augus[t] someone should make a new daily workout thread then

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow Kerryatoon, you are killing it! Way to go!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Break Week

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5 x35
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles

My sister-in-law is going to be here for the remainder of the week and we have very early morning and late night activities planned. I am taking a week break from my strong lift weightlifting program and will be swinging my Kettlebell instead.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Squat 5x5 at 60
    OHP 5x5 at 50
    DL 5x1 at 105 woohoo- this felt great today!
    Barbell curls 2x8 at 20
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    they must have forgotten to turn on the headwind. i was unlocking my door, bike parked and all, within 38 minutes of leaving work. crushed pretty much all of my milestones, although i don't think i'm ready to call this repeatable yet.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 2

10/8/16
    Squats 30 kg (66 lbs) 5*5

O.Press 20 kg (44 lbs) 5*5

Deadlift 47 kg (103.6 lbs) 5*1

Machine workouts:

Lat. Pull down 10 kg(22 lbs) 10X3
    Biceps Pull 10 kg (22 lbs) 10X3

Today workout was pretty good. Time to up the plates now.
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I have started back at Stronglifts after doing NROL.. I really struggle getting any improvement on Bench Presses, and failed my last round.. Any tips on how to work on them?!

Thanks
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Squat 5x5 @ 95
    Bench 5x5 @ 62.5 but I failed two reps (one in each of the last two sets)
    Row 5x5 @ 55 lb. Form felt good.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Workout B
    Deadlifts 115 lbs 4x6
    OHP 43 lbs 4/6

Kettlebell Swings 21x10x25
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I have started back at Stronglifts after doing NROL.. I really struggle getting any improvement on Bench Presses, and failed my last round.. Any tips on how to work on them?!

Thanks

There's lots of good info out there regarding form. I find that I bench a lot better since I learned to keep my lower body (legs, butt, abs) tight and engage. So it's almost like pushing with my whole body and not just chest. Maybe some more experienced lifters can chime in. :)

• Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I didn't post my workout from yesterday. I stayed on the same OHP weight (60lbs) that I've been on the last few times, and this time I failed. Over and over. I don't know what's going on with me. I know I'm very anemic and it was late at night so maybe I was just too tired. Rocked squats and deadlift though although they both felt very hard.

Squat: 2x5@45, 1x3@75, 5x5@110lbs
    OHP: 1x5/4/3/2/0@60lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5@150lbs

I used to add accessories but found that doing that does not help me increase weight on the core compounds. So no accessories for now.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Thanks

Do your feet touch the ground? I struggle with bench press because my feet barely touch the ground so my back is all out of alignment. Last time I benched I put an aerobics step at the base of the bench for my feet and it really helped.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Bench Day

band pull aparts - 3x10
    bench - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 4x5 @ 90
    chin ups - 2, 2, 1, 1
    cable curls - 3x10 @ 30
    face pulls - 3x8 @ 35
    bent over row - 3x8 @ 80

Bench is getting better. Am at the weight I was supposed to use at the start of this cycle so can start moving forward and work down to smaller reps and higher weights. I'm doing bench 2 days a week so won't increase each time but hopefully it helps since it's hard to increase on the upper body lifts. Need to do chin ups more cause not making progress at this point and maybe do them as part of warm up for bench or something. Hoping to switch to pendlay rows in the future but might have to wait until I get a better gym as the stacked plate setup isn't great in this small space and limited equipment location. Talked again about trainer session and they supposedly called but I can't always answer my phone and no one left a message. Might set up for Saturday as it's my next day off though. We'll see.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow, loads to catch up on! I've not lifted since the weekend, until today, although have done spin and bodycombat, so not slumming it entirely!

Today I lifted before work:

SQ 5x5 @75kg - first time I've got all 5 sets at this weight - did 3 reps at 77.5kgs at the end just to see what it was like, and will start working on this weight properly next time.

BP 5x5 @42.5kgs - not sure how I'm going to improve on this as I still find it really tough for the last rep of each set! I shall persevere and will maybe try doing one set at 45kgs next time....

Rows - 5/4/4/5/5 @50kgs. Messy and not great. Second time of failure at this weight so may be glad of the deload.

Then 12 mins intervals on the rower, and some press-ups. I'm done!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bmoremama wrote: »

Thanks

Do your feet touch the ground? I struggle with bench press because my feet barely touch the ground so my back is all out of alignment. Last time I benched I put an aerobics step at the base of the bench for my feet and it really helped.

If your feet barely touch the ground, try putting plate on the ground so you can get your feet down. I push through my feet on bench engaging my entire body. It helps a lot.

Since we're all speaking of bench, I did my workout yesterday and failed bench horrible! But I'm on a cut and I was tired yesterday so, whatever. At least I crushed the other stuff.

Squats - 5x5 @ 130 - 10 lbs away from my previous weight from before messing my hip up!
    Bench - 5/5/3/4/2 @ 100 - bleh! I actually dropped an f bomb in the gym on one of the fails. Whoops! But on the plus side I got to practice my roll of death a lot hahah. I'm pretty confident I will not be killed by the barbell if I can't make a rep without a spot.
    Row - 5x5 @ 105
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Jumping in since I started running SL for a little while to get my strength up after completing a couple of other programs.

Week 3, Day 2

Squat 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @85, 5x5 @125
    Bench Press - 2x5 @45, 4/5/5/5/5 @ 65
    Row - 5x5 @ 80
    Dips - 8/7/6 @ BW
    Skullcrushers - 2x10 @ 20

@dawnembers - I am in awe of the amount you lift at your height. How much do you weigh? And how long did it take you to get your strength to that level?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Kettlebell Swings 22x10x25
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    my ninety pound bench press has been done. very little of anything else was, and i've used up the last of my rec centre visits so need to make a new plan this weekend.

but i did my 5/3/1 bench. 70/80/90. that big rep at the end was HARD , and i think the main reason why i got it up was because i was so afraid of the alternative, i.e. letting it come back down. it looked like it was going to stick after i'd already done the first six or eight inches or so. so it was a pretty grindy rep and there might have been a bit of a wobble in there, but overall i feel like it was strong. just veeeeeeerrrrry slow.

then i did some more reps at much lighter weights. much much lighter. MUCH lighter . . . like i think 60 pounds.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Workout A
    Squats 83 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press 63 lbs 4x6

Kettlebell Swings 21x10x25
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Question: I was thinking of doing SL every other day, so that some weeks would be four days of lifting. Mainly I just like it and want to do more! Would there be any drawbacks? Does anybody else do this?

i did that when i was doing sl, pretty much. now and then i'd take a double day off, but once i'd gotten into a groove i'd have longish stretches where it was just lift-rest-lift-rest-rinse-repeat.

iirc, i didn't have much of a problem with it. the main point was that i'd set the one benchmark: lift 3x a week. and then if i happened to lift 4x that was fine, and if i happened not to feel like doing the fourth one that was fine too.

i will mention though that i wouldn't personally recommend that you lift every day. a slightly more measured pace gives you more time to notice small problems as they're developing, and adjust/correct them before you find yourself with an irritated muscle/tendon/joint that wants you to take a month off.

• Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I got to the gym last night, had to rush and couldn't do a bunch of extra stuff because I had a meeting to attend at 8.. but here's what I got done:

Warmup: Treadmill Walk/Sprint alternate 1/2 mile.
    Barbell Squat: 5x5 135 lbs (was hard.. I had to grunt to get the last rep.. lol)
    Overhead Press: 4x5 65 lbs.. failed the last attempt at this.. will do 65 again next time. I'll get it!
    Deadlift: 1x5 165 lbs Lifted this!! 10 lbs over my own body weight!!! FELT AMAZING!