Things I hate on LCHF

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JTyler2016 wrote: »
    I kinda like the look of that, but feel like the sugar sub doesn't even need to be there. Just personal taste, but I can't imagine it helps anything structurally, and I'd prefer my pancakes a bit less sweet than I've ever had them anyway.

I often don't use any sugar sub either, and they turns out just fine, sometimes I'll add a little flax to make them fluffier or SF vanilla extract to add a natural sweet instead.

Thanks for that idea, and verification of what I thought. I plan on giving these a go this weekend. My girl hates pancakes, but it's because, as she put it, "it's like eating poorly flavored bread, I can just buy that without actually having to cook anything". I'm wondering if these subs will work for her, as I can't imagine them coming off in a manner like she describes.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I suppose fruit would be the only thing, like others have said, but really...I'm happy with the occasional half-handful of blueberries or raspberries, and adding fruit flavored stevia to stuff. It's the only thing I can think of, that I haven't been able to replace yet.

I mean, I'm eating low-carb versions of pizza, breakfast burritos, taco salad about once every week or every couple of weeks, and happy for that...I also made some low-carb gyros tonight with homemade slab of meat (mix of lamb and ground beef) baked in the oven and then sliced thinly and sauteed in a pan, then topped with homemade sour cream-based tzatziki, couple slices of tomato and onion and feta, all piled onto the low-carb mini pitas I found at the store (Joseph's Bakery) so I'd say I'm faring pretty well! I am actually eating more "fast food" style meals than I did before, except they're good for me. Prior to full-on keto, I had cut out most bread, all rice except for wild and red/brown, and almost all pasta, flour/corn tortillas, and sugar...but I would eat more traditional meals, like a cut of meat with some veg on the side, maybe a grain, and a piece of fruit for dessert...whatever was in season. I think I ate my weight in Clementines this past winter!

Since summer has it, I've been living on taco salad. The kind I make often is just that, but I found some low-carb "flour" style tortillas (Tumaros Premium White) and fried it to make a shell bowl and put the salad in that and no one was the wiser. It really tasted like I went to some restaurant and got it. Have done it successfully a couple times, now. Greek salads, too. With lots of olives, sometimes salami, roasted red pepper, artichokes, feta...mmm. Great way to get some salt in.

I still eat a plain Jane meal of veg with some meat and a salad or something, but I know the tricks to eat some stuff that looks BAD, but kind of isn't. So I haven't been missing much.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    A few things I miss on LCHF:

1) Oatmeal - yes there's a low carb version which is essentially pecans, chia seeds and other various seeds, but I haven't tried that yet. I miss regular oatmeal with..
    2) Fruit - I miss fruit a LOT.
    3) Pancakes. No real reason other than I don't really like the cream cheese ones all that much, I miss the fluffy texture of big thick fluffy pancakes. I may need to explore almond flour pancakes or something.

Funny enough I don't miss chips or cake much. And I actually hate my old favorite candy, Reese cups. I find them way too sweet now and I find myself complaining to myself that there's not enough peanut butter, lol.

I like this "no-oats oatmeal" recipe, personally I LOOOOOVE to make it with eggnog. Holy wow. http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?tag=oat-free-oatmeal

Also for pancakes, this recipe met with approval from even my children (12 and 15, so very picky about how pancakes "should" be!!). Yes, it is weird to think of pork rinds having any part of a breakfast pancake recipe, but it really really works. I did find that I had to double the "mile high mix" it calls for, to 6 Tbsp, but they were amazing. The only person who made a remotely negative comment was my husband who is not a fan of coconut flour; he noticed the flavor but my kids were happy happy! http://fluffychixcook.com/mile-high-silver-dollar-pancakes-low-carb-gluten-free-options/

I intend to someday try this recipe for pancakes too, because it looks amazing in the blog pictures LOL!
    http://www.cutthewheat.com/2014/08/kristies-perfectly-puffy-pancakes.html
  • Phrick
    edited July 2016
    Options
    oh and for those not trying to moderate protein intake, a great pizza crust (that you can actually hold like real pizza, it's seriously amazing) is this Bacon Extravaganza Deep Dish Pizza (note, it is far from "deep dish" LMAO but the crust is excellent). We have used this crust extensively, it is also kid- (and husband-) approved
  • Phrick
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @MaryDeLoria - Just yesterday, I saw that someone is now carrying almond flour and coconut flour tortillas. I don't know who or where, but that animal is out there somewhere. Also, psyllium husks tend to be used for tortillas and stuff A LOT...

Cool. Maybe I can find a recipe - I've got both flours on my shelf & a little time to play in the kitchen. Thanks!

Tortilla recipes!

http://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/02/08/pork-rind-tortillas/
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/gluten-free-tortillas/?utm_content=buffer8c2ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/28/Best-Keto-Paleo-Tortillas-Taco-Shells-Nachos

Basic Revolution-ary Rolls (that have a "wraps" option, they are pretty decent for tortillas) http://fluffychixcook.com/basic-revolution-ary-rolls-low-carb-and-gluten-free/

Tortilla chips:
    http://elanaspantry.com/paleo-tortilla-chips/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    A few things I miss on LCHF:

1) Oatmeal - yes there's a low carb version which is essentially pecans, chia seeds and other various seeds, but I haven't tried that yet. I miss regular oatmeal with..
    2) Fruit - I miss fruit a LOT.
    3) Pancakes. No real reason other than I don't really like the cream cheese ones all that much, I miss the fluffy texture of big thick fluffy pancakes. I may need to explore almond flour pancakes or something.

Funny enough I don't miss chips or cake much. And I actually hate my old favorite candy, Reese cups. I find them way too sweet now and I find myself complaining to myself that there's not enough peanut butter, lol.

I like this "no-oats oatmeal" recipe, personally I LOOOOOVE to make it with eggnog. Holy wow. http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?tag=oat-free-oatmeal

Also for pancakes, this recipe met with approval from even my children (12 and 15, so very picky about how pancakes "should" be!!). Yes, it is weird to think of pork rinds having any part of a breakfast pancake recipe, but it really really works. I did find that I had to double the "mile high mix" it calls for, to 6 Tbsp, but they were amazing. The only person who made a remotely negative comment was my husband who is not a fan of coconut flour; he noticed the flavor but my kids were happy happy! http://fluffychixcook.com/mile-high-silver-dollar-pancakes-low-carb-gluten-free-options/

I intend to someday try this recipe for pancakes too, because it looks amazing in the blog pictures LOL!
    http://www.cutthewheat.com/2014/08/kristies-perfectly-puffy-pancakes.html

Here's the waybackmachine links for the first link...which no longer works.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150912212910/http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?p=1487

http://web.archive.org/web/20150919112919/http://www.girlmeetswhisk.com/?p=1603
  • Phrick
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss for letting me know - I have a (huge) folder of recipes on Google Drive with links to the originals as well as typed out, so I just copied the link to here. I can copy/paste the full text of the original recipe if anyone wants.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I always save the text of recipes like this by emailing them to myself, too, so we can compare notes if any recipes come back missing! :) GMTA, @Phrick!
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Since I have a little bit of down time in the lab today, I'm going to take the opportunity to print off some of these recipes. My phone doesn't like to work when I am at the woman's house, and trying to make this stuff from memory would be begging for disaster.

"Wait, was it mozzarella, Parmesan, or Ricotta?" The mess...all of the mess, just everywhere.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best ever! Thanks for the recipes!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @KETOGENICGURL for the tip to remove the rind taste, that is what I hate about pork rinds! Didn't know this - will have to try it out next time!
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2016
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    The only thing I hate, or rather what I miss - is the convenience.
    It's Convenient to just pop a couple slices of bread in a toaster or pour some cereal in a bowl.
    It's convenient to whack something between 2 slices of bread for lunch.
    It's convenient to just grab something from a shop.
    I have to think / plan more and if I want a specific thing I may have to work more to create a healthy version.
    But it's worth it!

I have actually found this WoE to be more convenient, when you look at the longer timeline. Yes, I spent all day yesterday prepping food. However, it's now all in neat little storage containers in my fridge, ready for me to just grab and go whenever I so desire. A bit more up front cost and time expenditure, for about a week and a half that I don't have to worry about any kind of food prep, unless I want something other than the six things I made.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's Convenient to just pop a couple slices of bread in a toaster or pour some cereal in a bowl.
    I have to think / plan more and if I want a specific thing I may have to work more to create a healthy version.
    But it's worth it!

I have actually found this WoE to be more convenient, when you look at the longer timeline. Yes, I spent all day yesterday prepping food. However, it's now all in neat little storage containers in my fridge, ready for me to just grab and go whenever I so desire. A bit more up front cost and time expenditure, for about a week and a half that I don't have to worry about any kind of food prep, unless I want something other than the six things I made.

You are way more organised then me!!! I dream of one day having my life together enough to have a food prep day but that day is not today!! :D

• Gallowmere1984
    Options
    But it's worth it!

You are way more organised then me!!! I dream of one day having my life together enough to have a food prep day but that day is not today!! :D

I just recently got around to it myself. It's definitely been worth the added effort.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    But it's worth it!

I just recently got around to it myself. It's definitely been worth the added effort.

I completely agree with this. I started food prepping about a year ago! It's awesome. I always have food to eat that's on plan and tasty and I can switch it up as often as I want. I also grocery shop way less frequently and never really throw out food anymore.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    But it's worth it!

I completely agree with this. I started food prepping about a year ago! It's awesome. I always have food to eat that's on plan and tasty and I can switch it up as often as I want. I also grocery shop way less frequently and never really throw out food anymore.

That last part is very important. I often hear people complain about "healthy" eating being expensive. The most expensive food you ever buy, is that which goes in the trash.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think enjoying (and committing to) cooking and prep and shopping/meal planning is a huge part of this WOL - unless you can afford the convenient ways of doing those things (having prepared meals ordered/delivered, eating low-carb out a lot, someone else shopping for you, etc.).

My income does not allow for the latter, so I've just almost always been one to cook nearly everything I eat at home, including snacks - in the way of prepared foods/packaged things, it's always been minimal but nuts, cheeses, pepperoni/deli meat, etc. are really the only mainstays I have in that area.

And I hardly waste food. I threw out a remnant few stems of mint and a couple dying root ends of green onion the other day, that I had languishing in jars of water. I learned that mint keeps best in a dry plastic bag, and it's time for me to grow some more green onions. Other than that, I pretty much eat it all. I even make stocks from bones and vegetable scraps.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

We've had a Keurig for about six years. It works in this household because DH drinks two cups of regular coffee a day and he's done. I drink both regular coffee and decaf. I love flavored coffees; DH would rather drink from the cats' bowls. I switch over to tea sometimes; DH doesn't drink tea at all.

Some caveats: There are a zillion different k-cup varieties out there but the newer Keurig Vue coffeemaker only uses k-cups made by the Keurig manufacturer. Also, at some point you're going to realize that, no matter how carefully you shop for k-cups, you've already spent in k-cups more than you paid for the coffee maker itself. This is not a budget friendly choice compared to traditional coffee making methods.