What is going on? Is keto not working for me?

Options
saltysailors
saltysailors Posts: 101 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Any suggestions? I'm stumped! What do I need to change?

SW 192
GW 125
Height 5'3"
Female age 57

I've been doing keto for 3 weeks. No change at all. No weight loss, no change in clothes/measurements. And I'm still tired (but functional)

Honestly logged ever day
Calories at 1400
Carbs between 25-35
Moderate protein
High fat
Drinking 8 glasses of water everyday
Eating avocados, eggs, chicken, bacon, cheese
Getting plenty of low carb veges like cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, etc.
I did drink a glass of wine every evening...but included it in my carb and calorie count.
Drink 2cups of coffee daily (used to be 3) with heavy cream and/or coconut oil
Sleeping 8 hours a night...in bed by 10PM
Getting plenty (I think) of unofficial exercise through activity of rebuilding a house and doing property clean-up.

This week I will cut out the wine completely and try to lower my protein and up my veges....without starving....

I will stick with it for another 3 weeks......then....I just don't know......
Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Can't see what you're eating... are you taking care to drink water? And a lot of it?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 3 weeks. No change at all. No weight loss, no change in clothes/measurements. And I'm still tired (but functional)

Honestly logged every day

That's a puzzle, all right. Don't give up!

Have you read the sticky, "START HERE The LCD Launch Pad"?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Great tips there, including pointers about keeping your electrolytes in balance to avoid/reduce fatigue and using keto calculators. (Contrary to others' experiences, I have found it perfectly possible to overeat on a keto diet....)

Good luck!
  • saltysailors
    Options
    tayusuki wrote: »
    Can't see what you're eating... are you taking care to drink water? And a lot of it?

I don't know how to post my diary...and I just realized only part of my original post was on the page, so I edited it......

• saltysailors
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Since I can't see your diary: do you have a calorie goal, and if so, what is it?

Some people can eat whatever they want on keto, because they don't eat for emotional reasons or out of boredom, and they don't feel hungry if they eat a lot of fat. I'm not like that. I need a limit.

P.S. We're about the same height and my weight is close to your GW. 1500 calories a day is a good maintenance level for me, even with daily exercise, regular strength training, and a light activity level. If I were trying to lose weight, I would have to go down to about 1200 calories a day, which is no fun, but not unsafe.

I don't know how to post my diary and I realized only part of my post was there, so I edited it to show the details......
  • saltysailors
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Honestly logged every day

That's a puzzle, all right. Don't give up!

Have you read the sticky, "START HERE The LCD Launch Pad"?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Great tips there, including pointers about keeping your electrolytes in balance to avoid/reduce fatigue and using keto calculators. (Contrary to others' experiences, I have found it perfectly possible to overeat on a keto diet....)

Good luck!
    Okay I'll go back to the launchpad. I did the keto calculators and it said 1400 calls for moderate weight loss....and I put in all the macros....I realized my original post was only part done, so I edited it to show more details.....
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating prior to 3 weeks ago? Is this your first diet in a while?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It's only been 3 weeks, have you taken measurements? Or photos for comparison?
  • saltysailors
    Options
    No. But I'm doing that today. My clothes don't feel any different, though
  • saltysailors
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    How many calories were you eating prior to 3 weeks ago? Is this your first diet in a while?

I wasn't counting my calories for the past 8-9 months. The last time I dieted was about a year ago....then stuff happened...quit counting calories or watching what I ate...so, I'm starting again....

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

It can be misleading to go by clothes fit. My hips and waist get to a certain size then hold their forever without photos I never would've realized how much I was losing in my upper back area.
  • saltysailors
    Options

My clothes didn't feel any different until I lost almost 10 pounds of the total 35 I needed to lose. I took measurements though and realized I had lost several inches from around my ribs just under my bra. It wasn't something that affected my clothes at all. I was wearing my bras on the smallest hook but I hadn't realized it was different until I got frustrated with why my clothes weren't getting loose and measured myself again.
    I also had lost from my neck, thighs, calves and arms. But not even 1/4" from my hips or waist! Of course, those are the places we watch the most for improvement... Which is why it's so easy to miss the progress in other places.
    Also, do you have any chronic health issues? When my T1D daughter went Keto, she actually gained 20 pounds in 2 days. Of course it was related to her insulin pump therapy and a rare condition associated with a poorly controlled T1D that suddenly gets consistently healthy blood sugars. But, my point is, that upon her body getting the right foods and being treated better, it immediately went into "repair mode" and created a lot of inflammation, the type that is for healing the body, so that she could get healthy. The body is smart and if it needs to hold onto or put on weight in order to fix things, it will.
    She's been Keto now since February and just in the last month has started to lose some of the total 30 pounds she put on. I was able to convince her to stay on track and have faith that she's doing the right things and the weight will work itself out when it's ready.
    For the first time, she's in control of her diabetes, has reduced her insulin use from 120+ units a day to about 35 and brought her A1c down to 7.0 from over 14.
    When we are doing everything right with how much and what we are eating and weight doesn't respond the way we want, we need to consider that our body may have more important tasks.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm glad to hear your daughter responded so well.
    No, I hadn't measured at all. So, I did that today. I do not have any chronic illnesses or medical problems, other than menopause. I keep holding on to the fact that my body is going through internal changes that I cannot see, but need to happen before I will lose any weight. But, boy do I miss my carbs, and I feel like there is nothing to eat! I will attempt to lower my calories to 1300 from 1400, but I'm already 1/2 way there today and still hungry :(
    Ah well.....more water, I guess

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

My clothes didn't feel any different until I lost almost 10 pounds of the total 35 I needed to lose. I took measurements though and realized I had lost several inches from around my ribs just under my bra. It wasn't something that affected my clothes at all. I was wearing my bras on the smallest hook but I hadn't realized it was different until I got frustrated with why my clothes weren't getting loose and measured myself again.
    I also had lost from my neck, thighs, calves and arms. But not even 1/4" from my hips or waist! Of course, those are the places we watch the most for improvement... Which is why it's so easy to miss the progress in other places.
    Also, do you have any chronic health issues? When my T1D daughter went Keto, she actually gained 20 pounds in 2 days. Of course it was related to her insulin pump therapy and a rare condition associated with a poorly controlled T1D that suddenly gets consistently healthy blood sugars. But, my point is, that upon her body getting the right foods and being treated better, it immediately went into "repair mode" and created a lot of inflammation, the type that is for healing the body, so that she could get healthy. The body is smart and if it needs to hold onto or put on weight in order to fix things, it will.
    She's been Keto now since February and just in the last month has started to lose some of the total 30 pounds she put on. I was able to convince her to stay on track and have faith that she's doing the right things and the weight will work itself out when it's ready.
    For the first time, she's in control of her diabetes, has reduced her insulin use from 120+ units a day to about 35 and brought her A1c down to 7.0 from over 14.
    When we are doing everything right with how much and what we are eating and weight doesn't respond the way we want, we need to consider that our body may have more important tasks.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm glad to hear your daughter responded so well.
    No, I hadn't measured at all. So, I did that today. I do not have any chronic illnesses or medical problems, other than menopause. I keep holding on to the fact that my body is going through internal changes that I cannot see, but need to happen before I will lose any weight. But, boy do I miss my carbs, and I feel like there is nothing to eat! I will attempt to lower my calories to 1300 from 1400, but I'm already 1/2 way there today and still hungry :(

I bet you're not eating enough fat or getting enough sodium. Both of those can make hunger an issue. Mostly the fat...
    Take a look at this thread and you'll see there's so much good food to eat.
    Now go out and get you some bacon! Stat!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest
  • saltysailors
    Options
    Any suggestions? I'm stumped! What do I need to change?

SW 192
    GW 125
    Height 5'3"
    Female age 57

Honestly logged ever day
    Calories at 1400
    Carbs between 25-35
    Moderate protein
    High fat
    Drinking 8 glasses of water everyday
    Eating avocados, eggs, chicken, bacon, cheese
    Getting plenty of low carb veges like cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, etc.
    I did drink a glass of wine every evening...but included it in my carb and calorie count.
    Drink 2cups of coffee daily (used to be 3) with heavy cream and/or coconut oil
    Sleeping 8 hours a night...in bed by 10PM
    Getting plenty (I think) of unofficial exercise through activity of rebuilding a house and doing property clean-up.

This week I will cut out the wine completely and try to lower my protein and up my veges....without starving....

I will stick with it for another 3 weeks......then....I just don't know......
    Any help would be appreciated

@saltysailors It may take you 90 days just to figure out how to get into nutritional ketosis and stay in nutritional ketosis due to the "hidden" carbs everywhere based on my personal experience.

You will have to get you a blood glucose/ketone meter to know your measureable blood ketone levels.

Low Carb High Fat is NOT a weight loss plan but a health recovery plan in my view. As our organs start to function better then weight loss can just be a by-product of improving health.

I bet you are getting into some hidden carbs at this point in time if you are eating ANY processed foods or eating out. Time will help you learn where they are and how to avoid them.

Eating out is fine and I do it daily. I have been detecting hidden carbs since Oct 2014 and still find new sources. :)

Best of success.

Thanks! That's a long time to wait before seeing any results. Especially when you hear of so many people that have such great results so rapidly. Will urine dip strips work? I cannot prick my finger! How do I find those hidden carbs? I try not to eat out much, but between rebuilding our home and visiting our retirement home halfway across the country, sometimes it is inevitable. When we are on the road traveling, I try to stick to eggs, burgers without buns or ketchup and hard salami and cheese. When we dine out, I try to have salads with grilled meats without the croutons and stick with ranch dressing or bring my own. Sometimes I'll just have chicken or steak with veges and butter.

• cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

My wife has thyroid issues and made it impossinke to lose weight. If the other suggestions don't help, ask your doctor to do some labs.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is very little time to start showing a weight loss. I know keto is supposed to be different that way, but I suspect that some people lose quickly and others do what I do, which is to plateau immediately, show some loss later, maybe in 6 weeks, and then plateau again.