They are so indoctrinated. ;)

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    We use them as breadcrumbs for coating stuff before baking. But pork rinds and sour cream dip? Sounds yummy.

low carb breading sounds like a good use as well.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I actually convinced my local carnitas (pork) taco place to make a carnitas nacho plate :) Its homemade chicharrones loaded with carnitas (pulled pork), guacamole, pico de gallo and crema (sour cream). Its delicious! He liked it so much he said he will put it on his menu :)

That sounds epic...you gave me some ideas for dinner tonight. Thanks!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hmm... pork rinds sound good, but everything sounds good. Has anyone tried them with either cheese (like nacho cheese) or sour cream?

Oh yes .I use sourcream with onion as a dip, or an asiago artichoke dip. Porkrinds plain are just not fun.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Isn't the protein in pork rinds unusable though? Could have sworn I read that they actually weren't a source of protein.. I'll be back, doing research n stuff.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Did some research.. Seems the protein isn't a complete chain, which is why they put a disclaimer on the bag. Some sites say that due to the incomplete nature of the chain it gets converted to carbs, but other sites don't include that bit, so no real way to verify it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    Did some research.. Seems the protein isn't a complete chain, which is why they put a disclaimer on the bag. Some sites say that due to the incomplete nature of the chain it gets converted to carbs, but other sites don't include that bit, so no real way to verify it.

Whoa. I've never heard that and don't totally understand it.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think it isn't so much about protein as it is about fat re: the pork rinds.
    BTW, does anyone know of a Canadian source of NON-MSG'd pork rinds? Or online? I haven't been able to find any and I can't eat them because I need to be gluten free.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    Isn't the protein in pork rinds unusable though? Could have sworn I read that they actually weren't a source of protein.. I'll be back, doing research n stuff.

It's fully usable protein, but it's not a complete protein source. There are one or two essential amino acids missing (I forget which ones).

Alas, one cannot live on pork rinds alone. Just as vegans cannot live on beans alone and must compliment them with rice.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread.

I have been eating natural foods for a while, by natural I mean plants and actual cuts of meat, not processed stuff.

It is naturally low carb. By skipping mushy beans it is easy to be low carb. Meat has lots of protein and some fat so it all works out. It is easier to keep the calories down to a reasonable level with all of the fiber from veggies.

It has been nice to see my daughter work out doing boot camp with some friends and switch to a similar natural foods diet.

Getting rid of junk processed food like cake and doughnuts and ground up floor sweepings in sausage casings, she also feels healthier and had lost some weight.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I think it isn't so much about protein as it is about fat re: the pork rinds.
    BTW, does anyone know of a Canadian source of NON-MSG'd pork rinds? Or online? I haven't been able to find any and I can't eat them because I need to be gluten free.

@canadjineh I found some at no frills. I'll take a pic of the bag for you and post it in a few minutes. Just laying in bed still. Lazy Sunday.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It must just be me but the taste of pork rinds: not bad, the smell: yuck!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    It must just be me but the taste of pork rinds: not bad, the smell: yuck!

I broke the habit of smelling foods before eating them, back when I started trying some of the more "exotic" cheeses. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Hmm... pork rinds sound good, but everything sounds good. Has anyone tried them with either cheese (like nacho cheese) or sour cream?

I'm not a pork rind fan, but pork rinds and nacho cheese sounds really good...

Pork rind nachos are DELICIOUS, but they aren't an appetizer. I'm so full I could burst. I do the whole 9 yards with mine: ground beef, cheddar-jack, sour cream, onions, peppers, and salsa. And sometimes guac. I'm getting full thinking about it. So yummy.

I might actually do that tonight. We're having chili. Since it's my higher calorie day, I'll probably put the chili over a bed of them, melt some cheddar, and plop some sour cream. NOM!

@baconslave - I have to just load them up with a spoon (they break when dipping), because if I make nachos, they get mega soggy, which to me is mega-gross. How do you avoid this, or do you just dig in with a spoon?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Pork rind nachos are DELICIOUS, but they aren't an appetizer. I'm so full I could burst. I do the whole 9 yards with mine: ground beef, cheddar-jack, sour cream, onions, peppers, and salsa. And sometimes guac. I'm getting full thinking about it. So yummy.

I might actually do that tonight. We're having chili. Since it's my higher calorie day, I'll probably put the chili over a bed of them, melt some cheddar, and plop some sour cream. NOM!

@baconslave - I have to just load them up with a spoon (they break when dipping), because if I make nachos, they get mega soggy, which to me is mega-gross. How do you avoid this, or do you just dig in with a spoon?

I just make a bed, melt the cheese on them for about 30 sec. Then add everything else after, as in I heat anything else that needs it heated separately. TBH, they don't really last long enough to get soggy in my case. My hands get messy, but it's delicious enough to overlook that annoyance. Yep. I'm a savage. :lol:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say that pork rinds with cream cheese is pretty dang good!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I make a cream cheese dip for my rinds - 8 ounces cream cheese, chives, bacon, ham or salami, a little Worcestershire sauce and salt/pepper. Add ingredients to your taste. I sometimes shred some sharp cheddar and add to it as well. Blend up and good to go! Because I can't dip the rinds, I just spread it on with a knife.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I just make a bed, melt the cheese on them for about 30 sec. Then add everything else after, as in I heat anything else that needs it heated separately. TBH, they don't really last long enough to get soggy in my case. My hands get messy, but it's delicious enough to overlook that annoyance. Yep. I'm a savage. :lol:

Caveman eating, best eating. It's why I love those huge *kitten* turkey legs you can buy at theme parks.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @AngInCanada - the local No Frills is the only place I can find the pork rinds, but they have MSG :( Maybe because ours only has the Garlic flavoured ones - perhaps their spice mix is the problem. No plain ones in sight :(