Training for a half marathon in September, and all around fitness.

pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
So, so far, after my first two 5 K's (May 15 -29:09 & May 30 -28:28) I've entered another 5 K in July, a 4 Miler in August and a Half Marathon in September.

My training routine is (more or less) Monday 5 miles @ a 10:20 mile pace;
Tuesday, Cross training, a Fitness Blender routine focusing on lower body (35 to 45 minutes);
Wednesday, 5 miles @ 10:20;
Thursday, a Fitness Blender routine focusing on the upper body (35 to 45 minutes):
Friday, a round of Golf walking the course, pulling my clubs, and/or Cross training, Fitness Blender core exercises (35 to 45 minutes), and/or a 5K run approaching 9:00 miles; and
Saturday; long run at 11 minutes per mile, this past Saturday did 7.84 @ an 11:23 average mile pace. Saturday runs are scheduled to increase to 12 miles hoping to maintain/get to that 11 minute mile pace.

Never did a Half Marathon before, never trained for one before, want to be in well rounded shape during this endeavor.

How far off am I for being ready for September 25th and that Half?

Replies

• pondee629
    Got my first 10 mile training run in today. 1:57 for the 10, including the 5 minute warm up walk. Never have gone that far before. Still looking at that Half in September. Hoping for 2:30. ;-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    for an idea of where you are, and where you need to get to, go to mcmillanrunning.com and punch your 5 mile time and your desired HM time. It will give you info on relative race times for a bunch of distances as well as training paces to get where you want to be. I use the McMillan calculator and Greg McMillan's book for my training.

You're doing great, and you are WAY ahead of where you need to be for running a HM in September!
  • pondee629
    Thanks. Should I do training runs of 13.1 before the race or cap them at 11/12 per most programs I've seen? I have always trained at a longer distance ( running five mile runs to train for a 5K) but going that long is daunting

I'll be posting updates on my training sporadically. Read them as you will ;-)
  • MNLittleFinn
    I capped mine at 12.5 miles, mostly because ten when I run my first HM it will be a PR and there's no feeling dissapointed at the result. You don't really need to run longer than 13.1 for your first HM. The goal is to get to the race and stay healthy. For my second HM, in September, I'm planning on having some runs in the 14-16 mile range hopefully.
  • pondee629
    I like the idea of being able to post a PB on the first race. Thanks. Capping at circa 12.5 it is.
  • pondee629
    Repeated the ten mile long run Saturday, 7/2. 10.11 miles in 1:55:11 a pace of 11:23/mile. Running at that pace is a little like drinking beer one shot a minute. Easy at first...then...not so much ;- )
  • MNLittleFinn
    Great running. you're well on track for beating a 2:30 HM in September. Your HM will be the day after my September HM, we'll both have some stories to tell then!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @pondee629 You're doing a great job with your HM training plan!

I did my first HM on June 26. It wasn't a race, I just did it because I felt I could. My Strava time was 2:15:17.

My training sounds similar to yours:

2 x 10 km runs, one long run, and one fast 5 km per week.
    On the days I don't run, I walk at least 18,000 steps.
    On Fridays I do Body Balance (combination of yoga, Pilates and tai chi, plus core/planking exercises).
    Plus a few planks and some upper body exercises throughout the week.

I'm planning on doing the Beat the Blerch virtual HM on September 18, so that's another of us doing a HM in September!

Congrats to @MNLittleFinn on his great first half! Tagging him in case pondee629 hasn't heard about his race.
  • pondee629
    OK, because of my niece's wedding two Saturdays ago and a scheduled 5K last Saturday, I've missed my last two long runs. And, because of the heat in Northern NJ I've been doing more CT training lifting, body weight exercises and cardio with FitnessBender in my basement (moderately cooler). BUT I really don't think that yesterdays 6 mile training run should have been that hard. All was well up to the 4 mile mark, long slow pace at 11:30ish per mile, when either the heat, or the aforesaid lack of long runs, hit me. Finished the 6 miles at a 12:13 mile pace. This won't cut it. Hoping it was just the heat, slacking on training, as said before, let down from the 5 K, or just a bad day. Or a combination of all.

Back on schedule, weather be damned. Talk again after Saturdays 10 mile run ;-) 6 miles yesterday, 5 miles Wednesday (tempo run), 3 miles easy Friday (hopefully after a round of golf) then 10 miles LSD Saturday morning.
  • MNLittleFinn
    I have a feeling you'll be surprised at how easily you get back into the schedule of things. You're doing great!
  • pondee629
    OK I got my 5 miles in on Wednesday but it was just too hot to run out side Friday. 97* with 85+% humidity is just too hot. SO, Retro Fitness has Treadmills and I got my 3 miles in there. Boring but survivable. Saturday morning, early, I plan on getting a 10 mile run in before the oven gets turned on. I figured that $20 a month is cheaper than buying a treadmill or Elliptical. Even the $500 Schwinn seemed "cheap" and I could not justify spending $1500+ for a "good" one. That's 6+ years @ $20/month.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Good plan! You're really doing great gearing up for that HM
  • pondee629
    Got my 10 miles in today before it got TOO hot. Coach wanted me to hold a 12 minute mile pace. Something about training me to burn fat instead of sugar: lactate (I think). Put the 10 miles in at a 12:03 average pace. There were two hills each way on an out and back. Felt good save for that final hill that, although I did it, was uncomfortable. Could have gone on if I had to.

Re:that gym membership. Just can't run in 90* heat and at $20 a month it would take 75 months to break even on buying a good elliptical. Plus they are HUGE ;-). Can also use the membership to train in other less than good weather.

So, my 10 mile time has slowed but I guess I've gotten a better training experience out of it. Need to shave 30 seconds a mile by September 25.

See ya next week.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Don't worry about the time on the run. My long run times are all over the map. Key is to get the miles in so you're ready come race time. You're doing awesome so keep it up.

As far as gym memberships...I'm looking at getting one too....the -20F it can be in the mornings in winter make running less pleasant.
  • pondee629
    Yeah, it was the upcoming winter that had me looking at ellipticals. Used one at the hotel when attending my niece's wedding and thought it would be a better buy than a treadmill. However, testing out the more affordable ones at Amazon's showcase (Dick's and Sears) led to the decision that the only ones worth while were at least $1500 (and they're huge) That's a lot of $20 months using the gyms equipment. Wife is happy over the non-expenditure. Now that it's 90+... Coach says she wants me using "fuel" on my runs to see how they effect me. Any ideas? I've never used such a thing in my life.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Yeah, it was the upcoming winter that had me looking at ellipticals. Used one at the hotel when attending my niece's wedding and thought it would be a better buy than a treadmill. However, testing out the more affordable ones at Amazon's showcase (Dick's and Sears) led to the decision that the only ones worth while were at least $1500 (and they're huge) That's a lot of $20 months using the gyms equipment. Wife is happy over the non-expenditure. Now that it's 90+... Coach says she wants me using "fuel" on my runs to see how they effect me. Any ideas? I've never used such a thing in my life.

Your best bet is to try a few different ones on your runs to find one that suits you. I have a HM in September as well, and i'm currently testing the Hammer Gel, Clif blox & Gel and Gu gel (I want to try the Gu blocks, but I think the packaging will be a PITA when running). Some people are fine if they just stick to whatever gatorade/powerade style drink is on the course; find out what your race provides, and test it to make sure it has no adverse effects.

Also caffeine: if caffeine gives you (excuse the TMI) 'boosted digestion', try to stay away from the fuel that has it, or you'll have trouble trusting that fart half way through the race.

Something with a mix of fuel (something with a mix of sucrose & fructose in it's carb content for quicker absorption) and electrolytes to replenish the salts in your body from sweating. I don't really care if they have amino acids in them, as they wont do much for you during the race itself.
  • MNLittleFinn
    I'm loving honey stingers for fuel. I've found that, for me, the increased HR (too high) from caffeine outweighs the benefits.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    I'm loving honey stingers for fuel. I've found that, for me, the increased HR (too high) from caffeine outweighs the benefits.

I've heard a few people say good things about those; but they're hard to get in Aus, and when you can they're stupidly expensive for what they are (then again, the Clif blox are $6 a packet here anyway).
  • pondee629
    Now all I need is a convenient place to buy individual packets to test. Everyone seems h3ll bent on selling packs of 24. GNC near work has GU but only in salted Caramel and strawberry banana. Tried the caramel with no ill effects. Hard to tell if there were any positive effects though. Strawberry banana today. Honey Stingers, huh?
  • MNLittleFinn
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Now all I need is a convenient place to buy individual packets to test. Everyone seems h3ll bent on selling packs of 24. GNC near work has GU but only in salted Caramel and strawberry banana. Tried the caramel with no ill effects. Hard to tell if there were any positive effects though. Strawberry banana today. Honey Stingers, huh?

The running stores I go to sell GU and honey stingers individually. I got one of those multi-packs of Honey Stingers off Amazon, it had like 2 each of four different gels. It was nice to be able to try them before deciding on what to get in a big pack.

This is the variety I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Stinger-Organic-Energy-Gel/dp/B00OCZM2KU/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469622974&sr=8-10&keywords=honey+stinger