Thoughts on dairy

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    madkcole wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Been doing LCHF since late March. Lost 10 pounds in that time. Happy about that but I'm getting a little frustrated about my progress. Loss seems to have stalled for the last month. A friend who has had great success with Keto suggested that too much dairy may be the culprit. I've been doing a little research on the topic and some sites say dairy can and usually does stall or slow down weight loss on LCHF and others say it's a myth. The only dairy I currently consume is Greek yogurt (full fat), HWC, and cheese (cream cheese, cheddar). Thinking of pulling back on the cheese but not too jazzed about cutting back on the HWC and yogurt. Just wondering if anyone out here has faced this problem and how they overcame it. Looking forward to any and all suggestions.

@madkcole I cut out cheese without realizing a few months ago and cut back on some other fats and now am trying dairy free and eating more carb based whole foods that is knocking me out of full time ketosis and have dropped another 10 pounds after maintaining at 200 pounds for the last year eating 2500 calories of LCHF daily.

Haylie Pomroy makes a good point I thought in her book The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight about eating fats. As some point she thinks we need to have low fat days where we burn our own stored fats. In short it is 2 days High Carb, 2 days of High Protein and 3 days of Low Carb High Fat to be repeated as often as needed to speed up one's metabolism and lose. It is a no calorie counting way of eating for better health.

Eating her way means no sugar, wheat or processed food which is almost LC by default. The key is to boost metabolism by the way one eats and eat more not less to lose weight.

The book is not loaded up with medical terms and research and is the only book I would recommend to someone new at eating for better health that was not a science geek. Off Amazon it was $6 and $4 for shipping from a UK book seller. Only half of it is explaining the diet with the rest being plans and recipes. Read the longer Amazon reviews before ordering it because some review the book in detail.

After dropping from 250 to 200 and maintaining it for one year on LCHF I am read to work my way down to 175. The heat of summer helps me cut back on fats naturally all of my life.

• hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Haylie Pomroy makes a good point I thought in her book The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight about eating fats. As some point she thinks we need to have low fat days where we burn our own stored fats. In short it is 2 days High Carb, 2 days of High Protein and 3 days of Low Carb High Fat to be repeated as often as needed to speed up one's metabolism and lose. It is a no calorie counting way of eating for better health.

Recently I have been eating more carbs (mainly veggies) because of having company over. I have been cycling the same 5 pounds forthe past 2 months or so. Since increasing the carbs, the scale seem to be moving downward again. I am going have to ponder Pomroy's way of eating. I have ordered the book on Amazon. Going to experiment a little and see how this go.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've heard that upping your carbs for one day a week can help with a stall.
    I am currently relying heavily on dairy to get me through the first couple of weeks, but after that, I plan on cutting it out. I know I have a dairy issue.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    I am currently relying heavily on dairy to get me through the first couple of weeks, but after that, I plan on cutting it out. I know I have a dairy issue.

@Cryren8972 give it as long as it takes to master ketosis even if it takes 90-180 days. Mastering ketosis for over a year that solved many long term health issues that THEN helped enable weight loss was important in my case. Had cutting out the sugar and all grains not fixed my health issues I am not sure my weight loss would have been as easy. Eating 2500 calories daily for a year and maintaining at 200 was important because I never lost 50 pounds before without regaining it in the next 12 months.

Your way of eating is about YOU and only YOU so do not rush to copy what others are doing. In time your body should start talking to your brain about what to eat so it will become more automated as it should be for us all.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

@Cryren8972 give it as long as it takes to master ketosis even if it takes 90-180 days. Mastering ketosis for over a year that solved many long term health issues that THEN helped enable weight loss was important in my case. Had cutting out the sugar and all grains not fixed my health issues I am not sure my weight loss would have been as easy. Eating 2500 calories daily for a year and maintaining at 200 was important because I never lost 50 pounds before without regaining it in the next 12 months.

Your way of eating is about YOU and only YOU so do not rush to copy what others are doing. In time your body should start talking to your brain about what to eat so it will become more automated as it should be for us all.

I actually have lactose intolerance. So even though I LOVE dairy, dairy doesn't love me. LOL!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

I actually have lactose intolerance. So even though I LOVE dairy, dairy doesn't love me. LOL!

It causes me to wake up with my throat and head congested but no GI tract issues after eating LCHF for six months and then my 40 years of IBS fully resolving.