Fumpy diary

Replies

• Fumpydink
    Fumpydink Posts: 49 Member
    I just had a downright lovely meal, so satisfying! Still a bit too full but will just work on portion sizes
  • Fumpydink
    I've just been watching joe's "if i had to do OMAD all over again" video and it really reinforced the fact that worrying about the detail right now isn't important (thanks joe!). It made me feel quite calm, he's right, we do have it easy. We're thinking about eating a baguette with cheese in the middle, worrying about being too full etc Puts things in perspective.

Anyone who hasn't watched the OMAD videos on youtube shoud def make some time to do so.
  • Fumpydink
    Who has time to peel peppers?

Too right! Why waste pepper!
  • Fumpydink
    Starting weight 179.4lbs
    Week 1: 177
    Loss 2.4lbs

Pretty happy with that, it's tempting to go "more more" or why didn't I get a massive first week drop but this is the way my body rolls yo! Also any drop is movement in the right direction! I have hypothyroidism and pcos so no point in moaning, especially since I have morphed into a sloth.

First real aim for me is to get into the 160's. Having the scales out of reach is definately the way to go for me. This week is tightening up that window, I think I mentioned that I didn't hit an hour every day. So carry on not weighing, not counting calories ( i have done a few rough calculations to ease myself into it but i dont need to) and just stick to my 1 hour.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Good work :) 2.4lbs is a good loss.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Excellent loss. My ex had hypothyroidism and PCOS. You're doing super.
  • Fumpydink
    Thanks guys! I think for me it's going to be slow and steady and thats ok, am expecting it to go down to 1lb a week. Downwards trends! My husband lost about 20lbs in a year just making small changes and barely weighing himself, whereas I got chubbier. I think it's because i was always looking for a quick fix which then blew up in my face whereas everything he does is sustainable for him. Lesson learned!

I think what I like about this is I'm pretty sure I have some blood sugar control problems related to pcos. My ac1 test at docs was very healthy. Problem is when I've used a blood suagr monitor it takes a really long time for my blood sugar to go down after a meal. My husband and i charted a comparison and the difference was stark. Diabetes runs in my fathers family and it's something I'm keen to avoid, so keeping insulin levels at a reasonable level is important but I would prefer not to have to dramatically change my diet to do it. Main thing is weight loss and reducing blood sugar spikes over time.

I am having a splurge day today as i'm regularly below 900 cals and last few days below 800 and am feeling really pooped this morning. I think I will do splurges on weigh in days going forward. May change my weigh in day in a few weeks to coincide with the weekend so my husband can do me a breakfast fry up (bless him he's always offering and I'm always saying no) or we can have lunch out.
  • Fumpydink
    Soooo splurge day...

Think I made some mistakes today, firstly I definitely shouldn't eat ice cream in the middle of the day, makes me too sleepy. Secondly I need to plan an actual meal, I ended up eating belvita biscuits and I don't even like them.

I did notice after my carb bomb lunch that my temperature went up quite quickly. This was actually quite good, it feels like my thyroid is being kicked back into gear and I warmed up quite a lot which was good. So I think i will focus on carbs on splurge day as I think it does my body good. Also watched joe's video and it made a lot of sense to me. I think away from the refined carbs a bit and a bit more of the complex carb next time.

I had initially thought I would not do splurge days. However with me accepting that there is no way I'm going to get in 1000+ cals on OMAD days without being in pain and horribly uncomfortable I would rather do reasonable meals that make me happy during the week and just have one day of eating once a week to make sure cals aren't too low. I think I posted this else where but it's odd how easily I fill up on OMAD days whereas When I was eating throughout the day I could have easily plowed through over a 1000 calories in the evening. It doesn't really make much sense that i am more full on fewer calories by the end of the day. Lunch + 1000 calories = "could do with a bit more food...ohh is that cake" vs fasting + 1000 calorie dinner = "darling call an ambulance, I think I need my stomach pumped". And I am by no means a delicate eater, I can out eat my husband and he's about 6ft. I think I'm one of those people who once they start eating just don't stop just nibbling away all the time. I probably have some sort of freudian oral fixation.

Another thing, on splurge day it's really weird how much I don't really care about what I'm eating LOL. Any other time I would have planned out in advance what I want to eat and lovingly cooked it (or ordered it) and would have been looking forward to it all week. Because I can eat whateverI want, this splurge day has been more like "whats eaaasy... That'll do". It feels like I'm just doing it to fill up calories and get a little energy not really with any great sense of anticipation or excitement. Which is actually fantastic. I look forward to my dinners during the week because I'm actually hungry, I really savour my food and enjoy every last bit of it. It's a bit sad to think I haven't really been appreciating what I eat for so long in the way I have in the last week or so.

So the round up is. DON'T EAT ICE CREAM DURING THE DAY and have some sort of plan for splurge day with complex carbs, I've got to about 1300 calories and really can't eat anything else cos I've filled up on junk basically, 1 scoop ice cream, loads of belvita biscuits and 100g cheese (the cheese is fine as far as I'm concerned good ol kerrygold). So next time I think I will make something that I can sit down and properly enjoy instead of grabbing stuff thats just lying around.

Also quick note, idea of a takeout just doen't sound good to me and I likes me takeouts. I wish that would happen with sugar.

• Fumpydink
    I think perhaps my appetite has reduced and maybe thats why I really don't want to eat anymore today. Please please please let this be the case!
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Fumpydink wrote: »
    Starting weight 179.4lbs
    Week 1: 177
    Loss 2.4lbs

Pretty happy with that, it's tempting to go "more more" or why didn't I get a massive first week drop but this is the way my body rolls yo! Also any drop is movement in the right direction! I have hypothyroidism and pcos so no point in moaning, especially since I have morphed into a sloth.

First real aim for me is to get into the 160's. Having the scales out of reach is definately the way to go for me. This week is tightening up that window, I think I mentioned that I didn't hit an hour every day. So carry on not weighing, not counting calories ( i have done a few rough calculations to ease myself into it but i dont need to) and just stick to my 1 hour.

Wow, that's nothing less than tremendous--you go girl!
  • OMADing1
    Thanks guys! I think for me it's going to be slow and steady and thats ok, am expecting it to go down to 1lb a week. Downwards trends! My husband lost about 20lbs in a year just making small changes and barely weighing himself, whereas I got chubbier. I think it's because i was always looking for a quick fix which then blew up in my face whereas everything he does is sustainable for him. Lesson learned!

I think what I like about this is I'm pretty sure I have some blood sugar control problems related to pcos. My ac1 test at docs was very healthy. Problem is when I've used a blood suagr monitor it takes a really long time for my blood sugar to go down after a meal. My husband and i charted a comparison and the difference was stark. Diabetes runs in my fathers family and it's something I'm keen to avoid, so keeping insulin levels at a reasonable level is important but I would prefer not to have to dramatically change my diet to do it. Main thing is weight loss and reducing blood sugar spikes over time.

I am having a splurge day today as i'm regularly below 900 cals and last few days below 800 and am feeling really pooped this morning. I think I will do splurges on weigh in days going forward. May change my weigh in day in a few weeks to coincide with the weekend so my husband can do me a breakfast fry up (bless him he's always offering and I'm always saying no) or we can have lunch out.

Love your attitude, you are so smart to understand that slow and steady wins the race. Enjoy your splurge day!
  • OMADing1
    I think perhaps my appetite has reduced and maybe thats why I really don't want to eat anymore today. Please please please let this be the case!

It is the case. Omading has totally changed my hunger/appetite. I'm so glad I no longer feel a slave to snacking! Having a truly empty stomach on Omad is no where like having cravings and thinking my stomach was empty and it wasn't. It was all the sugar other stuff I was addicted to that was tricking me into thinking I was hungry. You're doing great!!!!!

• Fumpydink
    Thanks edampu, I keep just thinking in a year I'll be kicking myself if I chucked it in. To be honest though it doesn't feel like a strain, it's so easy that it doesn't feel like i'm doing anything really. A lb a week for next to no hassle is worth it. I think I'm done with pushing myself to have unattainable diets. It's still tempting to think ohhh i could lose faster but that thinking is what got me here. I need to keep focussed on what the results will be next year and the year after rather than the next week.
  • Fumpydink
    Okey so i ended up my splurge day at about 2300 calories. Now I have said I'm not counting calories (which to me usually means weighing and loggin everything) but I have been doing ballpark figures. this should take me up to about 1100 per day average this week. Am umming at ahhing about the calorie counting thing at the moment. I know roughly how much I am eating but not down to every single last calorie, eating one meal a day makes that a bit easier.

I think I might just do ballpark figures and then it will give me an idea of how much a splurge day should be roughly to keep my average at a reasonable level. I am trying to mAke sure the eating is in as wide a window as possible to have a complete break from fasting. I think next week I will do three meals.

Odd thing, Even after eating all that I'm still ending the evening feeling hungrier than I do on OMAD days (usually def not hungry). Very interesting, anyone else feel that way?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edampu wrote: »

It is the case. Omading has totally changed my hunger/appetite. I'm so glad I no longer feel a slave to snacking! Having a truly empty stomach on Omad is no where like having cravings and thinking my stomach was empty and it wasn't. It was all the sugar other stuff I was addicted to that was tricking me into thinking I was hungry. You're doing great!!!!!

You are so right and that has been my experience too!
  • blambo61
    Okey so i ended up my splurge day at about 2300 calories. Now I have said I'm not counting calories (which to me usually means weighing and loggin everything) but I have been doing ballpark figures. this should take me up to about 1100 per day average this week. Am umming at ahhing about the calorie counting thing at the moment. I know roughly how much I am eating but not down to every single last calorie, eating one meal a day makes that a bit easier.

I think I might just do ballpark figures and then it will give me an idea of how much a splurge day should be roughly to keep my average at a reasonable level. I am trying to mAke sure the eating is in as wide a window as possible to have a complete break from fasting. I think next week I will do three meals.

Odd thing, Even after eating all that I'm still ending the evening feeling hungrier than I do on OMAD days (usually def not hungry). Very interesting, anyone else feel that way?

My experience is when I don't eat OMAD my stomach doesn't shrink as much and I can eat a lot more for dinner than if I was fasted! So if I do a 16:8 type of break, I have to be careful because not only am I getting the cals from the lunch but also more from a larger dinner. I don't think you are alone in your observation.
  • blambo61

When I started OMAD, I counted calories but after a couple of months got tired of the time it took to do it and so I stopped. I still lost weight so I didn't care if I counted or not. It was eye opening for me though to see how many calories different foods had and I'm glad to have done it to learn that. Counting calories is like making a whole bunch of decisions all the time. Eating OMAD style is like making all those decisions at once. Much more simple! If not counting calories and doing OMAD result in no weight loss for a period of time, then I think calories should be counted because there is probably not a calorie deficit going on. I eat in a three hour window and even in that short of a window, I can get a calorie surplus if I try!:). The one-plate rule is like even making up more decisions all at once and helps to keep eating at a deficit.

My splurge days are exactly that and there is no limit for me or it wouldn't feel like a splurge day to me. I dont worry about how much I eat because I don't think the body can put on weight that fast and will just excrete it. For the same reason, I don't worry about eating a lot on Holidays or special occasions. I will sometimes limit splurge day eating thoug to start eating at lunch but once I start, I'm free to do whatever. I have grown to eat mostly good foods though so I don't think this attitude/practice hurts me much but I will gain 3-lbs on a splurge day but it will be gone in two more days of OMAD and drinking a lot of water. Just some of my observations.
  • Fumpydink
    Thanks for your thoughts blambo! I think for me because calorie counting became obsessive I need to watch it and not start weighing food.i think on splurge day I was thinking i had to eat to up my calories, I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. btw this is not typical for me usually i'm delighted with a day of stuffing down pasta and ice cream. Will see how I go next splurge day
  • Fumpydink
    Tough day today, getting there, ate dinner at 7:30pm but ate ice cream a few hours after and really struggled to get to 7:30. Will keep on keeping on, it will fall into place properly soon.
  • Fumpydink
    No more splurge days for a while I think.