To caffeine or not to caffeine!

Options
kirstie1978
kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
I did low carb a few years ago and was told to avoid caffeine as it can mimic insulin spike. However I recall reading they have also recently decided caffeine is good for your metabolism?! I tend to drink caffeine until afternoon about 2/3pm and decaf thereafter (before all this decaf was a banned word for me!) so just wanted to see people's thoughts etc. Thanks

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I am drinking decaf as I tend to drink too much coffee - but I haven't seen any problems when I was drinking caffeine with the woe
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I consume caffeine and, because I'm a type 1 diabetic, I'm testing my BG several times every day. I don't notice any BG spike (which for a non-T1D is what would cause an insulin spike). If it mimics an insulin spike without actually creating an insulin spike, then wouldn't the effect by hypoglycemia? I haven't heard that it is common for non-diabetic coffee-drinkers to have low BG. This is very confusing to me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If caffeine could cause such, I'd never get into ketosis, and I have no problem staying there. I tend to throw down well over 1000 mg of caffeine on a daily basis.

ETA: never not caffeine.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but I have been steadily losing and haven't given up my coffee. I have a large one in the morning and then again after lunch. I quit the powdered creamer though.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I'm new to this but I have been steadily losing and haven't given up my coffee. I have a large one in the morning and then again after lunch. I quit the powdered creamer though.

I used to use flavored liquid creamers, and my god were they horrible at keeping me from dropping weight. It was just too easy to overuse the stuff. These days, I just drink it black, unless I am making BPC in the morning.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'll stop drinking coffee when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. No disrespect intended.

This.
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    These days, I just drink it black, unless I am making BPC in the morning.

I haven't tried BPC yet. I probably should. How do you make yours?

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that it can spike insulin before. The only reasons I'm aware that someone might avoid it are related to how they feel or because of the neurotoxicity associated with it. However, even Dave Asprey drinks coffee and that dude is a nut case about avoiding things that are harmful. Lol
    He of course, only drinks his coffee though. :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited June 2016
    Options

2 cups (16 oz.) Eight O'clock Hazelnut
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter
    2 tbsp Coconut oil
    1 tbsp heavy cream
    1 tbsp Vanilla extract

Hit them with a blender of some sort (I use an immersion blender), consume the delicious, fatty goodness.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

2 cups Eight O'clock Hazelnut
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter
    2 tbsp Coconut oil
    1 tbsp heavy cream
    1 tbsp Vanilla extract

Hit them with a blender of some sort (I use an immersion blender), consume the delicious, fatty goodness.

I'm drooling...
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

2 cups (16 oz.) Eight O'clock Hazelnut
    2 tbsp. unsalted butter
    2 tbsp Coconut oil
    1 tbsp heavy cream
    1 tbsp Vanilla extract

Yummm... I usually only do butter, coconut oil and heavy cream. 1tbsp of each. But hazelnut coffee and vanilla extract on top of that....that sounds amazing!
  • NattySchmatty
    Options
    I know right?! That sounds amazing.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Yeah, I don't really care what it does to my body. I will not give up my morning cuppa. I love coffee so much.
  • NattySchmatty
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Another BPC question- Do you eat breakfast with it or have it instead? I've read different things... I feel like this is something I can really get into. I seriously love coffee.
  • Kimo159
    Options
    Another BPC question- Do you eat breakfast with it or have it instead? I've read different things... I feel like this is something I can really get into. I seriously love coffee.

The first few days I had it with breakfast. Then I thought I would try to just have it alone and eat breakfast a bit later. I'm finding I'm not hungry until about 2-3 hours after I drink my BPC.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited June 2016
    Options

I normally just have it by itself. It's about 500 calories all on it's own.

ETA: after that's gone, if I feel like I need more caffeine, I'll just roll through another cup or five, black.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of coffee (30 oz. "Yeti" cup, and I drink one and a half cups a day), but I do half caf, but will have full strength if that's all that's available. Also, I use just hwc (1 tbsp to approximately 10 oz.). Used to do the sugar free syrup, but sucralose isn't kind to my body!

I drink this almost everyday then am not hungry until around noon time.