Zero Carb July

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I can see the point in the reverse sear, but for how I like my steak it is not good. I prefer steak seared on the outside, but raw on the inside. I can get close by air drying the steaks on a rack in the fridge, for a few days, before cooking.

I find this way of eating cheaper than keto was. That is especially true if you switch from keto that includes faux-foods. The nut flours, artificial sweeteners, and other specialized baking ingredients are so expensive. It is still true if you weren't eating lots of that stuff. At least it was for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm glad to see it. It seems you have a lot of experience in various LC WOE.
    I've tried all kinds of different macro outlays, and I just eventually keep coming back to LC in some form. Just don't like most sources of carbs, and forcing myself to eat them is miserable.
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I can see the point in the reverse sear, but for how I like my steak it is not good. I prefer steak seared on the outside, but raw on the inside. I can get close by air drying the steaks on a rack in the fridge, for a few days, before cooking.

I find this way of eating cheaper than keto was. That is especially true if you switch from keto that includes faux-foods. The nut flours, artificial sweeteners, and other specialized baking ingredients are so expensive. It is still true if you weren't eating lots of that stuff. At least it was for me.

You can back down the time in the oven quite a bit for reverse searing. I prefer mine quite rare as well, but the RS process seems to knock a bit of the toughness out of many cuts. Instead of keeping in the over to 120 internal, I only let it roll to 95-105.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A trick for eating cheap cuts is to cover it in salt and let it sit for a few hours before cooking. The salt will tenderize the meat. Give it like 6 hours. So maybe set it up in the morning before you go to work. The meat will be salty, but not a salt lick, and it will be very tender. So try it with chuck steak.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    My ribeyes are broiled for approximately three minutes on each side (depending on thickness), and come out perfect for my taste. If real thick I allow a two minute "warm up" before broiling. Love them!

I also find the carnivore woe to be much easier on the food budget!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    My ribeyes are broiled for approximately three minutes on each side (depending on thickness), and come out perfect for my taste. If real thick I allow a two minute "warm up" before broiling. Love them!

I also find the carnivore woe to be much easier on the food budget!

Which is really amusing, because all you ever hear about it how expensive meat is. Nope, just don't expect to eat filet and lobster tail on a ground beef and sausage budget.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I have to admit I do this too - much prefer my meat rare to blue - it has a beautiful texture and taste to it, although I have to cook my sons steak a bit more medium as he doesn't like the blood!!!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Congratulations @Kathrout1973!! That is wonderful progress so far!!!! You deserve every celebration!! I've got some huge smiles going on for you! :star::star::smiley::smiley::smiley::star::star:
    YOU ROCK!!

Your commitment to this woe is reminding me of myself! I learned very early that this was the woe for me, for life!! I, also, wished I would have found it years ago! We've got it now though!
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I can't see myself ever stopping this WOE - I have had so many benefits from this, in one week - i wish I had found this WOE years ago.

Thanks for this topic, Kathy, and thanks to all who responded with more info. I'm pretty sure I could do this and be consistent up until certain social settings where it would probably cancel out all my good intentions. For example, how would you have managed to stay on zero carb during your mum's recent visit? How would you handle those social trips to the fish 'n' chips place?

I'm being taken out tonight to a private club and have no idea about the menu and it's much too early in this relationship for me to be a pain in the *kitten* about my woe. Also, he likes to sit around with his friends at the club over a drink or two and is taking me specifically to introduce me to those friends. It will be awkward if I ask for ice water. Right? How do you zero carbers handle these things?

• Carnivorekat
    Options
    I am not totally sure how I will cope with social situations, but managed today when my son wanted sausage and chips from the chip shop - got him his and went to the park and have eaten my lunch when we got home so that wasn't too bad at all - I have a big test coming up as am off to the west coast of Scotland to visit my sister for 10 days - I am planning on cooking for myself separately to what they are eating and not getting too hung up over it all - I have felt so much improvement this week that I don't want anything to jeopardise this.

I am not a huge drinker anyway but alcohol as long as its not beer I will have occasionally just in small quantities and with diet soda or perhaps wine. In most places to eat there will be salad/steak and other good foods its not all going to be unhealthy so I think the only thing I would aim to do is pick the lowest carb item on the menu and ask for no sides.

It would all depend on how stringent you would want to be with this way of eating, on any other diet I would think to hell with it, will have a week off and enjoy myself but the way I am feeling at the minute, I don't see it as being like that anymore, I want to do what is feeling right for my body.

Mind you that might all go out of the window when I get up to my sisters
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is a great post. Thank you for all the tips. I just started today. I think it will be so much easier than low carb or keto....I LOVE all meats, except organ meats.

One question....do you also count calories? Because I am finding meats have a lot of calories and it's putting me over by a lot.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I counted calories in the beginning, along with other macros. But, once I felt I had learned enough from it I stopped logging, and counting. That was last July, and I've gone from a weight of just over 200 pounds, to 168 pounds now. Size wise, was a size 18/20, and now 10/12! Plus, I'm 8 pounds from my goal weight!!

Logging, and counting, is a great learning tool. It helps us learn what we are choosing to put in our mouths. Can be very eye opening to learn what we are choosing to fuel our bodies with. So, I recommend logging every bite for at least thirty days when going carnivore. If you choose to remain carnivore you may not need to log anymore. If you return to having more veggies...then logging is very important, imo!

A night out, not wanting to be the "odd man out" is a big choice. If you don't want to approach food choices with a new companion early on, then when will you? My opinion is to be upfront about your eating habits. That being said; Having a vodka, with soda and a twist of lime is a very satisfying drink, imo, and other than the lime it is zero carb. I've even had it without the lime, and it's not that bad. Then having a meal served to you, and not eat the sides because the meat "filled you up" if anyone even notices (most people don't even notice though)can help with the food options. Have a good time most of all! :smiley:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    I can't see myself ever stopping this WOE - I have had so many benefits from this, in one week - i wish I had found this WOE years ago.

Thanks for this topic, Kathy, and thanks to all who responded with more info. I'm pretty sure I could do this and be consistent up until certain social settings where it would probably cancel out all my good intentions. For example, how would you have managed to stay on zero carb during your mum's recent visit? How would you handle those social trips to the fish 'n' chips place?

I'm being taken out tonight to a private club and have no idea about the menu and it's much too early in this relationship for me to be a pain in the *kitten* about my woe. Also, he likes to sit around with his friends at the club over a drink or two and is taking me specifically to introduce me to those friends. It will be awkward if I ask for ice water. Right? How do you zero carbers handle these things?

Most pub types of places have burgers or steak of some sort. Just get a naked burger (or a couple of patties), or a big steak, or other grilled meat. Also be on the look out for meat-based hor d'oeuvres.

As for mum's visit? Just cook like you might for the rest of the family. Make the meat the centerpiece of the meal, make a vegetable and maybe starch dish for the others, and just eat your meat.

Where I struggle most is when I'm mom's guest, because they're super poor, so their food stock generally consists of what she could find on sale or at the budget/bulk grocer, which means a box, maybe two, of macaroni and cheese, a can of green beans, and maybe a pound of meat serves four adults and a young kid or two. In those cases, just do the best you can and don't beat yourself up if it means going off plan for a few days.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I counted calories in the beginning, along with other macros. But, once I felt I had learned enough from it I stopped logging, and counting. That was last July, and I've gone from a weight of just over 200 pounds, to 168 pounds now. Size wise, was a size 18/20, and now 10/12! Plus, I'm 8 pounds from my goal weight!!

Logging, and counting, is a great learning tool. It helps us learn what we are choosing to put in our mouths. Can be very eye opening to learn what we are choosing to fuel our bodies with. So, I recommend logging every bite for at least thirty days when going carnivore. If you choose to remain carnivore you may not need to log anymore. If you return to having more veggies...then logging is very important, imo!

A night out, not wanting to be the "odd man out" is a big choice. If you don't want to approach food choices with a new companion early on, then when will you? My opinion is to be upfront about your eating habits. That being said; Having a vodka, with soda and a twist of lime is a very satisfying drink, imo, and other than the lime it is zero carb. I've even had it without the lime, and it's not that bad. Then having a meal served to you, and not eat the sides because the meat "filled you up" if anyone even notices (most people don't even notice though)can help with the food options. Have a good time most of all! :smiley:

Thank you so much. I guess this first week will be trial and error when they it comes to counting calories. I am committing to 30 days of this to see how it goes! I am very excited.
    I grilled up ribeyes, hamburgers and chicken thighs last night to get me started!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @esaucier17 - you may also find that you are satisfied with less, therefore naturally lowering your calories if that is one of your concerns.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

My mother-in-law recently moved into my house. It hasn't made things easier. It doesn't make it impossible though. I don't usually get tempted by junk, but I also ask my wife to keep it out of sight. My mother-in-law has added so much junk to the house that it's over-flowing. It can be done. Even with her constantly asking if I want some rice, pasta, broccoli, etc. She knows how I eat. Although, I guess we can pretend that at least some of those times are caused by the brain fog that carbs can cause. :wink:

Eating out at new places, and with new people, can be interesting. I've found that few people really care. As for drinking, I stick with bourbon, often with ice and club soda or seltzer.
  • esaucier17
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @esaucier17 - you may also find that you are satisfied with less, therefore naturally lowering your calories if that is one of your concerns.

Yes....I already notice it today. The fat has really filled me up and I ate much less at lunch than I thought I was going to. Thank you so much :smile:
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eating out at new places, and with new people, can be interesting. I've found that few people really care. As for drinking, I stick with bourbon, often with ice and club soda or seltzer.

Thanks, @FIT_Goat for the ideas. After searching liquors listed in the food database, I think I'll go with vodka with soda or seltzer, over crushed ice. No carbs and least likely to affect my better judgement in other matters.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

Thanks, @FIT_Goat for the ideas. After searching liquors listed in the food database, I think I'll go with vodka with soda or seltzer, over crushed ice. No carbs and least likely to affect my better judgement in other matters.

Remember that your alcohol tolerance may be lower than usual. I discovered that when I had my first drink after 3 weeks of keto. One cocktail and I was feeling buzzed.

More alcohol may impair your judgement and your faculties to make good choices.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    This is a great post. Thank you for all the tips. I just started today. I think it will be so much easier than low carb or keto....I LOVE all meats, except organ meats.

One question....do you also count calories? Because I am finding meats have a lot of calories and it's putting me over by a lot.

I am currently counting calories and macros, but have them set high so that I eat to satisfaction but am planning to stop doing that once I have settled into it properly and just eat till I am full.