Crunchy Snacks

Options

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    I like to get plain pork rinds and add my own seasonings like: ghee, garlic powder, chipotle powder, cayenne, tumeric, Himalayan pink salt, and black pepper to name a few!!

Do you just sprinkle them in the bag and shake it up? They stick to the surfaces ok?

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I like to get plain pork rinds and add my own seasonings like: ghee, garlic powder, chipotle powder, cayenne, tumeric, Himalayan pink salt, and black pepper to name a few!!

Do you just sprinkle them in the bag and shake it up? They stick to the surfaces ok?

That's what I wondered too, because although I eat them, I really don't like the pork aftertaste.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    robeylori wrote: »
    trader joe's parsnip chips rock!

Never heard of that... I would like to buy or make them. I found a site for the DIY'rs:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/05/parsnip-chips-3.html

Thank you!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    trader joe's parsnip chips rock!

Never heard of that... I would like to buy or make them. I found a site for the DIY'rs:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/05/parsnip-chips-3.html

Thank you!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

my sister makes them and they are quite good, easy enough too.
  • DeSterren
    DeSterren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just discovered these yesterday...seems very low carb at 5g, right? They're more like bland crackers, but definitely satisfy the crunchies I had last night. I've only tried the salt ones, none of the other flavors. https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Variety-Including/dp/B00WSZHLE8/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466021303&sr=8-3&keywords=quest+chips+protein
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Moon Cheese. Tastes like cheez-its. It's ungodly expensive at Starbucks, but I've read you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try Joseph's Flax Lavash bread. I'll heat it for about 10 minutes at 350 and it turns into a decent cracker. Should work nicely with cheese and it's pretty low carb.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I just cut up a head of red cabbage, salted it a bit. Just a bit of sweetness and a hint of heat, delicious! Couldn't stop eating it, it might become my new go-to when I want a mindless snack.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Moon Cheese. Tastes like cheez-its. It's ungodly expensive at Starbucks, but I've read you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

I've seen it at our local grocery Brookshire's here in Texas. It was not cheap, but not so expensive that I wouldn't buy it. When I first saw it I was on CICO so I didn't buy it...but now that you've reminded me...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and saw the parsnip chips folks have mentioned. I picked them up and put them back a few times. As soon as I realized I was reading the nutritional information and calculating carbs and calories for the whole bag...I put them on the shelf and walked away.
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady we don't have them in our Seven Points location :( I guess I will have to look out your way next time. Although microwave cheese chips are good too.
    @kpk54 2 net carbs for 12 chips or 3 total carbs per 12 chips- worth it if you don't have time to make at home
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady we don't have them in our Seven Points location :( I guess I will have to look out your way next time. Although microwave cheese chips are good too.
    @kpk54 2 net carbs for 12 chips or 3 total carbs per 12 chips- worth it if you don't have time to make at home

28g is more than 12 chips, I've measured. ;) Another reason to use the food scale - sometimes you get more than what it says on the bag!
  • Jacc4856
    Jacc4856 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds are awesome. And trader joes makes parsnip chips which taste just like sweet potato chips and only 3G carbs
  • arkansasteriann
    arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quest nutrition does make several "flavors" of protein chips...I tried one....once. nothing about them really tempted a repeat of that adventure but I do see folks eating them from time to time...so I guess I could be the odd one out. I see them at GNC in case you want to try them out.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Ended up getting the Trader Joes parsnip chips. Oh my. They are dangerous. Soooo good.

trader-joes-parnsip-chips.jpg?w=590

I also picked up their broccoli. Not nearly as good, but still a shade better than pork rinds.

trader-joes-crispy-crunchy-broccoli-florets.jpg
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I looked at our local (Northern Virginia) Trader Joe's yesterday, and no luck. Where are you folks that have the parsnip chips at your TJ's?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I looked at our local (Northern Virginia) Trader Joe's yesterday, and no luck. Where are you folks that have the parsnip chips at your TJ's?

North Carolina.

@lowjax75: that is what I was afraid of...too good. I do plan to get some for my beach trip in July so I won't be tempted by crackers with dips.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    I smuggled some TJ's broccoli into Canada the last time I was in LA
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    It cut off my ;)>:)
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I bought a bag of this last weekend at the local co-op. I really didn't care for it. I gave it to the nephew. lol Now there are 2 cheese( just real cheese and seasonings) products sold at Costco that are pretty tasty.
    I also like 1/2 oz of nuts or 5 grams of shredded coconut flakes mixed in a bowl with 10 grams of dark chocolate. microwave until chocolate is mixable and refrigerate! Yum

Now this sounds amazing! I'm going to try it, I have everything for it, if macadamia nuts work for the nut part.