sweeteners? I don't like aspartame for the same reason, and sucralose sucks too. This is erythitol.

Isn't it Lilly's that makes chocolate bars with stevia?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Small victory for me this am, I wasn't hungry, I wanted a bagel breakfast sandwich, but I wasn't hungry. I did not get one. I'm certain those are one of my biggest weaknesses and they start my day off poorly which leads to wicked carb cravings all day. I had one yesterday but today I WAS NOT HUNGRY. So there was really no need for one.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

Isn't it Lilly's that makes chocolate bars with stevia?

I've seen a couple with stevia, but most are totally erythitol, which has a similar low-GI impact for me!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yeah they say erythritol is good but thought for those that can't handle artificial stuff. I'm pretty sure they have stevia ones
  • Wakey618
    Options
    Wearing my next size down pants to work today and not feeling like they are going to explode off of my body because they are so tight. =)

This is soooooo awesome, I couldn't simply click the awesome button!
  • Wakey618
    Options

I didn't realize that erythitol was a natural sweetener; I've only seen in in Atkins things and thought that "sugar alcohol" was another version of artificial sweetener. Thanks - I now have more things to consider eating!