Fumpy diary

Options
Fumpydink
Fumpydink Posts: 49 Member
Hi guys

Decided to give this a go, I used to eat like this when I was much thinner. I've been edging towards this for the last couple of days and managed to get to one meal yesterday so will use yesterday as official start date. I tried to start last year I think but ended up having to do a lot of travelling and I don't think I got into the swing of it enough to maintain it while away. I'm on holiday in three weeks (but its just me and my husband so no family etc to explain to) so will see if I can maintain it through that (i dont have a good track record on holding back on holidays but will do my best). I tried the 5:2 thing but tbh i found it fiddly and didn't do too well with the 500 cal thing. Will update this after week 1

Starting weight: 179.4
Height: 5ft 2in
Goal: for the moment is under 140lbs

Replies

• vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Fumpydink!
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Thanks vrojapu, are you omad as well?

I'm still working on getting my window down. Yesterday it ended up being dinner and then a snack, i think that was in a three hour window. Today have managed my one hour window. Only problem I'm having is how full I'm getting, So far cals have been between 850-1300 over the last few days, but I find myself feeling utterly stuffed. I'm thinking about reducing my portion sizes as i dont want to get too used to big portions, but I don't want to go too low cal as I think it would be counter productive for me. The other option is eating loads of nuts (which is a good option). Mainly though I want to make sure I get at least 50g protein into every meal. Will think on it. Had a quick peak at scales and am down 2.2lbs which isn't too shabby three days in.
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Also should mention that through the day I drink tea with unsweetened almond milk, i think over the day its about 29 calories so not overly worried about it. Will try to switch out a few cups with herbal tea going forward.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think the protein is important. I think it makes it easier to come back the next day and fast. I like getting full. That is one reason this type of diet works for me. Lots of small meals is a non-starter for me and once I start eating, it is hard not to keep eating tell full hence I need a short eating window or I'm likely to overeat. Good luck!
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The first few days I was OMAD ing I found it really difficult to get through my meal, but a lot of that was because I was eating a lot of non calorie dense food as I had been when I was eating all day. Now I switched to more calorie dense foods with plenty of protein and while I'm still definitely full by the end of my meal, not uncomfortably so.
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. So yesterday I made spaghetti bolognese with loads of parmesan and ragu which came up to about 850 cals and then ate a scoop of ice cream and some fruit to bring it up to about 1200 calories. On reflection I think the best thing to do is just focus on getting the protein in as you guys say and not to worry about the calories. The splurge day should push up the calorie average anyway and also to be frank my problem is obviously too many calories not too few over the last few years. I also don't want to spend too much time obsessing ober calories, I turn into a food weighing nutcase and last time it led to me snapping after losing three stone and gaining everything back due to diet fatigue. I am just going to stop counting calories unless i get to a point where I have to.

I think I also need to stop weighing myself. I had a small gain this morning which led to angry eating a bowl of alpen which made me downright sleepy. It was a really irrational response but I think my weight is totally an emotional issue for me. Need to see this as a slow but easy way of losing weight. The pluses are brilliant, I seem to naturally eat a lot less and I don't really have to count calories if the last few days are anything to go by.

Ok so instead of couting calories and weighing myself am going to try to step back and take the stress out of this.

Thanks for the help!!
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fumpydink wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys. So yesterday I made spaghetti bolognese with loads of parmesan and ragu which came up to about 850 cals and then ate a scoop of ice cream and some fruit to bring it up to about 1200 calories. On reflection I think the best thing to do is just focus on getting the protein in as you guys say and not to worry about the calories. The splurge day should push up the calorie average anyway and also to be frank my problem is obviously too many calories not too few over the last few years. I also don't want to spend too much time obsessing ober calories, I turn into a food weighing nutcase and last time it led to me snapping after losing three stone and gaining everything back due to diet fatigue. I am just going to stop counting calories unless i get to a point where I have to.

I think I also need to stop weighing myself. I had a small gain this morning which led to angry eating a bowl of alpen which made me downright sleepy. It was a really irrational response but I think my weight is totally an emotional issue for me. Need to see this as a slow but easy way of losing weight. The pluses are brilliant, I seem to naturally eat a lot less and I don't really have to count calories if the last few days are anything to go by.

Ok so instead of couting calories and weighing myself am going to try to step back and take the stress out of this.

Thanks for the help!!

Welcome and I'm so glad you're here. This is such a new way of thinking and living as we'll be learning more and more what works and what doesn't. I so know what you mean about getting all of the cals in, but what's so terrific about Omad and the advice from the "old-timers" is for us not to worry so much about cals and stuff in the beginning, to get used to the idea of one meal per day, and as time goes on we'll figure out what's working and what's not. I just figured out last week how to get more cals in and not be so low by adding a dessert that I'm really loving and is good for me. The other thing I love about Omad is it recognizing and honors that we're all so very different and what works for some, may or may not work for others. I love that!!!

Thank you also for being so encouraging too, again, I'm so glad you're here--WELCOME :)
  • caradack1985
    Options
    The advantage of OMAD is that it's really hard to eat too many calories when you're eating within an hour window! So I'd take a step back on calorie counting and concentrate on making sure you're getting enough protein, that will keep you going through your fasting period. Diet fatigue is definitely a thing, today is my "splurge" day for the week, but I still eat within calories and having to try and work out calories three meals a day and see what I have left for dinner is exhausting, much easier to only have to think about one meal!! Keep at it and keep posting.
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys! Really appreciate it, I've been scouring peoples advice and arguablysamsons posts (shout out to you my friend for putting this forum together and making so much info available).

So as per advice I have got my husband to put my scales somewhere I can't reach them and feel pretty relaxed now. Didn't bother counting calories yesterday, had a puy lentil and halloumi salad dinner with grapes for dessert (very nice). I think getting adequate protein in is still a challenge I am getting to grips with so will try to meal plan accordingly. Made some home made harissa paste for a chicken dinner tonight which I am looking forward too.

I think letting go of the numbers is definately better for me and I was done eating within an hour yesterday. I think I managed to hit an hour perhaps three times within the last week (have been messing around with my window before i started my diary).

I have already planned dinners for this week (i do this to reduce food waste at home). So for next week will put together a more protein heavy menu. weigh in is on thursday, but in the trying to sort out my windows thing from the week before I started my diary, I had already come down from abour 182lbs so am not expecting a massive loss, would be happy with 2lbs.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    Good news, I still struggle to get enough protein in according to my macros but I'm fairly sure some items agents getting counted properly on that. Like yesterday I had a beef lasagne with sweet potato mash and a green smoothie then some dark chocolate covered Brazil nuts after, but apparently I only got just over half my protein allowance? I think it was probably higher than that!
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Lasagne... Nom nom! Yeah I've been hitting about 50-60g. I don't want to do protein shakes as i literally can't eat straight after having one and am too full and I'm in the middle east at the mo and protein shakes are EXPENSIVE here. Will see if there are any changes in my appetite in the next few weeks. TBH i havent been exercising (cos I'm a slug) so not too worried yet but am intending to start (at some point) once I'm feeling a bit more bouncy. I'm not hungry just a bit tired but I think this will wear off. It is quite difficult to get everything in without being totally stuffed. How much protein are you aiming to get in cara?

I think this will be another 1 hour meal day and weigh in tomorrow (may the gods of the scales be good to me). It's getting easier, fingers crossed that it stays this way!

• caradack1985
    Options
    I can't even remember, it's supposed to be something like 50g a day I think. Hold on and I'll look at my macros for the last few days.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    It had me aiming for 68g of protein a day, no wonder I never hit it! I've changed it to 50g a day and upped my fat allowance a bit as I always go over on fat.
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    ahhhh makes sense! i've been thinking I need to push my protein into the 60g range. i think I'll leave myself be for a while and then try to sneak some more protein in later once I start exercising. But i think perhaps 50g is reasonable for a woman.
  • OMADing1
    Options
    ahhhh makes sense! i've been thinking I need to push my protein into the 60g range. i think I'll leave myself be for a while and then try to sneak some more protein in later once I start exercising. But i think perhaps 50g is reasonable for a woman.

I so don't get the whole "macros" thing, no matter how simple I've read it is, I still don't get it for some reason.
    I just gage my carbs, fats, proteins via the food diary thingy. Since I'm not working out, I have my "macros?" set at
    Carbs 20% (67g), Fats 60% (89g) and proteins 20% (67g). Hahahah, I don't have a clue what any of this means, just look at the numbers in red/green after I complete my meals for the day (which pre-plan too). Everyone is different though and what works for some won't necessarily work for other. This is one reason I LOVE Omad, because it doesn't put everyone is the "one size/way fits all" category. I've tried to lose weight for YEARS trying to fit in the "they say" box and it has never worked for me or I was too miserable to finish what I was starting. Omad is so natural to/for me. It fits the "rhythm" of my entire life so perfectly. I've got some ways to go, but plan on eating this way for the rest of my life!
  • OMADing1
    edited August 2016
    Options

I so don't get the whole "macros" thing, no matter how simple I've read it is, I still don't get it for some reason. I just gage my carbs, fats, proteins via the food diary thingy. Since I'm not working out, I have my "macros?" set at Carbs 20% (67g), Fats 60% (89g) and proteins 20% (67g) 1340 cals daily with NO Exercise. Hahahah, I don't have a clue what any of this means, just look at the numbers in red/green after I complete my meals for the day (which pre-plan too). Everyone is different though and what works for some won't necessarily work for other. This is one reason I LOVE Omad, because it doesn't put everyone is the "one size/way fits all" category. I've tried to lose weight for YEARS trying to fit in the "they say" box and it has never worked for me or I was too miserable to finish what I was starting. Omad is so natural to/for me. It fits the "rhythm" of my entire life so perfectly. also LOVE the one hour window to eat, because after my meal I'm stuffed, but after 30 minutes I'm ready for my protein dessert. I like that so much, because Omad is also teaching me to TAKE MY TIME EATING, whereas before Omad I'd always scarf my food down like an animal or something--no more! I've got some ways to go, but plan on eating this way for the rest of my life!

• Fumpydink
    Options
    Edampu, you are absolutely right! I have never felt so comfortable with not counting everything I'm eating (not bashing calorie counting here). I had to quit because it was getting really stressful and I can be a bit obsessive, like literally taking a tiny bit of courgette back etc. I totally get what you say about ticking off the boxes, spent so much time trying to make sure i did stuff "right" and it ended up backfiring on me because I got exhausted. I remember the day I snapped after losing 3 stone, i literally burst i to tears and then went to starbucks. Within three months I had gained it all back. It was sooooo unhealthy for me to try to control every morsel, banning this food and that food trying to shove it into my macros etc turning down dinner dates with my husband because I couldn't afford calories/carbs whatever, trying to divide up calories over the day in the right amount.

This feels really freeing. I don't know how this is going to pan out for me but right now I feel like I'm in a good place. I haven't weighed any food in weeks (again not bashing anyone who does but for me its a total no no). Main thing about the protein for me is that i want to start exercising and want to make sure my protein os in the right place to sustain that. Apart from that meh.

I totally think whatever anyone does has to work for them and both physically and mentally. Some people can do three meals a day some like low carb etc. I've done loads of diets which demanded such mental energy that I just couldn't do it anymore. I don't know if OMAD is going to work for me (i know it did when i was younger) but as i said for right now it suits me fine.

• Fumpydink
    Options
    Just want to share this with you guys

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/harissa-51185010

Reallllllly good... I'll confess to doubling the recipe and using the whole batch to marinade two chicken breast overnight. Served with couscous (made with veg stock) with lots of stirfried courgette cubes and garlic. This is on my staple dinner list now.
  • Fumpydink
    Options
    Also if anyone wants to try the recipe I didn't bother peeling the peppers, I just chopped it all up and used a stick blender.
  • caradack1985
    Options
    Who has time to peel peppers?