augus[t] someone should make a new daily workout thread then

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Of course I brought my kettle bell along so that I can get my exercise in! I would never go anywhere without it!
    Thanks dedication Fanncy -- and I love it!

I am going to Australia and New Zealand in October. So I had the thought of taking my Kettlebell. But then I thought about how much it would count toward my total weight allowed for check in. I love how you can take it anywhere except for flying I guess. :(
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    last day of deload and trainer day. i did my stuff, but i so wasn't there for it. hips are tight as two super-tight things and i was getting a great big acetathingy impingement pinch with every squat rep. really spoils all the fun of the lift. mr t heard me saying i think the biking is messing with my shoulder rotation as well, so he set me up to do a few sets of seal rows.

okay, so seal rows are extremely silly-looking. they also take for freaking ever to set up, so by the time you're doing them you might as well work yourself into the ground. but i am going to say that getting to pull purely with my back with NO extra angles or leverages in the picture at all was a revelation and i can see why all the guys i lift with are willing to put up with the extra fuss and how silly it looks.

all in all though, heart just not in it today. i did it and it's done and that's about all the commentary i have.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to gym after being lazy all morning. Ate just over half of my calories at lunch cause eh, it happens. mmm trail mix. Needed fuel for workout right? Did some upper body lifting then talked to gym person. No one had contacted me so finally I just set up the day with the trainer there. I have wednesday off from work so that will be the day and we'll see what they say about things to do during maintenance/very very slow bulk. Curious what the anytime fitness trainer thinks on that topic. Will be interesting at least. After that I did a 45 minute jog on the treadmill.

band pulls - 3x10
    bench press - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 3x5 @ 95 (grind at the end)
    chin ups - 3x2
    cable bicep curl - 3x8 @ 35
    face pull - 3x10 @ 35
    pallof press - 3x10 @ 20

5 walk, 45 jog and 10 walk on treadmill

Working on some youtube stuff. I am going to do a video first from the Aug 7 Warped Tour, once I get all of the clips onto my laptop. Then I have a Q&A from members of a writing site. Trying to get more going though still have a long ways to go for building my online presence. Only 2 subscribers of my youtube channel, so yeah, long way to go overall. Content will be helpful so I'm working on it now. Plus might write before bed. I have morning shift tomorrow then it's evening shift, morning shift and evening shift. Fun weekend indeed.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Dawn- you should post a link to your YouTube video!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    forgot to mention . . . we set my training max for overhead press back to 65 pounds for the next cycle up.

i will not be sad about this. i will not be sad about this. i will not be sad about this. i will remember that three months from now it will be a perfectly normal blip and in fact i will probably see it as a brilliant move that did me nothing but good . . . soi will not be sad about this.

i'm sad about this. i'm glad that i'm giving myself another chance to not just not-advance but actually back up and come at that hurdle weight of 70 all over again. but the fact is i'm sad about it.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    forgot to mention . . . we set my training max for overhead press back to 65 pounds for the next cycle up.

i will not be sad about this. i will not be sad about this. i will not be sad about this. i will remember that three months from now it will be a perfectly normal blip and in fact i will probably see it as a brilliant move that did me nothing but good . . . soi will not be sad about this.

i'm sad about this. i'm glad that i'm giving myself another chance to not just not-advance but actually back up and come at that hurdle weight of 70 all over again. but the fact is i'm sad about it.

I have an Orwellian-sounding motto that I repeat to myself every time I have to reset: Failure is progress.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Today's workout:
    Squat 5x5 @ 115 lb
    OHP 5x5 @ 52.5 lb (going to repeat next time, I keep leaning back too much and cheating)
    Deadlift 1x5 (or maybe more like 1x3 and 1x1 and 1x1) at 135 lb.
    Was supposed to do good mornings but I'm tired! So I'll put them on next time's workout.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Dawn- you should post a link to your YouTube video!

I agree!

@VeryKatie nice job! Is leaning back on OHP cheating? I've failed 2x now at 55# and just try to get that sucker UP! Not sure if I lean back or not...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    @VeryKatie nice job! Is leaning back on OHP cheating?

i don't think it's cheating . . . but i try to avoid doing it too. or doing a certain version of it. just like you shouldn't hyper-extend your lower back to lock out a deadlift, you probably shouldn't hyper-extend it while doing a press. any time i've gotten a press up by leaning too far back, i've felt ishy/cheaty about it afterwards. it's not the form that i want to have, basically. and i always feel like 'okay, but could you do it without that big lean? not sure that it counts if you had to use it.'
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell swing- 25X10X35
    End of week 2 transition from 30-35lb Kettlebell during SL and rest days.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I've posted before and have a link to youtube in my instagram, but if I can get the right link again (i've done the wrong one before), I will get it linked in here again.

Today was up and down so far. Did eat food before lifting this time since today is deadlifts but the bread thing I got from the hispanic grocery store made me a bit nauseated. I was a little bloated today too, could tell since squat day I used the fifth hole on the belt which is bit newer to use. Today the 4th was tight. Course, I'm also smart and ate more of the bread after lifting... yep. Anyways, I work 3-11 pm today (probably wont' eat anything during work) then tomorrow have to be there at 7 am. Going to be tiring and I'm already tired today. Watching the cat nap and wishing I could do that instead.

front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75, 3x6 @ 100
    good morning - 3x8 @ 100
    deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, belt 1x4 @ 205 and 1x4, 2x3, 1x2 @ 225

Thinking I put my goal a little high on deadlifts. Probably going to adjust a little as 4x4 @ 225 is a little much at this time. I have time to work it out and keep working up but might fix the "peak cycle" excel just a little. Now to get ready and go to work. blah
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Week 4, Day 3

Squat: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115, 5/4/4/4/3 @ 135
    OHP: 5x5 @ 45
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 135, 1x5 @ 155

Didn't do accessories as I took 1.5 hr aerial silks class in the afternoon.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    did my squats for 5's week. 75/85/95 pounds, and oy vey. at this weight, dive-bombing them just doesn't work anymore. not unless i want to rip half my back muscles out. so i took them slow . . . did four reps of the last set before i realised i wasn't using my new non-suicide grip, so i put the bar back and rested a while and then re-did the set. i'm gonna log it as 5 reps with the secret knowledge that i did kind of amrap a bit.

on the plus side of things someone random who knew i was 'power lifting' (heh) accosted me to compliment my form and there wasn't even an 'if i could just make a suggestion' sting in the tail.

or maybe i just blocked him off from doing it by taking the compliment so seriously he couldn't find a way around to the negative part. anyway, i was taking my time and trying hard so maybe not. and they did feel pretty honest form-wise, except for a bit of acetabular pinch with some reps, on the right.

need to fix that pinch. it's going to give me new half-conscious avoidance patterns that are going to mess me up in some yet-other way if i don't get on it soon.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP- 1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR- 5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 23X 10 X 35
    Week three, transition to using the 35 pound kettle bell during SL workout as well as every rest day.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie nice job! Is leaning back on OHP cheating?

i don't think it's cheating . . . but i try to avoid doing it too. or doing a certain version of it. just like you shouldn't hyper-extend your lower back to lock out a deadlift, you probably shouldn't hyper-extend it while doing a press. any time i've gotten a press up by leaning too far back, i've felt ishy/cheaty about it afterwards. it's not the form that i want to have, basically. and i always feel like 'okay, but could you do it without that big lean? not sure that it counts if you had to use it.'

Oh haha I consider it cheating since it turns it more into a bench press than a shoulder exercise. And under heavy weight can be dangerous for your back :neutral:
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    Noot30 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I have started back at Stronglifts after doing NROL.. I really struggle getting any improvement on Bench Presses, and failed my last round.. Any tips on how to work on them?!

Thanks

Do your feet touch the ground? I struggle with bench press because my feet barely touch the ground so my back is all out of alignment. Last time I benched I put an aerobics step at the base of the bench for my feet and it really helped.

If your feet barely touch the ground, try putting plate on the ground so you can get your feet down. I push through my feet on bench engaging my entire body. It helps a lot.

Since we're all speaking of bench, I did my workout yesterday and failed bench horrible! But I'm on a cut and I was tired yesterday so, whatever. At least I crushed the other stuff.

Squats - 5x5 @ 130 - 10 lbs away from my previous weight from before messing my hip up!
    Bench - 5/5/3/4/2 @ 100 - bleh! I actually dropped an f bomb in the gym on one of the fails. Whoops! But on the plus side I got to practice my roll of death a lot hahah. I'm pretty confident I will not be killed by the barbell if I can't make a rep without a spot.
    Row - 5x5 @ 105

I want... to see... a picture of your arms... It takes so long for me to progress on bench press! I'm jealous haha. It's going to take me 30 weeks at least to get up to there. It seems like I can only add 2.5 lbs every other bench press day.

Annnd I take forever to reply. Haha! My arms aren't much to write home about. I'm on a cut now so hopefully when it's done they'll have some nice definition. I progressed really fast on bench and now I'm stuck. Last workout I FINALLY got to 105 but I kind of cheated since I moved to 3x5, I don't think I would have hit that 5x5. I was trying to maintain 5x5 on this cut but my body was telling me nope.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Quick workout yesterday, skipped accessories due to lack of time.
    Walked a ton on Saturday-got over 7.5k steps in while shopping and visiting.

SQ: 5x5 @70
    OHP: 5/5/3/4 @55
    DL: 1x4 @110

Body weight is still hovering around 191, and royally pissing me off. I dont want to stop the strong lifts program, but really want to see this fat get blasted away. Might shake up my workouts to 2 SL days a week, and 2/3 zumba, high cardio and see where that takes me. :angry:

Obsessed with my strong new arms! I have a new muscle definition from a certain angle and cant wait to bench press again!

It's been a bit since I've been on this board. Excuse the late reply. I'm cutting right now and didn't want to drop SL. I switched to ICF which still has all the SL compounds in it but it adds accessory work. The cutting version is 3x5 on the mains and 2x8 on the accessories.
  • fanncy0626
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35
    I went on line to Walmart.com and was able to order a set of three kettle bells for $130. It was a bundle and is cheaper then $102 for just one. You can usually get a kettle bell for around a dollar a pound +5 dollars. But, for some reason they're 40 pound kettle bell was very expensive. Then I saw the bundle and I got a 40, 45, and 50 pound. So I saved a little money.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    so tired of the internal shoulder rotation that long bike rides give, that i turned my hands upside down and did a good part of both rides in aggressive EXternal rotation instead. it felt good in quite a number of ways and i don't think i can blame that for the fact that i walked up part of the hill coming home.

for that, i have to go side-eye the squats. except doms-of-death throughout the posterior chain all day long is at least a sign that i wasn't doing those squats with my quads. so that's yay. except oh gawd, i don't want to even think about bikes till tomorrow morning at least.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies! I've been lurking, but still working out!!

Today was 2x 6 minutes of hiits then

10x 10 bench press and 10x10 barbell rows. Took almost an hour so no time for anything extra.