Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Vowder wrote: »
    I bought salt pills. 1g of salt in pill form. Take 2 with my vitamins... solves the whole issue.

are your pills 1g of salt? or 1g of sodium? I make my own salt pills that are like 4g of salt, but it's still only 1/10 of the sodium I need to supplement per day :/

NACL isn't that salt?

@Vowder Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is common table salt. But 1g total weight of table salt doesn't contain 1g of sodium. It's why I'm asking. 1g of table salt = ~380mg of sodium. Keto FAQs recommend 5g of SODIUM per day (if I'm not mistaken), which is about 12g of table salt if my math is correct.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    For the folks missing ice cream, if you're in the US, I've heard that Halo Top is fantastic.
    http://www.halotop.com/

Unfortunately I'm in Canada and can only dream about it. :/

@artfulwench - I've heard it's overrated and not creamy at all as it's low fat, low cal, and sugar free, etc. I've heard it isn't worth the money, just FYI...

It's really good! The trick is letting it rest on the counter for a few minutes. It doesn't have the emulsifiers that are added to most ice creams so it's not creamy right out of the carton. If you let it sit and soften a few minutes the texture changes to that of "real" ice cream. I like the birthday cake best. The vanilla is good too and I don't even like vanilla. The chocolate I didn't care much for. I can't get the rest of the flavors where I live so no review on those. I'm dying to try the lemon cake.

I've been "lower carbing" (~50g net carbs) for 2-3 weeks now and ice cream is something I have really missed.

I was just reading this thread in the doctor's office before I ran to grocery store. I bought the Birthday Cake. OMG!!!! It was incredible!!!! I totally agree to let it soften a bit. It was phenomenal.

The other thing I miss is crispy texture. Pork rinds are just OK. My Zucchini Chips were tasty but not crisp - I think I need a dehydrator.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Tara4boys Cheese crisps are great - but I like them better in the microwave than in the oven. Pepperoni or salami chips are more versatile taste wise, and I've done them both ways - oven or microwave. I've made some zucchini parmesan crisps in the oven that got way crispy, and I loved them, I think it's about how thin you make them (or you can fry them - I bet that would make them crispy!)... Radishes, parnsips, turnips, etc. should also work the same way. I'd try all the different low enough carb ones until you find you preferred taste.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    For the folks missing ice cream, if you're in the US, I've heard that Halo Top is fantastic.

@artfulwench - I've heard it's overrated and not creamy at all as it's low fat, low cal, and sugar free, etc. I've heard it isn't worth the money, just FYI...

It's really good! The trick is letting it rest on the counter for a few minutes. It doesn't have the emulsifiers that are added to most ice creams so it's not creamy right out of the carton. If you let it sit and soften a few minutes the texture changes to that of "real" ice cream. I like the birthday cake best. The vanilla is good too and I don't even like vanilla. The chocolate I didn't care much for. I can't get the rest of the flavors where I live so no review on those. I'm dying to try the lemon cake.

I just found it last week! I hadn't tried any Halo Top and decided to buy chocolate and lemon cake. I'm a huge chocolate lover and was really surprised at how disappointing the chocolate was! Lemon cake is where its at. I usually dislike 'birthday cake' type flavors but I may try the Halo Top version since I liked the lemon cake so much.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I just found it last week! I hadn't tried any Halo Top and decided to buy chocolate and lemon cake. I'm a huge chocolate lover and was really surprised at how disappointing the chocolate was! Lemon cake is where its at. I usually dislike 'birthday cake' type flavors but I may try the Halo Top version since I liked the lemon cake so much. [/quote]

Where did you find it at? I mean what grocer? I miss ice cream a lot
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If someone carries it already, you can print the form from the website to ask them to carry other flavors. If they don't carry it, you can ask them to. Locally, Whole Foods and a Nutrition Center were the only places that carried it. Go to the website to find out who carries it in your area.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a dehydrator in the basement! Thanks! Only used it for camping food and I don't camp anymore. I miss crunch too and this would help.

I make my own yogurt too. 1 litre whole milk boiled then cooled to baby bottle level, 1 tablespoon of Greek Yogurt, then yogurt maker or dyhrdrator or even heating pad or oven set to 110- 115F for 10 -24 hours. Lovely yogurt. Sweet with no flavouring needed.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @WBB55

Wow... okay that explains some things. With 2 pills, I thought I was taking 2000 mg. If I'm only taking 760... that is why I can still get light headed if I stand up too quickly on heavy workout days.

Thx
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 You're in California? I bought it at Pavilions in California when I was there.

But yes, Whole Foods also carries it and I think Kroger...if that is in California.

Sorry I'm from Canada, I don't know all the shops!
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options

I've had the chocolate Halo Top, and it's pretty darn good!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The things I hate about LCHF aren't really so much about LCHF as reactions to it.

I hate ordering an iced coffee plain with ONLY coffee and cream and getting a syrupy sugar fest. Then when I take it back they can't wrap their heads around no sweeteners...at all. This usually happens at McDonald's and sometimes Starbucks. Dunkin always has my back! :) lol

I have Celiac and have been without gluten for probably 7 years. How am I alive? lol

Not really a hate but it super amuses me when people are eating junk like donuts or store bought cakes and apologize to me because I can't eat it. I don't think they can believe that I really don't want it.

As for the coffee at McD's & Timmie's.... Ask for NO BASE, just cream when ordering. '$1.00 Drink Days' all summer long at McD's - bwahahaha, FORGET Starbucks, McD's coffee tastes better anyhow.

I think it's funny when people feel sorry for me that I can't eat donuts or cake too. I never ate them before I was dx'd mainly because I'd rather eat something savoury.
    I will have proper handmade gelato a couple times in the summer and just suck it up about carbs, but for me any other ice cream is gross due to yucky texture & lack of flavour.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Starbucks coffee is awful. I think most people just don't realize it, because they don't go to Starbucks for the coffee. They go for the crap that the coffee is diluted with.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

I didn't you had to drink coffee to be on a low carb diet? The last time I drank coffee ~ was in the 1960's....

Who told you to drink coffee on this diet?

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    The things I hate about LCHF aren't really so much about LCHF as reactions to it.

I hate ordering an iced coffee plain with ONLY coffee and cream and getting a syrupy sugar fest. Then when I take it back they can't wrap their heads around no sweeteners...at all. This usually happens at McDonald's and sometimes Starbucks. Dunkin always has my back! :) lol

I have Celiac and have been without gluten for probably 7 years. How am I alive? lol

Not really a hate but it super amuses me when people are eating junk like donuts or store bought cakes and apologize to me because I can't eat it. I don't think they can believe that I really don't want it.

As for the coffee at McD's & Timmie's.... Ask for NO BASE, just cream when ordering. '$1.00 Drink Days' all summer long at McD's - bwahahaha, FORGET Starbucks, McD's coffee tastes better anyhow.

I think it's funny when people feel sorry for me that I can't eat donuts or cake too. I never ate them before I was dx'd mainly because I'd rather eat something savoury.
    I will have proper handmade gelato a couple times in the summer and just suck it up about carbs, but for me any other ice cream is gross due to yucky texture & lack of flavour.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Starbucks coffee is awful. I think most people just don't realize it, because they don't go to Starbucks for the coffee. They go for the crap that the coffee is diluted with.

I must confess I do like Starbucks iced coffee. I only put cream in it. I like their espresso as well.

McDonald's I like but the ones around me get it right maybe once out of every 20 times I order. Not an exaggeration sadly. I go into great detail...coffee and cream only, no liquid sugar and still I get liquid sugar. Or they'll randomly throw the sugar free vanilla in there which is worse because I don't do splenda at all ever. puke. lol

Dunkin iced coffee is my #1 favorite. I like the coffee best and they nearly always get it right. In fact I go so often that they recognize my voice in the drive-thru and will finish my order before I do. I didn't know whether to be proud or ashamed. haha

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

ugg...Starbuck's coffee tastes burned to me. Tried it once and won't do it again. However! before I went keto I LOVED their Berry Hibiscus refreshers. I had their gold card and it was solely buying those yummy sweet, cold drinks. Another thing to miss but luckily don't crave.