Crunchy Snacks

Options
lowjax75
lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
So.... I need crunchy snacks. I miss the crunch more than almost everything else that I am not eating. I currently have pickles and radishes on my list.

Can't do nuts or seeds as I tend to overeat on them and that's just not good for me. Need to cut them back out. The fried cheese is the same thing. I end up eating 6 oz of cheese in a day and that's not good for anyone. Those are my favorites, but trying to move past them.

Any other ideas out there? Something crunchy that you can take with you? Portable snacks?

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take raw broccoli and cauliflower and dip it in a little container of blue cheese for a snack at work.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Sea Snax
    Raw veggies
    Bacon chips
    Homemade jerky (Canadian bacon works well and can get pretty crunchy rather than chewy)
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds.
    Mr Cheese O's crunchy cheese snack thingees.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I like raw bell pepper strips with pate/liverwurst... I do the microwaved cheese crisps with popcorn seasonings on them, but that hits the cheese target for you, so I dunno about that - but makes me not miss chips, so once in a while?

Pepperoni or salami "chips."

I haven't made them, but kale chips?

Oh, and parmesan zucchini crisps (mandolin thin slices of zucchini baked, topped with parm, until crispy. Can skip the parm and bake or fry the slices, too, and just salt for like chips...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I used to hate pork rinds, but I'm really learning to enjoy them right now. I think they are an acquired taste, at least for me they were, so maybe give them a try and see what you think. they definitely give a great crunch
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Also, not to promote a product indirectly, but this low carb site reviews some of the products available.

http://lowcarbyum.com/june-2016-keto-krate-box-opening-review/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    There's different types of pork rinds too -- find a Hispanic grocery store if you can and there will be more options.
    They are godly with salsa or guacomole.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kale chips? They really fill a void for me, appropriately doused in garlic salt. I also like pork rinds with guac, or salsa, or queso.

What about frozen fruit? There's a bit of a bite in frozen berries that can be quite a bit more satisfying than raw.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Gim (toasted seaweed)! Salty and sooo tasty!

Also little dried anchovies! You can stir fry in advance in coconut or sesame oil. Season to taste. Most recipes call for syrup or gochujang to make them sticky and a little sweet, but you don't need that to enjoy; that's just the traditional recipe.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, parsnip chips (can be found at whole foods or trader joes) and cheese or pepperoni that are baked into crunchy chips. Costco sells Parmesan chips too.

Can you tell I love chips? lol. I'd suggest almonds but I know you already know about almonds!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    There's different types of pork rinds too -- find a Hispanic grocery store if you can and there will be more options.
    They are godly with salsa or guacomole.

...I agree w/ finding a Hispanic store, you'll get the good stuff there. Some of the gas station varieties should just be left on the shelves. ugh.

• lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Will have to check some of them out. I do have pork rinds on occasion, but tend to eat the whole bag in one sitting. Never tried parsnip chips and would like to find some.

Thanks everyone!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Microwave slices of pepperoni for one minute (lay them out in a layer on a paper plate while microwaving). Allow them to cool (if you can, lol!) And they become a crunchy snack! Can use them for dips too! Good luck! The crunch is something I've missed too!
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    trader joe's parsnip chips rock!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Buy some parsnip slice thin fry em up
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Kind of misleading, as there are fractional carbs, not none, but... http://www.sparklestosprinkles.com/cloud-bread-chips/
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    How about the all time favorite delivery device for cream cheese otherwise known as celery?
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I like to get plain pork rinds and add my own seasonings like: ghee, garlic powder, chipotle powder, cayenne, tumeric, Himalayan pink salt, and black pepper to name a few!!

I also like 1/2 oz of nuts or 5 grams of shredded coconut flakes mixed in a bowl with 10 grams of dark chocolate. microwave until chocolate is mixable and refrigerate! Yum