Things you hated before lchf

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I've been trying to get back on track lately after a bit of stress and a round of steroids I let my carbs creep up to astronomical levels. I kept trying to get back to around 100 with no success so I'm on day 3 of very low carb to try to squash the craving monster. Today I was making an omelet and topped it with green chili hot sauce. I remembered how I used to think it was disgusting to put hot sauce on eggs.

Are there anything's you used to hate that you now eat frequently?

For me:

Dill pickles
Hot sauce on eggs

I haven't been able to bring myself to eat olives yet, SO insists I should and reminds me how I used to hate dill pickles too

Replies

• arkansasteriann
    arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    eggs! I never used to like them but now I enjoy them scrambled with a bit of cheese and a good dash of siracha (spell?) the make an quick and delicious lunch.

I also encourage you to try olives! the really bright green ones called castelvetrano are especially light and buttery tasting, one drawback they are a bit pricey. They are a favorite guilty pleasure of mine!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I didn't really like bell peppers. I only liked them in things like fajitas before it couldn't stand them raw. I can eat them as a scoop for guacamole or cream cheese now and think they taste sweet. I would've never thought they tasted sweet before because "sweet" to me had to be loaded with sugar to even taste it. Lol
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was not a fats person at all. The idea of extra fat bothered me. Not the taste but just the texture and the thought of it. It was work to stop trimming my meats. Now I am at the point where I pour bacon drippings into any ground meat and many other dishes too.

I was not a big avocado fan before. Now I love them.

I was pretty "meh" about macadamia nuts before. Now I could live on them.

Leafy greens.... I'm still not a big salad fan beyond once or twice a month but I've learned a lot of other ways to cook with greens so I enjoy them more (wih cheese, in casseroles, or with eggs).

I can have coffee without sugar or sweetener now.
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This is about the only thing people rave about in this forum that I didn't like before and I still can't imagine ever letting in my house let alone past my lips. It's hard to even think about it. (shudders) And, please, don't anybody tell me to just try. I physically wouldn't be able to.

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    A one plate meal. 2 or 3 plates would be about right before. :s

>:) or o:)
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bell peppers and wilted greens
    I love bell peppers now, before I only ate them if they were hidden in something and I picked them out if I saw them. I love greens, always have, but I couldn't stand them cooked. Now, I make them and they taste wonderful.

And just a strange fact; I tend to like my stir-frys a bit on the spicy side(this is new since I started this WOE)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @pamamajane I have an odd relationship with avocados. When I first started I was eating them every day, but hated them before low carb. Now I have no stomach for them unless they are guacamole on something.

@sunny_bunny_ some with the bell peppers, though I've always liked them they taste super sweet now, even after I was back doing higher carbs for a bit, my sweetness sensitivity is still really good. Now that I'm a few days back lchf I actually had to have them remake my ice coffee cuz the amount of sugar free sweetener was over powering
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As far as I was concerned no one should EVER eat the fat on meat. I hated watching someone eat it. Now, as long as it's charred and not still "fatty looking" I love it.

And butter - butter was not a condiment to be put on or in stuff. It was meant only to be melted and put on bread before it goes under the broiler. I buy more butter now in a month than I did in 6 before Keto.

Coffee - hated coffee, bitter nasty stuff. Now I love it with well, butter and coconut oil and of course HWC.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »

This is about the only thing people rave about in this forum that I didn't like before and I still can't imagine ever letting in my house let alone past my lips. It's hard to even think about it. (shudders) And, please, don't anybody tell me to just try. I physically wouldn't be able to.

Yeah, eating avocado seems just icky. I've never eaten one by itself; I have tasted guac on occasion and never liked it. I don't buy avocado, no one in my home likes it and I can't even imagine "trying" it. ewww....
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Dark chocolate

I can't even eat chocolate that isn't dark now...tastes so sweet and over powering. I've always enjoyed dark chocolate but now it's the only option.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Just realized this is two days in a row I've chosen to eat pork rinds. I can't tell for sure if I like them, but with cheese they pretty tasty
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »

I bought 1 to try... I forgot it was in the frig & it went bad.
    I think I have had Guac but it must not have made a big impression.

>:) or o:)
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Farm Fresh brand Dill pickle chips.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I ate an olive. I actually ate it and didn't spit it out, but didn't love it. Maybe the cheese stuffed ones I might like, I'll have to see
  • JadeStone49
    JadeStone49 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a pork rind anyhow?
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Find them in the potato chip aisle. Zero carbs! You can crush them and use the crumbs for "breading" chicken and stuff. Actually, they are mostly air. http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Pork rinds
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I ate an olive. I actually ate it and didn't spit it out, but didn't love it. Maybe the cheese stuffed ones I might like, I'll have to see

Blue cheese stuffed olives are amazing! (If you like blue cheese)

I was not an olive person until this WOE, but now I love them. Happy little salty fat bombs!
  • auntstephie321
    Options

They are fried pork skins, an acquired taste
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I always loved all the foods this plan allows (except olives, never liked and still don't like olives). But before I never ate a lot of them, especially the high fat foods, because I was watching calories and was told (like most everyone else in my generation) that fat is the most calorie dense macro and if you wanted to lose weight, it was easiest to cut the fat. Turns out that isn't the case for me :D. I will say I never thought I'd like heavy cream without sugar, but a touch of cinnamon gives it a "sweet" flavor without any actual sugar, so that is a new one for me.

How can anyone not like avocados?!! Sliced and drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and served alongside, well, pretty much anything.... Mmmm. Almost as good as guacamole, lol.

Oh yeah, and coffee without a ton of sugar and flavored creamer. Never thought I could get rid of the sugar; getting rid of the coffeemate wasn't too difficult, but I used to put two hefty spoonfuls of sugar in on top of the creamer. Now I can actually drink it black if need be. Never thought that would happen!