stages 2 & 4

Options

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I started stage 2 last night and I had to take a step back in almost everything.

I had to use the women's Olympic bar (empty) for the FSPP because I just can't lift heavy over my head.
    And I finished Stage 1 using 14kg dumbbells for lunges...last night I had to drop to 7kg because I kept losing my balance and the static lunges are soooo much harder.

Everything else went well, even the Planks, so I was happy with that.

I think this workout is all about balance and working the core so I don't think I'll be too disappointed not to have massive gains in the weights as long as by the end I can do everything correctly with proper form!
  • anncan37
    anncan37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Workout A in Stage 2 - not so much in love with B.. I've had knee issues off and on over the course of the last year, brought on by running. Midway through training for a half marathon that I completed in October, I had to change my training to "race walking". I made the mistake in Stage 1 to introduce HIIT as running on the treadmill (my knee was fine, and I was on the treadmill, not pounding on pavement) - big mistake!

Anyhoo, all of these various lunges (elevated) in Workout B are brutal on the knee, so I'm doing static lunges in lieu. Squats, deadlifts, static lunges do not hurt the knee for some reason...I'm hoping I'm not curtailing my gains too much by substituting.

the cuban snatch is hard!!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 2 tonight. I am comfortable with Workout A, but B looks a little scary.
  • anncan37
    Options
    Workout B is not my favourite (except the underhand lat pulldown - love that!) - let us know how it goes!
  • lawlorka
    Options
    I did my first Workout B yesterday and at the time I didn't enjoy it at all... but man am I feeling it today so I think I'll have a more positive miindset about it next time.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Workout A was fantastic!! I sweated like a mad woman... much more than I ever did in stage 1. I think I am confused for the interval training part of workout B. Is it 2 min. warm up 1 moderate, 2 min. cool down, 1 minute hard, 2 min. cool, 1 min. intense, 5 minute cool down? does that sound right. I can do this on an ARC, Tread, Elliptical, stationary bike, stair master, running, jump rope, or any other thing I choose?
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    OK so I re-read Stage 2 chapter, and got the interval session now. Doing 2B workout 1 tonight!
  • lawlorka
    Options
    I'm really not enjoying Stage 2 at all :( I like the squats/deadlifts but pretty much hate everything else... Lunges are the work of the devil!!!

So here's what I got to yesterday

FSPP (2 x 10 x 20kg)
    Step Ups (1 x 10 x 14kg, 1 x 5 x 14kg)
    DB 1pt Row (2 x 10 x 8kg)
    Static Lunge (2 x 10 x 8kg)
    Push Ups (2 x 10 x 30degrees) Form is really improving
    Planks (2 x 60s)
    Cable Horiz Chop (2 x 10 x 10kg)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Did 2B last night, and not my fav. I do love workout A, but B is a little confusing. I think now that I ran through it once, it will be better next time. For now not my fav at all!
  • anncan37
    Options
    I've only done A this week, not feeling great. I'll be doing B tomorrow...not looking forward to it. I'm glad that this stage is short!

I can feel muscles developing - calves, biceps...quads are stronger, but I am feeling a little depressed that the scale has not moved! and I know I shouldn't - inches are what count. Not seeing drastic movement there either...used to be, in my 20's/earlier 30s, I just needed to clean up the diet a bit and move a bit more and my body would respond immediately. Not so much on the "eve" of 40! I have to figure out the calorie bit as well.

Are any of you seeing fat/inches melt off? Are you doing anything else to supplement nrol4w?
  • lawlorka
    Options
    I've lost a few pounds since starting and inches are flying off, I've dropped a jean size and top size. I do cardio on the days I'm not lifting. 30mins of Intervals on the Treadmill and usually 20mins of Hills on the Stationary Bike.

I did Stage 2, A3 today - finally back on the Olympic bar with my squats!!!

FSPP - 2 X 10 X 25kg
    Step Ups - 2 x 10 x 12kg/db
    DB 1pt Row - 2 x 10 x 9kg/db
    Static Lunge - 2 x 10 x 9kg/db
    Press Ups - 1 x 10 (30deg) 1 x 5 (military)
    Planks - 2 x 60s
    (No woodchop as gym at work has no cable machine)

I have B3 on Thursday but then thats it until the 29th December as I'm out of the country from Friday onwards so no access to the gym. I'll finish off Stage 2 when I get back.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Two more workout in Stage 2. I only could complete two workout a week for the last two weeks, so a little slower than I'd like. The holidays cut into my extra time, because we hosted the holiday for the first time, but at least I managed two per week. Now it is over, and kicking back into high gear! Starting my research for Stage 3!
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    oh. my. god. did workout A on stage 2 for the 1st time 2 days ago after a 2 week break...DOMS are almost unbearable! feel bad that i can't go to the gym today as it is closed for new year for 3 days :( damn muscle soreness!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well first workout A is done. I dropped my weight down to where I was when I first started last year to get the form down right. Here are my starting stats:

FSPP: 45 lbs (bar)
    One-point Row: 5 lbs (I dropped this to focus on form and balance)
    Step-ups: 15lbs
    Static Lunge, Rear Foot Elevated: BW
    Push-ups: Feet raised
    Planks: 60 sec
    Cable Horizontal Chops: 30 lbs

ETA:
    A lot of people mention that their wrists hurt when doing FSPP. This happened to me the first time around through this workout. But, today I guess everything finally clicked and was able to get my wrists back like in the book. I found that I was putting too much weight on my hands and arms when going into that position last year when I was doing it, so bar position was wrong. I adjusted it so that the bar sat on my shoulders and slightly up against my neck, no pain! Yay!
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am almost done with stage 1 and had a question about stage 2 before I start it.

How long (on average) does it take you to complete these workouts? I have been going on my lunch break to work out, and wanted to know if I could legitimately fit the workouts into that time period. I have an hour lunch, but It takes me 10 or so mins to get to the gym and get ready. So, I have max 35 mins to work out.

Is it possible? or am I going to have to start waking up at the crack of dawn to work out before work?

Thanks in advance.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have just finished stage 2 and I found it took me a lot longer to finish. I usually have 40-50 min first thing in the morning so I found I was rushing the rest between exercises. Right at the end I started getting up 10 min earlier - this morning workout B took me 56 minutes.

FWIW :laugh:
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Finally did St 2 A1 and B1, I was intimidated because it's new moves and longer workouts but I did it and boy am I sore!!
    I'm liking it though!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Done with stage 2...here are my final stats:

FSPP: 45 lbs (bar) => 55 lbs
    One-point Row: 5 lbs (I dropped this to focus on form and balance) => 8 lbs
    Step-ups: 15lbs => No Change
    Static Lunge, Rear Foot Elevated: BW => BW+8 lb dumbbells
    Push-ups: Feet raised => No change
    Planks: 60 sec => 70 sec
    Cable Horizontal Chops: 30 lbs => 35 lbs
    Wide-grip Deadlift from Box: 100 lbs => No change
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 6lb medicine ball => 10 lb plate
    Under-hand Grip Lat-Pulldown: 80 lbs => No change
    Reverse Lunge from Box: 5 lb dumbbells => no change
    Dumbbell Prone Cobra Snatch: 5 lbs => No chage
    Swiss ball Crunch: 10 reps no weights => No change
    Reverse Crunch: 10 reps => No change
    Swiss ball side crunches: 10 reps => No Change
    Prone Cobra: 60 sec => 70 sec

Off to stage 3 next week!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 2 tonight. I am comfortable with Workout A, but B looks a little scary.

I am a few weeks away from starting Stage 2 and I had the same reaction when reviewing it this morning.....Nervous!!
  • salsacatblue
    Options
    Done with Stage 2!
    Here is the stats.
    FSPP: 45 lbs (bar) => 50 lbs
    this one took most practice to get it right. stil not sure if I did it right though. I wasn't sure after rasing the bar to the top and bring it down to the shoulder if I was supposed to have my upper arm perpendicular to the floor. but that would seem unnatural and unnecessary move so i didn't. I wish tthere was a video for this move.
    One-point Row: 15 lbs no change.
    It was really hard to meintain balance.
    Step-ups: 20lbs dumbell x 2 => No Change
    Static Lunge, Rear Foot Elevated: 20lb dumbel x2 no change
    Push-ups: from floor => feet elevated on step + one riser
    Swiss Ball Planks: 45 sec => no change
    Cable Horizontal Chops: 12.5lbs => 25 lbs
    Wide-grip Deadlift from Box: 75 lbs => No change
    This one gave a little back ache after doing this move.
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 10lb dumbell => 25 lb plate
    Under-hand Grip Lat-Pulldown: 50 lbs => 75ib
    Reverse Lunge from Box: 5 lb dumbbells => 10 lb
    Dumbbell Prone Cobra Snatch: 5 lbs => 7.5 lb
    Swiss ball Crunch: 10 reps wth 10lb plate => 10 rep with 20 lb plate
    Reverse Crunch: 10 reps => No change
    hanna side flexion: 10 reps => hanna side flexion 3 10 reps
    Hanna side flexion didn't feel like much of a work out. I think I should have done swiss ball side crunch.
    Prone Cobra: 60 sec => 90 sec
    I did HIIT with eliptical machine instead of bike machine.