Lunch prep ideas.

Replies

• likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    I usually cook something in the crock pot every Sunday and make so much that I have leftovers all week. I will sometimes cook one or two other quick meals on Sunday, so I have a variety of leftovers to choose from all week.

Do you have any good crock pot recipes to share?

• debbieinca
    debbieinca Posts: 110 Member
    I make mason jar salads and they last all week long.
  • BellaRoseBee
    BellaRoseBee Posts: 2 Member
    rccsinger wrote: »
    -Chickpeas (from the can, I like Goya because the calorie content is lower)
    -Lemon
    -Tomato

I dump a whole can of chickpeas in a Tupperware container, chop up a tomato, and squeeze a whole lemon on it! I season with season salt or garlic salt. This is like the easiest and yummy lunch ever!

It sounds really weird but the lemon really pulls out the flavor! <3

Sounds good to me!

....I think i'm going to go out and get some chickpeas tomorrow & give this a try
  • raw_key
    raw_key Posts: 36 Member
    I've seen mason jar salad and "bowl" recipes on Pinterest that are easy. And depending on where you're at (I'm in California) with the weather getting colder, a large batch of soup portioned out into mason jars helps too. You can freeze the soup in the jars but make sure you leave enough room for the liquid to expand.
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    I usually cook something in the crock pot every Sunday and make so much that I have leftovers all week. I will sometimes cook one or two other quick meals on Sunday, so I have a variety of leftovers to choose from all week.

Do you have any good crock pot recipes to share?

I've tried about half of the ones I have saved here: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/Cookbooks.asp?id=1053748

The marinara chicken, chicken taco stew (with a regular can of diced tomatoes and extra salsa added instead of the diced tomatoes with chilies) and the turkey chili are my ultimate favorites so far.
  • blushenvy
    blushenvy Posts: 98 Member
    Here's a flavor rich one! One of my all time favorites.

"Honey" Chicken, Fig and Bleu Cheese (or Asiago) Salad on Baguette rounds

2 oz cooked chicken breast
    2 oz romaine, chopped (or nappa cabbage)
    1 tbls chopped onion
    1/2 oz dried fig
    1 oz chopped gala apple
    1/2 oz bleu cheese crumbles or aged asiago cheese
    1to 2 tsp sugar free imitation honey (or your sweetner of choice)
    1 tbls light mayo
    1 tbls light sour cream
    1 tbls 1/2 and 1/2 (or milk of your choice)
    1/2 tsp dried tarragon
    A little fresh ground pepper

Scoop onto 3 1" baguette slices or serve over crisp romaine leaves-whatever floats your boat!

Cal: 392
    Carb: 51
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 24
    Sodium: 591
    Sugar: 13g
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I do lettuce wraps with salmon or tuna and mayo. Rice crisp crackers. A big piece of fruit like an apple or pear (something fiber-y).

Sometimes a salad (I try to keep salads to 1x per week because I don't really like them unless they are full of cheese and creamy dressing and that uses all my calories). Taco salad works well.

Often times, lunch is leftover dinner.

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    Lately I am big on soups and stews in the slow cooker! There are a ton of ideas on the internet, Pinterest, etc. I do searches for vegetarian slow cooker soups or vegetarian soups. I try and eat vegetarian at lunch and save meats for dinner time, if possible for health reasons.

Very similar to me! I make mostly vegetarian meals throughout the day and will fish or tuna at dinner time mostly. Soups are my favorite, nothing better than a cheddar broccoli soup or tomato basil.
  • pasewaldd
    pasewaldd Posts: 24 Member
    One of my go to lunches is eggwhites with feta cheese and vegetables of choice.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Do people not find if they chop up their salad/veg and cook the chicken etc on a Sunday that by the time Friday comes round the food looks like it should be part of the compost?
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    I put all the trimmings in a mason jar to keep it away from the greens. The greens I keep in a vented container with a paper towel to absorb the moisture. I've had greens last for a week and a half and still be good that way.
  • danigirl258
    danigirl258 Posts: 12 Member
    I just made these in the crockpot yesterday: http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/ They are awesome.

The flavor is pretty mild, so it is very versatile. Yesterday I ate them as carnitas with guac, cheese, and salsa. So tasty! My boyfriend was in the mood for BBQ instead of Mexican, so he ate his with BBQ sauce and tater tots. He said it was delicious.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    Do people not find if they chop up their salad/veg and cook the chicken etc on a Sunday that by the time Friday comes round the food looks like it should be part of the compost?

I will chop and wash and then put in my salad spinner my romaine lettuce. Then I will put it all in a zip lock bag with a couple of paper towels. I have had my lettuce last about a week and a half to 2 weeks that way!

• JessicaT1299
    JessicaT1299 Posts: 11 Member
    Pinterest is a pretty good website for ideas. I just made this and froze it (everything but the noodles, which I actually omitted), have had it for lunch every day this week! :)

http://skinnypoints.com/2015/12/27/olive-garden-slow-cooker-pasta-fagioli-recipe-5-smartpoints/
  • champak045
    champak045 Posts: 12 Member
    Stop watching soap opera - and have time to play with kids ( or husband) and still have time to cut fresh veggies - every evening - DO NOT count calories - count carbs - add more good fat and protein ...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    escalada22 wrote: »

I will chop and wash and then put in my salad spinner my romaine lettuce. Then I will put it all in a zip lock bag with a couple of paper towels. I have had my lettuce last about a week and a half to 2 weeks that way!
    @escalada22
    Paper towels for the Win! I learned that tip and began storing mine that way , the greens last quite awhile as you shared!

:smiley: Glad you shared the tip so others will give it a try and have their greens last longer. In a pinch and a moment of forgetfulness, I'll buy chopped greens in the bag and then remember why I don't! :# The chemical from the pre-pkgd plastic bag seems to leach onto the veggies and gives off a nasty flavor/smell. When I get bagged carrots etc. I can't get them out of the bag fast enough when I get in the door to put in Ziploc. Yea maybe I'm a bit ocd on certain things.. :wink:

Fresh romaine is fabulous and a nice dark green and as shared, stored properly really can last nearly 2 weeks easily!

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2016
    champak045 wrote: »
    Stop watching soap opera - and have time to play with kids ( or husband) and still have time to cut fresh veggies - every evening - DO NOT count calories - count carbs - add more good fat and protein ...

I prefer NOT to stand in the kitchen and cut up veggies every night. I prefer finding a more time efficient way to have more time to do other things in my life. If I take care of all the veggies when I get back from the store it's all done for the week! What a great feeling that is.

Unsure who you directed your comments to as I don't own a TV, so no soap operas, no husband or wife, no kids.
    I do have a kitty though and love her to bits <3

I think it's good for some to count calories if it works for them, tracking carbs for others is important, adding more good fats and protein to our diets if needed is also a good plan.

My goal is to continue losing weight/adding more muscle so paying attention all my macros/micros and calories as well is what works well for me. That's why the format of MFP is working for me.

Thanks for your tips,
    Have a lovely day :smiley:@champak045

EDIT: My apologies to all for getting a bit off topic.. :#
  • debbieinca
    debbieinca Posts: 110 Member
    I belong to a great group called orgaize yourself skinny and we talk about prepping for the week. Sundays are mine I make alot of mason jar salads put togeather on Sunday and last all week. I also like skinnytaste site. I get alot of soup ideas and then dole it out and freeze half so I always have something in the freezer.
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    I do mason jar salads for lunch, too. I put it in as a recipe to make logging easy peasy. The next week, I just edit the recipe for the new week's salad. I'm not just eating better; I'm also saving a ton of money by not eating out so often.