They are so indoctrinated. ;)

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Family road trip. I'm trying to survive and stick to keto as much as possible.
At a stop, I picked up a bag of pork cracklings. (Seriously, until I joined this group, I never would have imagined I'd ever eat pork rinds or cracklins.) I let each of my 7y/o's try a few.
My little guy who has decided he's "mid carb" asked me, "Are these healthy? Do they have a lot of carbs?"
I told him how many grams each of carbs (zero), fat and protein. His response? "Mmm! Sounds healthy!"
I know no one outside of this group who would describe pork cracklings as healthy and this definitely flies in the face of the nutrition info they're taught at school. I love him, and you guys! Glad I have him indoctrinated now. ;)

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten all about pork rinds until I started keto. They are legitimately amazing, and actually pretty versatile. Sometimes I'll take a whole bag, dump a tsp of cinnamon and some walnuts in, and instant dinner.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Pork Rinds are an ez snack for me if not in the mood for my usual celery, pickles or Boullion, happy to say I liked them even before this woe. Now occasionally add hot sauce and black pepper.

Here in South Fl many types are sold with all those additional seasonings already added-in. Lovely crunch.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Pork Rinds are an ez snack for me if not in the mood for my usual celery, pickles or Boullion, happy to say I liked them even before this woe. Now occasionally add hot sauce and black pepper.

Here in South Fl many types are sold with all those additional seasonings already added-in. Lovely crunch.

We have many different local kinds too. Spicy and what not. I only enjoy them about once a year though. I wish I liked them more.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Haha, my son has been starting with that, too. Right now, it's whether something is "too much sugar." It's very rudimentary, but if it means he's starting to choose a not-so-sweet snack/treat over a sugary one, I'll take it. (Thankfully, he doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, so I don't have to worry too much about him when it comes to cookies, cake, etc., but chips are his downfall. I need to find a way to get more sodium into that child, because that's been an ongoing problem with him.)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Family road trip. I'm trying to survive and stick to keto as much as possible.
    At a stop, I picked up a bag of pork cracklings. (Seriously, until I joined this group, I never would have imagined I'd ever eat pork rinds or cracklins.) I let each of my 7y/o's try a few.
    My little guy who has decided he's "mid carb" asked me, "Are these healthy? Do they have a lot of carbs?"
    I told him how many grams each of carbs (zero), fat and protein. His response? "Mmm! Sounds healthy!"
    I know no one outside of this group who would describe pork cracklings as healthy and this definitely flies in the face of the nutrition info they're taught at school. I love him, and you guys! Glad I have him indoctrinated now. ;)

Love this story and I have a huge smile because of it. Earlier last month I was so worried about my kids, especially my older and her general health and now she's on board and even here on MFP with us. My younger is not so interested and I really thought she'd be easier to show this way... meh. Shayla (she's 11) wants to eat the things I'm eating but still wants all the carbs too!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Well done! My kids are a little older, teens & young adults, and it's taking quite a bit of effort to win them over. Wish I would have started them young.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Oh how I miss Blizzards!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    That is funny! My son is 19. He went vegan at 14 and switched to vegetarian at 16. I wish he would turn carnivore. I have so much carb junk in my house because of him. I thought it would be a phase but it really stuck.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    My 16 year old daughter joined me on the low carb train this past week :) She's starting at an arts high school in September and said she didn't want to go there "all fat and stuff" so she started grilling me on what to eat and what not to eat. She's got quite a sweet tooth, so it could be challenging for her, but she's also coming to the gym with me and learning to lift which is super fun :)

Start em young! Wish I was started lifting when I was young. I was super in the era of the cardio bunny and you had to be supermodel thin though. I will be the first to tell someone that cardio sucks lol. LIFT ALL THE WEIGHTS!

@samanthaluangphixay - I lifted weights in high school, but as soon as I got cut from varsity volleyball, I stopped weight training. I swear, if I knew then what I know now, I would have put down all the sugary stuff I used to get through and totally changed my whole universe! LOL
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hmm... pork rinds sound good, but everything sounds good. Has anyone tried them with either cheese (like nacho cheese) or sour cream?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hmm... pork rinds sound good, but everything sounds good. Has anyone tried them with either cheese (like nacho cheese) or sour cream?

I'm not a pork rind fan, but pork rinds and nacho cheese sounds really good...
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    We use them as breadcrumbs for coating stuff before baking. But pork rinds and sour cream dip? Sounds yummy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@midwesterner85 I've done them with French Onion Dip, Guacamole, homemade Queso, and homemade Ranch dip. All are AWESOMENESS INCARNATE.