2»

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kelley0519 wrote: »
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    My solution for when I need extra salt (or a quick snack). One cup, one packet, just add boiling water. :)
    znxyrzhx22vj.png
    There are many brands and varieties, white miso is sweeter and milder, brown or red misos are heartier and more of an acquired taste. I always go for organic because the ingredients of regular miso are full or junk. If you learn how to make the soup at home (very easy) you can buy the paste and that makes it much cheaper than the instant variety.
    https://clearspring.co.uk/collections/traditional-japanese-miso/products/organic-japanese-barley-miso-paste-unpasteurised

::flowerforyou::

Can this typically be found in any grocery store?

Organic stores either have it or can get it for you easily. This brand can be bought from the link I posted.

Edited to add that Asian stores usually have it but check the ingredients list very carefully, I've seen unbelievable garbage in regular brands. Japanese organic is usually very good, this is a staple of Japanese cuisine and as long as it is made the traditional way it is very nourishing.

• Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @kelley0519 ..no I have not felt any warmer.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Kelley0519 wrote: »
    My solution for when I need extra salt (or a quick snack). One cup, one packet, just add boiling water. :)
    znxyrzhx22vj.png
    There are many brands and varieties, white miso is sweeter and milder, brown or red misos are heartier and more of an acquired taste. I always go for organic because the ingredients of regular miso are full or junk. If you learn how to make the soup at home (very easy) you can buy the paste and that makes it much cheaper than the instant variety.
    https://clearspring.co.uk/collections/traditional-japanese-miso/products/organic-japanese-barley-miso-paste-unpasteurised

Can this typically be found in any grocery store?

Organic stores either have it or can get it for you easily. This brand can be bought from the link I posted.

Edited to add that Asian stores usually have it but check the ingredients list very carefully, I've seen unbelievable garbage in regular brands. Japanese organic is usually very good, this is a staple of Japanese cuisine and as long as it is made the traditional way it is very nourishing.

thank you!
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    @kelley0519 ..no I have not felt any warmer.

Ok, I'm going to try it out tonight and see how I feel afterwards. Thanks!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Pickles, pickle juice, salt your food or drink heavily, dissolve a couple of bullion cubes in the appropriate amount of water and drink that broth 1-2 times a day, etc.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Pickles, pickle juice, salt your food or drink heavily, dissolve a couple of bullion cubes in the appropriate amount of water and drink that broth 1-2 times a day, etc.

Awesome, thank you for your help!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    My main symptom is coldness. I keep my electrolytes up easily and am more active than I used to be. I am almost always bone chilled cold, even on a 70 degree plus day.

I used to be like this when doing high carb dieting. Cold to the bones, no matter season or temperature.

If I get cold nowadays I chug down some pickle juice (as already suggested above) or chug down some salt with cold water as chaser. Within a few minutes the body heats up. You can also do something physical like a couple of squats. But it won't alleviate the problem...an electrolyte imbalance. Hope it helps.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @foamroller. I thought I was getting enough electrolytes , but I will try your suggestion. Ate supper and am feeling warmer for the first time today. Pasta sauce with zucchini and onion, an Italian sausage and 1/2 c of high protein pasta. Did have a pickle and some of the pickle juice a few hours ago along with an ounce of ham. We'll see what happens tomorrow with increasing sodium and potassium. Thanks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Also, for the cold, make sure you're eating enough, and enough saturated fat and protein. I've noticed my body feels colder if I'm fasting for a long time and haven't eaten in 12+ hours. Once I've eaten, my body warms back up.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the taste of salt, so I use salt tablets to be sure I get enough. It is something that must be continued if you experience leg cramps, insomnia, headaches, fatigue.....continually. Some are able to get passed the need, but I haven't!